Thread: Check Rear Lights warning message

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport

Check Rear Lights warning message

After experiencing battery loss/drain problems I took out my battery to charge it and haven't had any problems since. However, when I re-installed the battery I get a Check Rear Light message on my dash and the lights seem to be working fine. What could this be from?

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    I'm sure you did, but......
    Did you check the 3rd brakelight mounted above the trunk?
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    ...I get a Check Rear Light message on my dash and the lights seem to be working fine. What could this be from?
    Does the highlighted statement in the quote above include physically undoing the bulb holder to visually inspect the bulbs...or are you just standing behind the car looking at the rear tail lights?

I ask this due to the LCM III being able to reduce output and use other bulbs as "replacements"...you may have a burnt out filament in one of the dual filament bulbs and the LCM is doing its job and is using the other filament.

Physically/visually check each rear bulb to see if there's a burnt out filament (especially in the dual filament bulbs).
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)