Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: 5mall5nail5 Turbo E34 Build Part IV!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by ivarapollo View Post
    Do you just not want to sell your adapter or what ?
    Sorry dude missed your post. Been on holiday here for like 12 days. I don't currently have any adapters machined. Probably won't be able to turn any out in the immediate future. If you're extremely interested I can work on it but right now do not have any on hand.

My Cars
    e34 m5
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Sorry dude missed your post. Been on holiday here for like 12 days. I don't currently have any adapters machined. Probably won't be able to turn any out in the immediate future. If you're extremely interested I can work on it but right now do not have any on hand.
    No problem dude !
    ok, if you can make a set I really need on, but if you cant, is there a chance that I get the messurments for the addapters
    ivarapollo92@gmail.com

My Cars
    BMWs
    Little projects today. I shortened the cord on the Verizon FiOS Power Supply - not too hard, just a little desoldering and what not. The hardest part was getting that stupid stress relief boot back on lol.

FiOS Power Supply Shortened by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

FiOS Power Supply Shortened by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Much nicer! No cords draped across the panel. I added that outlet today and split my garage into two circuits. The two opposite walls are on separate 20A circuits and the far wall opposite the breaker has two quad boxes on a third circuit. I know people might recommend having even fewer outlets on more circuits, but the truth is this is a 1-person shop and I doubt I'll ever run more than a shop vac and air compressor at the same time, so two 20A has always been enough for me and having three circuits for 120v should never pose a problem.

I also shortened the cord on my craftsman C3 charger as well - its mounted further from the outlet than I intend, but it's just temporary while I finish taping the seams of the drywall.

Shortened Verizon by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Shortened charger by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Shortened charger by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

And that's all for today. It's snowed about 7 - 10" so I haven't taken the time to move some things from the garage to the shed. I need to finish taping the drywall and then I will prime and get ready for paint! Oh, I also put a smoke detector in the garage w/ a 10-year lithium ion battery just for some comfort.

I also treated myself to a new toy lol

Redcat Volcano S30 by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Redcat Volcano S30 by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

This is a Redcat Racing Volcano S30 - its a pretty affordable yet pretty awesome nitro rc truck. It's 4x4 and looks real solid. This is my third nitro powered RC car, but first "truck" (4x4 anyway, I have a 2wd stadium truck from HPI). Super pumped to mess with it tomorrow.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    I'm currently hooked on RC helicopters

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender13Bender View Post
    I'm currently hooked on RC helicopters
    Nice I have a blade 120SR which is fun

My Cars
    '13 E92 M3; '11 E82 1M..
    What solder gun setup are you running? Satisfied with it?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
    What solder gun setup are you running? Satisfied with it?
    I used to have a similar Weller (not digital though) but switched to this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...oldering+irons

It's nice - and its not as expensive as a digital Weller setup. The reviews all say that the tips are not available and thus they give it 2 or 3 out of 5 stars, but the truth is it uses a Hakko 936 style tip and is thus widely available.

My Cars
    yes
    Hakko all the way!! Actually had a "Race Station" by Ungar that was a great iron as well. Used that because I was a 1/8 scale gas- 1/10 scale electric RC car enthusiast for years. When I got out of sprint cars, I had to do something to take the edge off the habit!! I had a blast with it for about 5 years, won the ROAR national championship and quit...LOL!! Geez, that brings back memories.

Nice work Jon, as usual!!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Thanks again Don

I was really hoping to focus on getting more work on the garage done this weekend but I ended up doing lunch with my mother on Friday and running errands and then I spent most of Saturday building my wife a new desktop. Well, its not "new", its from a server I had that my mom transitioned off of - Core i7 2.4GHz with 16GB ram, Nvidia GTX 275 SC, 4 or 5TB of disks (WD Caviar Blacks), Blu-ray writer, 700W corsair PSU, blah blah... either way, killer machine for her. She does a lot of graphic design (she's an editor by profession). So, I set it up for her, cloned her laptop to a bigger (500GB drive), and started setting up her craft room. She got an awesome standing project table for Christmas and I set that up for her. So anyway, that was the theme for the weekend...

Project Table by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Excuse the mess the craft room has been the "crap" room lol

More fun though, I decided I am going to network the addition like I did the rest of the house so I started with dropping CAT6 in her craft room.

Craftroom CAT6 by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

I started out using my Klein fish tape reel but it was being annoying going through an insulated wall. I ran to Lowes and picked up some "fish sticks" per a family members recommendation. They are awesome - they're 3/16" fiber glass rods that thread together for a total length of 15'. They are flexible enough to bend but at the same time poke through insulation and all. They worked WAY better than the fish reel.

Fish sticks! by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

They also glow in the dark in case you leave them some place in the attic/etc. So I got done stapling the CAT6 wire every 12 - 16" and then made a quick and dirty rack for the punch panel I had laying around.

Attic 2 Patch Panel by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Pretty nice for 2x4's. Thought about doing it with a nice metal housing but for $60 its not worth it. My switch is not 1U so it doesn't matter at the end of the day. The FiOS modem/router will be going up here in the attack as well as an 8 port gigabit switch. Out of the way, high up for good wifi coverage, etc. But, in order to run the switch and FiOS stuff I needed power so I ran a quick and dirty 1-gang metal box with a receptacle to plug a surge protector into:

Attic receptacle by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Annnnndddd that's pretty much all I got done. Oh, I cut a hole in the wall of the craft room for a 1-gang old work box with the CAT6 cable and nice keystone plate. All punched down and ready to rock once I move the rest of the electronics up to the attic.

Also, if you don't have a ladder like this, get one - super convenient!

Extending ladder by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Ok that's all. Maybe some more garage work tomorrow night after work. Need to change the oil in my wifes volvo. Zzzz.

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    OP high jacked his own thread
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Compactive View Post
    qq jelly reported

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Compactive View Post
    Lol

Jon, what brand is that ladder. Looks neat.

So, you just joined a nearby wire for the receptacle in the attic?
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Lol

Jon, what brand is that ladder. Looks neat.

So, you just joined a nearby wire for the receptacle in the attic?
    It's an "Xtend" I got it from Sherwin Williams on a sale.

http://www.xtendandclimb.com/product...g-ladders.html

For the receptacle I tied into a circuit I found feeding the family room. It was always hot so I just shut the breaker off and did a junction box.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    It's an "Xtend" I got it from Sherwin Williams on a sale. http://www.xtendandclimb.com/product...g-ladders.html For the receptacle I tied into a circuit I found feeding the family room. It was always hot so I just shut the breaker off and did a junction box.
    Yeah, I figured you just did a junction box. That's cool. Thank you!

Damn, I must Thank you. I'm going to get one of those pro series models. Being a contractor, you don't know how many times I needed that extra ladder or it wouldn't fit in the truck. Or, I just forgot.

Found my next toy. I can't wait to try one. I hope it works out. It says 225lb which is pretty standard for most ladders. I hope that it kicks butt. Everyone should love it because it's so small and light.
    Last edited by BadBoostedBmwM3; 01-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Love all the updates as usual. Looking good. About time to start working on that e34 in that pimp garage.
    Also, if you don't have a ladder like this, get one - super convenient!
    That is sweet! I went to a home inspection a few weeks ago and hadn't seen one of those yet. I drove up, inspector was early and I knew which car was his because it was all vinyled up with advertising. I did a double take noticing it was a Leaf and was like "WTF?". What Inspector drives a Leaf? How the F is he gonna get in the attic? By jumpin' on my back lol? Then I saw him whip out that little guy and I was like, touche inspector...touche.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yeah, I figured you just did a junction box. That's cool. Thank you!

Damn, I must Thank you. I'm going to get one of those pro series models. Being a contractor, you don't know how many times I needed that extra ladder or it wouldn't fit in the truck. Or, I just forgot.

Found my next toy. I can't wait to try one. I hope it works out. It says 225lb which is pretty standard for most ladders. I hope that it kicks butt. Everyone should love it because it's so small and light.
    Nice - glad you found it useful. They are great ladders. The obvious drawback is that you need something to lean it against and so it's not as diverse as an a-frame/folding ladder, but they have some telescoping folding ones too but they get nasty expensive. It's awesome that it folds down I can fit it in my closet no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Love all the updates as usual. Looking good. About time to start working on that e34 in that pimp garage.
    That is sweet! I went to a home inspection a few weeks ago and hadn't seen one of those yet. I drove up, inspector was early and I knew which car was his because it was all vinyled up with advertising. I did a double take noticing it was a Leaf and was like "WTF?". What Inspector drives a Leaf? How the F is he gonna get in the attic? By jumpin' on my back lol? Then I saw him whip out that little guy and I was like, touche inspector...touche.
    Yeah I first saw these when our inspector took it out of his subaru this time last year. I said hey I need that lol. They are a little pricey since they require something to lean against, but at the same time that's probably 90% of the time I use a ladder.

My Cars
    BMWs

So that was close - it put itself thru the spokes of my rear wheel...somehow. It looked like it hit and I was furious, but the slightly bare spots in the snow were in multiple places on the other side too so I think it might just be melted areas. Took the cover off and pulled it in the garage (thank goodness for 60% LSD, it was on ice basically) and she looks fine... took pics and all though just in case I need to call insurance once it clears up and I can pull it out and get a better look.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3

So that was close - it put itself thru the spokes of my rear wheel...somehow. It looked like it hit and I was furious, but the slightly bare spots in the snow were in multiple places on the other side too so I think it might just be melted areas. Took the cover off and pulled it in the garage (thank goodness for 60% LSD, it was on ice basically) and she looks fine... took pics and all though just in case I need to call insurance once it clears up and I can pull it out and get a better look.

How limited is %60 for daily driving? Are you dragging your tires in the turns?
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    How limited is %60 for daily driving? Are you dragging your tires in the turns?
    When the car is cold and I make a sharp 90 degree turn I chirp the inside a little bit. Other than that it's great. No turn-in issues or anything.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Holy crap that's a lot of snow. We got 1/8" here that didn't stick a couple of weeks back... they shut the whole city down (every major interstate, toll road - EVERYTHING). That was enough for me.

(srsly, I can drive in snow just fine, I just worry about the other people around me who can't)

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Holy crap that's a lot of snow. We got 1/8" here that didn't stick a couple of weeks back... they shut the whole city down (every major interstate, toll road - EVERYTHING). That was enough for me.

(srsly, I can drive in snow just fine, I just worry about the other people around me who can't)
    LOL thats really a pretty minor amount of snow bud
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post

haha yeah - its all relative. This was actually rain/ice which brought the limbs down. we had like 12" of snow the week prior and then that partially melted we had another 10 - 12" this past weekend. So, we had a good 12 - 18" of snow in places, then it rained and iced.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmbmw View Post
    LOL thats really a pretty minor amount of snow bud
    Yeah not much in that pic but it was about 1/4 - 3/8" of ice. Pretty nasty. We've had a TON of snow this year though. Maybe not as much as canada but we've been getting 10 - 12" storms for the last few weeks.

This was a couple days ago:

Some snow by Jon Kensy, on Flickr
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 02-05-2014 at 08:32 PM.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    I love a good snow!

60% what made you choose that?
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    this is becoming a more and more rare sight where i live
    Viktor Agnar Falk Gušmundsson
    -----------------------------

Signature idea, courtesy of 5mall5nails

My Cars
    BMWs
    I love a good snow!

60% what made you choose that?
    More lockage. Really, more clutches to wear down before having an issue. It's nice with high % lock it just grips no free wheeling in any turns what so ever, and going straight... its awesome.

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast