Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspension options for lowering the E39 Touring

My Cars
    90 Sr20det 325i 99 528iT
    Got an email back from both Megan and BC. Megan does not make a kit and BC has never tried fitting a sedan kit on the rear of a touring.
    1990 325i just has a sr20det swap.....
    1999 528iT Rocking Borbet CB's for winter Style 37's For summer. Just stock for now.....

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKFAN

Hope I was answer your question and provide some insight.
    Thanks a load man! Too bad about the BCs and rears as I really like the look and value otherwise. Up in air still but STs moving up on the list...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    01 540it Sport/BrabusCLK
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Thanks a load man! Too bad about the BCs and rears as I really like the look and value otherwise. Up in air still but STs moving up on the list...
    You're welcome.

I just noticed my gramar from 4am this morning...lol

"If everyone thought the same when it came to modding there would be no thinking"

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Parts for the rear shocks have been ordered by Fortune Auto. Can't wait to get them in and see how the rear feels now. Then I hope to have updates with kit availability

My Cars
    e36M3, e39540iT, e12530i
    Sorry if this has already been answered. If purchasing a set of coilovers either KW or ST and your wagon has sls.., why not buy the set for wagons without sls, re-sell the rear coilovers then buy some rear shocks and links? It looks like their priced the same? Thanks.

edit: I thought it might be nice to try and help out a non sls member with what i mentioned above but I think im going to place an order tomorrow. Thank you all for so much great information.
    This is how its goin down..pun intended... Hope this works out...

99,540it- 19"Mpar Reps (on the way from Dennis Cooper, thanks man) Rear275/30 Front245/35? - Upper control arm and rear subframe bushings on the way- Plan on ordering the ST Coilover setup for sls tomorrow.
    Also Im waiting for the wheels to get here before i buy tires so i would love to hear how people feel about the (R.275/30- F.245/35) versus the (R.265/30- F.235/35) setups?
    Also not sure what to do with the 18x9 square Breytons that were on the car when i bought it. I think there breytons that were poorly painted black? Dont know much about them, ie, quality? value?
    Will update w/photos when everything gets here.
    Quick Update: Ordered the ST coilovers for wagons with sls. Im in cali so they said i should have them by monday (4 to 5 days fyi). Also ordered the coilover instalation kit to try and make my life easy and have things proper. all from esc tuning.
    Last edited by Flycaper; 12-13-2012 at 06:18 PM.

My Cars
    e36M3, e39540iT, e12530i
    Hey guys. Just an update. Got the ST coilovers today and when I opened the box to my surprise there was a set of rear springs. Haha. I cross checked all of my order forms to make sure i did not miss-order the setup. My orders were correct, "ST Coilovers for wagons with sls". Thankfully the guys at KW and esc tuning are all being very helpful to get things straightened out. To top it off i think I missed the wheel delivery, going to pick-up at 6pm.

Here are some photos of what i received in case any of you have an order out for these. I will update when its resolved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    FYI, I spoke to Ground Control last month. They are also working on a coilover set up for the rear of E39 Tourings. I already have a front set of GC coilovers and will be removing the rear OEM SLS system once the rear coilovers are available. Just another option to consider.

My Cars
    E34, E368
    What aren't you happy about with the rear SLS?

My Cars
    01 540it Sport/BrabusCLK
    Quote Originally Posted by clevertd View Post
    What aren't you happy about with the rear SLS?
    I can speak for myself when I say that I love my sls. Reason being that no matter how much weight I put in ny car the rear lifts back up to my already pretty low ride height.

"If everyone thought the same when it came to modding there would be no thinking"

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    I'm actually very happy with the SLS, I love the adjustability and the ride feels great. But, for the purpose of my build, keeping the SLS is not ideal.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    I'm actually very happy with the SLS, I love the adjustability and the ride feels great. But, for the purpose of my build, keeping the SLS is not ideal.
    yeah I totally agree w/ other guys SLS is great for road car and I intend to keep it, but i've always assumed if you are going really hard core it wouldn't be ideal. by the very nature of the air bags there is limited ability to preload. therefore to "lower" you are reducing the spring rate by taking air out of the bags and how stiff it can be at rest. real springs can have preload meaning you can have a very very stiff spring and a low ride height at the same time. that said the E39 is enough of a pig (sorry guys) that I'd never go hardcore on it myself for a tracking setup etc. which is why i'm not worried... but I can understand somebody doing a heavy duty build, or wanting to track the car would want to ditch the airbags.

BTW - i'm leaning towards the ST setup for the 540.

I'd love the V2 or BC etc. setups to have adjustable damping, but since I'm probably simultaneously doing a TCKline setup for the M3 and that's pricey, and I've been running the S6 on the dyno and have the "next bottleneck" disease, I'll probably scale back on the ol' Touring to keep cash freed up to distribute across the other projects...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    F25 X3
    I have a 2003 525iT with sport suspension and SLS. What are my non-coilover options? I've already purchased some Vogtland lowering springs and plan on lowering the rear using some software. I also want to replace the front and rear dampers while I am lowering the car. Was planning on buying Bilstein Sports for the front but I can't seem to find Sports for the rear for a touring with SLS. Any advice/tips are appreciated. TIA.

BTW, I was going to buy OEM sport dampers for the rear but they are $440/ea from www.getbmwparts.com. Ouch.
    Last edited by Busta Rib; 12-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    2014 X3 xDrive35i

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Parts for the rear shocks have been ordered by Fortune Auto. Can't wait to get them in and see how the rear feels now. Then I hope to have updates with kit availability
    Do they sell just the fronts for those with SLS?

My Cars
    2000 528i Touring 5spd
    I've been itching to lower the car slightly (I don't like slammed-scratch-on-every-pebble-on-the-street low) and based on what I'm seeing, I'm thinking of going with lowering springs for the front, links for the rear...and to replace my tired shocks, just getting OEM replacement sport ones. How does this sound?

My Cars
    e36M3, e39540iT, e12530i

suspension options

Quote Originally Posted by derekmw View Post
    I've been itching to lower the car slightly (I don't like slammed-scratch-on-every-pebble-on-the-street low) and based on what I'm seeing, I'm thinking of going with lowering springs for the front, links for the rear...and to replace my tired shocks, just getting OEM replacement sport ones. How does this sound?
    The ST coilovers I just bought were 1000.00. It comes with front coilovers, rear shocks, and adjustable links. The set I bought does not have dampening control but obviously has ride height adjustability. I think front springs, shocks all around, and links might be somewhere around the same price, and in the end you will have no adjustability in the front. Im no expert, just a thought.

My Cars
    1991318i 1988M5 1999E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Flycaper View Post
    The ST coilovers I just bought were 1000.00. It comes with front coilovers, rear shocks, and adjustable links. The set I bought does not have dampening control but obviously has ride height adjustability. I think front springs, shocks all around, and links might be somewhere around the same price, and in the end you will have no adjustability in the front. Im no expert, just a thought.
    Put it on already so I can see how well it works

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwsone01 View Post
    Do you still have 20's on your car?

My Cars
    1991318i 1988M5 1999E39
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Do you still have 20's on your car?
    That would be Kenny. Not me. Lol.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    That would be Kenny. Not me. Lol.
    Hi Nelson! LOL! My bad. So, you are in the E39 world now? So am I. We need to get together man.

To OP - Sorry for thread jack, catching up with an old friend.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Yes, Fortune Auto will just sell the fronts. But.. The spring rates are for the M5 so if you want to install them on an I6 car, just get a softer spring rate. The Fortune's have dampening and they don't compress the shock/spring when you lower the car.

My Cars
    e36M3, e39540iT, e12530i
    i know, i know... they sent me the wrong set so im waiting for the correct set to show up. I will install them as soon as I get them, go drive hard and take some photos of the stance with the 18 breytons and the 19 Mpars. Sorry all for the wait.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Just an update that my Fortune Auto rear shocks should be done next week just in time for me to get a little drive time before I yank the stock motor. Looking forward to reporting back with pix and experience.

My Cars
    02 540iT Sport, 96 993
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Just an update that my Fortune Auto rear shocks should be done next week just in time for me to get a little drive time before I yank the stock motor. Looking forward to reporting back with pix and experience.
    Just to reiterate, you're removing the SLS bags from your car, right?
    Mike
    '02 Titanium Silver 540iT Sport - Birch Anthracite trim, retrofitted window shades, DJ Auto Euro clear corner lenses, BSW t110 subwoofer, Dice Silverline w/DSP, lowering links. Lots of upgrades waiting in the garage for time to install
    '96 Polar Silver Porsche Carrera - MY02 5 spokes, Bilstein PSS9s, Euro TT Sways, KLA Strut bar, Big Red TT Brakes, RS Motor Mounts, RS Shift kit, Recaro A8s, FVD 360mm wheel, HIDs, Big Oval tips

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    My car doesn't have SLS.

My Cars
    e39's, e30's, e46's, e53
    I am installing oem sport springs, sachs sports shocks, and the eibach f/r roll bars tomorrow. I will post up some pics of before/after. I have SLS and einpa on my laptop, so it should be easy to get the rear leveled out after I drop the front of my non-sport 525iT.

Other cars that don't matter, and then..
    '01 530i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather(My 1st love)
    '02 540i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather (German bitch)
    '06 330i Sport/Comfort (Sweetness!)
    '08 535i/6 Sport/Premium/Comfort/Nav ()
    '99 528i Sport Touring (Repaired the Previous owners garbage and let her go)
    '02 525iT Premium/Nav/Cold Weather/Alpine/Supercherry
    '90 325i e30 sedan schwarz (1st e30 project!)
    '90 325is e30
    '06 X5 4.4
    '04 325i Sport
    '04 330ci
    '89 325IX 31k Original Miles!
    '04 330i e46 coupe
    '08 550i Sport
    '13 535i Sport
    '13 328i Luxury
    '88 e30 Stroker

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast