Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Suspension options for lowering the E39 Touring

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    He does up front. But he has SLS in the rear.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    He does up front. But he has SLS in the rear.
    With Bilstein in the rear.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    I have pulled the trigger on Koni yellows and Eibach Pro-kit springs for my non-SLS 525i (with Eibach sways). Any recommendations on how stiff to set the Konis at first? I have read other people say to start fairly soft with them until they break in, but that may just be internet BS... looking forward to sharper handling!

The goal is the have a set of M5 Jed's rear perches and Swift springs, but I figured this was a good starting point!
    Last edited by kingston; 02-20-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

My Cars
    2003 525it
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Going up. Started with 8k. Then went to 10k and currently have 12k. It's getting better each time. I plan to go with 14k (considering 15k though) and will need to have the shocks re-valved as they are currently at their limits. I have a feeling this combo will be a success and I cannot wait. The suspension is the only thing I feel this car is lacking in. And only the rear. The stereo needs more power too but I am using the amp from my old E38 this time. Which adds a little more power to the highs but adds a lot more to the sub.
    What amp are you speaking of? a stock or aftermarket? I recently added a nice subwoofer and amp and then added the Bavsound Stage one speakers, but was not all that impressed and was wondering if I would see the benefits of adding a different amp to those speakers or just a waist of money, like I feel the Bavsound speakers are. Thanks for any advice

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67 View Post
    What amp are you speaking of? a stock or aftermarket? I recently added a nice subwoofer and amp and then added the Bavsound Stage one speakers, but was not all that impressed and was wondering if I would see the benefits of adding a different amp to those speakers or just a waist of money, like I feel the Bavsound speakers are. Thanks for any advice
    RVA very famously sold that car on BaT some time ago... that's a year-old post you're responding to.. Also, this is a suspension thread and that's really completely off topic... there are about 100 thousand audio threads that cover the kinds of topics you're asking about... The answer to your question is a bit long and complicated and involves a number of options as well as explaining how the OEM systems are all wired up and differs whether you are DSP or not etc. etc. Look for Dennis Coopers posts/threads as well as ones I've made... happy to help with thoughts and experience in the proper thread...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Well, tomorrow I will install the Eibach sways and springs, and Koni yellows. I think I will set them at about &0% full firm to start. Maybe 75%. I will update as to how it feels afterwards!
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

My Cars
    97 328is (sold) 02 525iT
    First post for me. New Touring owner 525iT non-sport, non-SLS, 5-speed in Colorado. Love the thread here, plus others - thanks all for the wealth of information.

Kingston - what did you end up doing here and how did it turn out? I've got a leaking front strut and decided to pull the trigger on the same setup as as you're describing. Koni Yellows and the Eibach Pro Kit springs. Wondering how you set the damping and how the work turned out, especially in the rear, where the Konis are harder to adjust once they're on the car. Would love to know your final ride height, as well - I've got a driveway with a stepped-incline that's going to limit how much I can lower the car.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    i read parts of this thread almost yearly and every time i come back and forget everything i read.
    I assume the answer is in here somewhere, but was there ever a consensus on a good combo for a 540i with air suspension for around a grand? was it the ST X kit for air ride?
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    There's no consensus because everybody has different priorities and objectives and budgets, but AFAICT the generally most highly promoted solutions are...

Eibach & Konis
    ST's/KW's
    Ground Controls

The Fortune setup has come and gone basically. Although it seems like it was the great thing to have for a while, frankly a few guys had tricky problems with them too, and its moot point as it's now NLA.

I am very happy w/ the ST's however the corrosion issue now, 3-4 yrs down the road, is coming home to roost. They aren't really that terrible, but don't look great anymore. Been planning on pulling the front struts sooner or later and POR'ing them and maybe swapping springs to some new Swifts or something while I'm at it. But the ST's are indeed more affordable than their KW cousins. When I put them, in I had a winter beater and was trying to keep salty winter use off the 540, so I figured the ST vs KW thing would be fine, but I haven't had a regular beater in a few years now so that's a big contributor. For warm weather guys the ST's are a much better option for sure.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

The Fortune setup has come and gone basically. Although it seems like it was the great thing to have for a while, frankly a few guys had tricky problems with them too, and its moot point as it's now NLA.
    oh yeah i do remember quite the excitement for those, sad to hear they're gone..

Corrosion can be combated with the fluid film stuff I've started to use. it's not perfect but it dramatically reduces corrosion that would otherwise be guaranteed. only problem is it requires re-application every year although that's like an hour and a half under the car with a spray gun and a mask.
    is there a specific model name or source for the exact ST kit you're using? and is it the fixed damping kit or the adjustable kit? I assume you're using this particular kit
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-suspensi...ng/90201~st50/
    in fact there seem to be models 90200 and 90201, with 90201 being specifically for tourings with the stock air suspension and 90200 for those without

edit: ok, seems like bimmerforums doesn't want ECS tuning links because no matter what, it redirects to some viglink garbage
    Last edited by joekitch; 05-22-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah the viglink BS is a browser specific hassle. Happens on the ipad to me sometimes.

I'm using the non-adjustable setup. I don't think ST has an adjsutable - I think KW wants you to buy KW's for adjustability?
    Should be 90201 (not 90210)

Be aware you need an I6 strut mount for these, which isn't clear in the directions. I think its same part as E36 also or something.

ST used to not document this well but I just looked and they have this on the website - way better than what was there before (nothing).
    184: Additional front axle assembly parts for vehicles with EDC and 8 Cyl. are required from the automobile manufacturer. Front: (BMW Part#:dome bearings 31331091709+ washer 31331116983+ collar 31331110196) rear: dome bearings
    Those are just basically strut mounts, so I think this means you could opt for camber plates instead (at of course a higher co$t...)

I have yet to bottom out the E39 I6 vs E36 thing... if there is interchangeability there then its not well documented (REALOEM doesn't list same parts and aftermarket components don't show an interchange aka camber plates don't say "E39 I6 AND E36...") but its what I was told when we originally installed these...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

184: Additional front axle assembly parts for vehicles with EDC and 8 Cyl. are required from the automobile manufacturer. Front: (BMW Part#:dome bearings 31331091709+ washer 31331116983+ collar 31331110196) rear: dome bearings

that is rather strange, maybe to save manufacturing cost so they dont need to make a v8 specific kit?
    anyway, so all i need to 2x of each of those three parts?

wait actually here's the full text from the amazon listing for the 90201's

FL: 1.4"-2.6"; RL: 1.2"-2.4"; 184 - Additional front axle assembly parts for vehicles with EDC are required from the automobile manufacturer. Front: (BMW Part#:dome bearings 31331091709+ washer 31331116983+ collar 31331110196) rear: dome bearings; 185 - For the rear axle sport shock absorbers will be supplied, the factory air spring will maintain. Lowering of the vehicle needs to be done according to the instructions
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compatibility-chart/B007APET0A

it says rear: dome bearings but doesn't list a part number? that's confusing
    Last edited by joekitch; 05-22-2017 at 03:36 PM.

GN92489

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I took the exact same text from the ST website itself. Yeah the other blah blah is there but I figured to only paste the part that was pertinent.

If you go to KW's site, there are 3 numbered 'footnotes', and the pertinent one ("#19") is:

• 19: Additional front axle assembly parts for vehicles with EDC are required from the automobile manufacturer: for the frontBMW part#: dome bearings 31331139452 + washer 31331116983 + collar 31331110196), for the rear: (BMW part#: dome bearing 33521091710 + 33521090282 + washer 33521092986 + dust cover 31331137932 + bump stop 33531091031)
    So there's your parts for the rear. Except. That's stupid because that part maps back to both I6's and V8's. Basically seems to be the generic E39 rear shock mount so it should fit all cars. I think the doc person and tech support helping to sort out the V8 mess probably got confused. We didn't do anything special in the rear whatsoever, no extra parts needed.

Go to page 8 of this: http://www.kwsuspensions.com/extras/...ah68620036.pdf and see the top picture/caption. That did NOT come with my new setup whatsoever and it even took long calls on hold to get somebody at ST to figure it out. I think they've fixed the documentation since then.

Shows exactly what you need and is noted that V8 & EDC (we didn't get EDC of course on E39) require the different front parts.

Then page 9 shows how the links go in. Oddly, because page 9 is strangely out of place with no descriptive text. And doesn't mention at all putting the rear shocks in!

So - conclusion from all the above - basically KW & ST clearly suck at documentation.

And. Yes, I think they basically developed the solution, said "OK our strut shaft fits the I6 car but not the V8 strut mount... so fine screw it we're not making 2 different strut shaft sizes or an adapter... the V8 people can just buy the right BMW mount".
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    540i
    Looking at the longest thread I've ever seen, but still missing something.
    I too own a e39 540 touring with SLS. Unless I add weight to the rear (200 lbs) the wagon rides too hard for me.
    When you guys talk about lowering, or exchanging suspension parts with aftermarket parts, are you leaving the SLS intact, or
    are you fitting the car with the rear axle that comes with a 540 sedan? Can springs and shocks replace the existing air bags?
    Very seldom are there more than two people in the car so I'd like to replace the hard ride the SLS produces with springs

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by suprwag View Post
    I too own a e39 540 touring with SLS. Unless I add weight to the rear (200 lbs) the wagon rides too hard for me.
    When you guys talk about lowering, or exchanging suspension parts with aftermarket parts, are you leaving the SLS intact, or
    are you fitting the car with the rear axle that comes with a 540 sedan? Can springs and shocks replace the existing air bags?
    Very seldom are there more than two people in the car so I'd like to replace the hard ride the SLS produces with springs
    usually when you retain SLS as part of a suspension upgrade, you install adjustable rear endlinks, if you tighten them the rear air springs only partially inflate and your ride height is lowered. if you loosen them the opposite happens.
    i'd imagine springs would make the ride even harder, maybe your shocks are too stiff? In which case replacing the rear shocks on the touring is incredibly easy compared to the sedan

GN92489

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by suprwag View Post
    Yeah that symptom indicates something wrong with the car. Either with the shocks, or, very highly likely, the rear subframe bushings are shot. Its a known failure problem w the wagons that doesn't touch the sedans almost at all.

A proper SLS rear suspension has an extremely smooth and comfortable ride. Ive been in and/or driven probably a dozen? Harsh and hard means something is broken....period.

No the sedan suspension is totally different and doesn't fit - wagon has a bespoke suspension design to allow for flat load floor- , but, yes you can spring convert as the Touring was sold w spring rear too. Getting 540 spec springs can be tricky since all usa V8 wagons came w SLS but it's doable or you can toss I6 springs in and hope for the best or get custom aftermarket springs.

But for most people that's a waste of time, as the SLS airbag is a really smooth quality suspension and can be tailored to whatever ride you want by tweaking the shocks you use with it.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Agree with GG ^^^^ would start with rear sub frame bushing first.

My Cars
    '00 528iT/ '12 Tacoma
    Update from Post number #43... and cross post from Wheels thread.

Just finally put on other wheels after having them sitting around for about 7 months...

Previous Setup *Refer to link below*
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post29210379

*NOTE* Max raised height on previous rear suspension setup on the adjusters...

Then for a while (5-6 months) I put the front wheels on but never did the rears because I had to install the new springs and raise it up until I finally got unlazy and did it *also took about 6 months of waiting and an hour of actual work*

Currently (Just updated last week)
    Rear is lowered on TC Klein Adjusters (From E36/E46)
    700lb 7 inch springs from Eibach with Koni HD Shocks.

19x9.5 +25 w/ 15mm spacer adaptor 235/40/19
    19x11 +25 w/ 12mm spacer adaptor 265/35/19

My Cars
    A few
    Hey all. Just got my first touring. Been all over pre-2004 bmw scene.

Touring I just got came with ST springs on stock dampers (non SLS) and is complete garbage.

Question is: what is the best damper to couple with this spring? I believe it is the 40mm/30mm drop kit.

Thanks. Some great looking rides in here. Looking forward to picking up more info.

My Cars
    '00 528iT/ '12 Tacoma
    Not sure if people were aware but last time I checked Fortune was the only company making a complete coilover kit for the E39 Touring... Apparently BC has one now too? I guess I have been living under a rock for the past year or more...

https://store.bcracing-na.com/br-ser...004-p3841.aspx

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Baoser View Post
    Not sure if people were aware but last time I checked Fortune was the only company making a complete coilover kit for the E39 Touring... Apparently BC has one now too? I guess I have been living under a rock for the past year or more...

https://store.bcracing-na.com/br-ser...004-p3841.aspx

Kinda close, Fortune Auto used to make coilovers for the E39 but no longer do I believe.
    ST Suspension and BC have made them for quite a few years. I have Fortune Auto but had to go through the parts dept. to get them.
    A handful of people had them.

My Cars
    '00 528iT/ '12 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Kinda close, Fortune Auto used to make coilovers for the E39 but no longer do I believe.
    ST Suspension and BC have made them for quite a few years. I have Fortune Auto but had to go through the parts dept. to get them.
    A handful of people had them.
    I know Fortune Auto has discontinued ones. I wasn't aware BC had a complete kit available...

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    Went with these and they work great!
    http://loweringlinks.net

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Are those bags? Or coilover springs?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess for $65, just springs? How's the ride, and what shocks did you go with?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Are those bags? Or coilover springs?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess for $65, just springs? How's the ride, and what shocks did you go with?
    It's $65. for just the links, kinda pricey I thought. I made my on with stainless steel fittings for a little over $20.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast