Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: 5mall5nail5 Turbo E34 Build Part IV!

My Cars
    e30
    Those MIL spec connectors are nice!
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    When will you spray?
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by bubela View Post
    When will you spray?
    You mean conditionally or like how soon from now?

My Cars
    e30isT, b18c5 coupe
    Wow. those solenoids look beautiful.

Do you plan on spraying fuel?

[ 1990 325is Turbo ]
    "..a true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so totally sick
    that the act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster."
    -Tony DeFeo

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    You mean conditionally or like how soon from now?
    Both
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
    Wow. those solenoids look beautiful.

Do you plan on spraying fuel?
    Not at this time - I am doing a dry shot however, integrating the output into (out of?) the ECU means I will be enriching the fuel mixture when the nitrous is on... so it'll be just nitrous injection but it will be supplemented by fuel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Both
    I guess I could answer both lol doh. Conditionally, I plan on having the ECU ground the solenoid SSR (solid state relay, basically just a big transistor) from 3500 RPM until 6500 RPM and when throttle > 99% with 3% of hysteresis. I would also like to incorporate an input for bottle pressure or line pressure, but that's where I am hitting a wall with DTA. So, right now, it'll be enabled when switched on, RPM 3600-6500, and TPS > 99%.

Regarding when I'll have it going - well, that's the big question lol. I actually plan on pulling my turbo manifold in a week or two So, it could be some time, but I don't foresee it taking a long long while. I also got some more parts in this evening which are kind of neat.

Just checked the mailbox and these came in!

Aquamist Check Valves by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Check valves (4mm inlet/outlet) for each nozzle for direct port meth. If I do a rip in high gear and let off I can hear (see!?) flames poppin behind me. Engine vacuum is drawing methanol out of my tubing and its burning out the exhaust. So, these check valves will be placed just at the nozzle so no siphoning can occur.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 01-13-2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 Trans Am
    Blowing flames is baller... but I guess it's not always desireable... I guess.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Haha yeah it's less than ideal - I don't mind some flames when antilagging or what not, but flames on decel looks and sounds broken lol

My Cars
    BMWs
    Blech - I needed a bottle adapter fitting/nut so I can run a -4AN line instead of the prefab style line, blow-off tube so I can evacuate the bottle out the bottom of the car if it goes over pressure, and then I needed some -8AN hose for that and a 150 deg swivel fitting, a 90 deg swivel, and a straight fitting (all -8AN). Then I realized how expensive AN crap is, ugh.

So, it all came today and... for the cost... I really don't have much to show lol.

Bottle fittings by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

One step closer, I guess! Going to poke a hole in the floor soon. But, now I can go get the bottle filled since I won't need to remove the blow-off fitting.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Looking good, bud!
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    e30isT, b18c5 coupe
    I always wanted to do some sort of quick release for the blowdown and feed line. It would make refills slightly less annoying.

[ 1990 325is Turbo ]
    "..a true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so totally sick
    that the act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster."
    -Tony DeFeo

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Looking good, bud!
    Thanks ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
    I always wanted to do some sort of quick release for the blowdown and feed line. It would make refills slightly less annoying.
    Yeah I thought about a big push connect but they're not very flexible. AN hose seems the most reasonable.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Torqued the blow-off fitting on my bottle - there's a 3000 psi burst disc under the fitting that must be torqued to exactly 15 ft lb to function properly.

Nitrous Blow-Off Torquing by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Nitrous Blow-Off Fitting by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

And called it a night.

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Torqued the blow-off fitting on my bottle - there's a 3000 psi burst disc under the fitting that must be torqued to exactly 15 ft lb to function properly.

And called it a night.
    Is that a hinged head on the wrench?

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post

Is that a hinged head on the wrench?
    Yessir

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using BF.com

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Yessir

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using BF.com
    This may be the dumbest question i ask all year. But does it (the hinge) affect the TQ value? I only ask because, when i was a kid i was always told to never put an extension on a torque wrench (which i do all the time for my wheel studs) because it would affect the torque value? Not true huh?

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post
    This may be the dumbest question i ask all year. But does it (the hinge) affect the TQ value? I only ask because, when i was a kid i was always told to never put an extension on a torque wrench (which i do all the time for my wheel studs) because it would affect the torque value? Not true huh?
    It does but not by much. This is a CDI torque wrench (made for Snap On). The instructions were very well written so I had taken photos of them check it out:

Torque Wrench manual by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Basically, the flex head moves 15 deg which is the max deflection. The reason you want to avoid extensions is because they twist and eat up some of the torque. If you ran a 3/8" torque wrench through a 1/2" or 3/4" extension there'd be no issue. They just warn you not to run long extensions because they twist and the torque reading is wrong. Flex head is fine (and great!) so long as its not more than 15 deg.

My Cars
    2001 330i

And called it a night.
    Smart guy.

I've done it wrong and wasted a ton of nitrous at the filling station when we found the burst discs were leaking.

I've also over-heated some bottles, and seen the pressure up into the red zone. If you do that, you should really replace the burst disc with a new one...as I found they deflect a fair amount reducing the actual burst pressure. (Remember, cycles of use also fatigues the burst discs)

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Smart guy.

I've done it wrong and wasted a ton of nitrous at the filling station when we found the burst discs were leaking.

I've also over-heated some bottles, and seen the pressure up into the red zone. If you do that, you should really replace the burst disc with a new one...as I found they deflect a fair amount reducing the actual burst pressure. (Remember, cycles of use also fatigues the burst discs)
    Yeah man - its kind of crazy to think that a little metal disc about 0.03" thick is holding in the bottle pressure lol.

I read up on people just torquing by feel and having issues, so I figured I'd try and do it to spec. Dry, no oil, 15 ft lb. We'll see!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Not too much progress today. Ran out at lunch to fill her up.

Bottle full by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Not entirely thrilled that it was $10/lb vs $5/lb as advertised.

My Cars
    BMWs
    So Greg (93fim5) was going to machine me some bottle brackets and then I'd finish fabbing up my bracket. But I realized I would still need a bottle warmer. The bottle wrap warmers are ok and all but I realized for cheaper than custom brackets + bottle wrap warmer, I could get this:

ARC Bottle Warmer/Bracket by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

So, I decided to not custom make something for once lol. Its a nice clean setup, I like it! US made, the bottle warmer plate bolts to the brackets and stays in the car vs unstrapping the bottle all the time. The brackets use nice fat silicone cord where it clamps the bottle so as to avoid scratching. Really nice piece all in all.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 01-24-2013 at 07:15 PM.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Very nice Jon!!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Not bad right Greg? I would have liked to make it... but... its already available... and I like the silicone bottle heater pad... so... we'll have to make something else cool lol

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Not entirely thrilled that it was $10/lb vs $5/lb as advertised.
    We get 56 Lb "mother" bottles up here. Even with a proper pump system, we can only pull on average 48 lbs out of a bottle. This adds to the cost because you have to pay for 56 lbs from the supplier.

We're now up to $15/lb after taxes....

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Sheesh, I didn't know that stuff was so expensive!

Why do n2o at $10-15/lb when o2 is FREE!?
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast