Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637

Thread: 5mall5nail5 Turbo E34 Build Part IV!

My Cars
    M3
    Ah okay, this is my first cpu I've overclocked so not 100% familiar with it. I've got a closed loop water cooler I don't think I've hit 45C with it. Very nice setup.

My Cars
    BMWs
    So - been eons. I've done a few small maintenance/improvement things on the turbo car but nothing really worth covering. I switched form having my cooling fan relays on a flying lead harness (and getting wet and failing) to a Leash Electronics 4-relay board which I'll also incorporate nitrous stuff into - you can check it out here: http://www.leashelectronics.com/4-Re...ard-4R2012.htm

It's pretty nice - potted, so no worries about moisture and comes with 4 high quality 70A relays. All in all, nice.

But on to other news - my wife was driving a 2007 Volvo S40 2.4i which she absolutely loved. It was auto, slow, and not too fancy, but it was a good car. Any way in the past 12 - 18 months I've had to do new axles, new struts, new A/C condenser (which didn't fix AC issue), and more recently it had an oil leak at the top of the engine which started to burn off and stink. The Volvo dealer diagnosed as a failed PCV Box (its like the oil filter housing and PCV system all built into one). So, not having enough time lately to do repairs, we had the dealer do that, an oil change, etc. Figured if we can fix her up for like $600 and carry on we'd be in good shape. Well, got the car back and it smelled worse from the degreaser/cleaner they used, the oil leak didn't seem to be resolved, etc. So, we threw the towel in. Wife got 181k good miles out of "Little Red" but we need something with a warranty and that just ... works on all fronts. It had intermittent A/C in the summer, was coming up on brakes again, tires, etc.

Went to a Hyundai dealership to look at the Tuscon since my wife wants a smallish crossover jobby. Well, the car was not very impressive but I guess I expected that. Worse though was the treatment at the dealership - no one cared you were there. Sure we did a test drive, but there were times we asked the salesman (in the back seat) a question on something and he wasn't listening. Then, get back to the table to look at numbers, and the guy keeps quoting MSRP. Right yeah, but I want the $5000 off that's on the website. "Oh, well, those are military, recent college grad, prisoner of war, eating disorder, and phobia discounts... do you qualify for any of that?" - ugh. So, we left feeling more confused/unsure of what to do. Also, my wife wasn't asking for a ton she just wanted electric seats, heated seats (SE PA ya know), and if possible, a sunroof. By time you add that to the Tuscon it's approaching $30k.... wtf.

So, having looked at some CPOs on my phone in the area, we dropped into the BMW dealership down the street. My wife always wanted an X1/X3/X5. They had an F30 328 listed with ~40k on it for $22k and figured why not. That car sold, however, and they had a white X1 on the lot but it was more than we wanted to pay. The salesman (who was excellent and not pushy in the least, which is why my family has bought 3 or 4 cars from this BMW dealer) said "Wait if you like X1s check this one out in the showroom". I figured any CPO in the showroom was going to be out of the range of what we wanted to pay... but I was surprised. In short, after carefully evaluating everything, we ended up with a 2015 X1 xdrive28i M Sport with ultimate package (incld. premium, technology, driver assistance), lighting package, cold weather, 19" optional M wheels, etc. etc.

My wife is in love with it. Its Black Sapphire metallic on black w/ dark brush aluminum trim. It's got the anthracite pillars and headliner due to the M package and of course has the huge panoramic sunroof.

I think the wheel and color combination looks killer. We did get the dealers protection on the wheels/tires because my wife will now be driving around SE PA with 19"... so... yeah. Anyway, that's the update for now! Turbo car got moved over in the garage to make a little spot for this beauty!
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 12-15-2017 at 01:31 PM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Good update Jon, it's a fantastic thing to have a happy wife!

As an aside, do you remember much of the detail of the turbo car at this point? It's been a long time now since you were deep into it.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Good update Jon, it's a fantastic thing to have a happy wife!

As an aside, do you remember much of the detail of the turbo car at this point? It's been a long time now since you were deep into it.
    Thanks! I agree - she's worked hard for it so it's only fitting. I am pretty good w/ the turbo car still thanks to notes and photos. I even went so far as to make a wiring harness diagram back when building it so I know what goes where lol

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    It's got a mini turbo!
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by bubela View Post
    It's got a mini turbo!
    Small little baby turbski in there

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Small little baby turbski in there
    For now....?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Lol for good.. I hope!

My Cars
    E46 320, e34 525
    Hey! I love your build! You are great inspiration as i myself is also building a e34 turbo! Ive been searching but havent found out, what dimensions are the intercooler you have in your signature? Or what dimensions would you recommend for a e34 525 without ac?

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637