Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Thread: Korman 535i Turbo 2.0

My Cars
    Nothing interesting

Build Thread: Korman 535i Turbo 2.0

NOTE: THE TITLE MEANS "VERSION 2.0," NOT 2.0 LITER! You may otherwise read this and end up confused.

For my own edification and notekeeping. Feel free to contribute as desired. I created a build thread for my turbocharged Datsun 280z project last year and found it very useful. More of the same here, only a German platform this time...

Car basics:
    1990 BMW 535i, Schwarz on natur tan.
    Purchased October 2011 from bfc.com member "9mil"
    Currently equipped with Korman Autoworks turbo setup: Garrett T25-size journal turbo, Mosselman log manifold, top-mount intercooler, stock AFM & ECU. Boosts to 4.5psi. Stock 4-speed auto tranny, pretty much everything else stock. Upgraded HID headlights. Also has Korman's Clubsport E34 Bilstein suspension setup. Very flat & level in the corners. Hardly notice until my loose change starts flying around.

EDIT: Here's the P.O.'s for-sale thread, which is where I found the car: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1639520

Work done by P.O. in early 2011:
    Timing chain cover gasket, valve cover gasket, head gasket, new cap & rotor.

Recent work done by me:
    Compression test (175psi across all six)
    Vacuum test (18in. Hg at warm idle)
    ICV clean
    Valve adjustment

Maintenance to-do:
    New fuel filter & spark plugs
    Replace faulty in-dash OBC
    Reset SRS light

Planned near-term performance upgrades:
    1. Install Aeromotive FPR (13109) (purchased, waiting to install)
    2. Have Mosselman exhaust manifold ceramic coated. Just so I know it's there.
    3. Purchase Bosch 42lb injectors
    4. Purchase Innovate LC-1 wideband O2 sensor
    4. Purchase Megasquirt Plug & Play (whodwho or DIYAutotune)
    5. Install MS w/42lb Bosch injectors + LC-1, then tune & dyno
    6. Upsize turbo (Precision 6262 or Holset HX40) & retune
    7. Install ported head w/ turbo cam & retune

Planned midterm upgrades:
    1. Refinish/recover seats & door panels in two-tone brown/charcoal leather
    2. Refinish Style 82 wheels
    3. Convert to 5-speed manual w/single mass flywheel (already got the parts)

Feel free to question or comment, as long as it's productive. And preferably profanity-free. And non-troll-y.
    Last edited by E34DIYer; 10-19-2013 at 09:49 PM.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Awesome! Will be following with interest.

Any engine bay pics? Always love to see E34s with turbos.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    I have a couple of sketchy cellphone pics, which I will post shortly. Thanks for interest!

EDIT: Here ya go... Here's a pic of the Mosselman manifold with the intake plumbing and intercooler removed. Note the ugly flex-ducting used for the turbo inlet. This will definitely be replaced with aluminum pipe when I go to the big turbo:

Here it is with everything in place. More ugly flex ducting and plain black aluminum piping. Note: black flex tube coming to intercooler is not compressor outlet piping, but a secondary inlet that can be used to blow additional cold air across the intercooler. Want all intake piping be polished aluminum when I upgrade. Also AFM will be GONE:
    Last edited by E34DIYer; 11-28-2012 at 08:38 PM.

My Cars
    1989 535i/5
    Subscribed!

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
    Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread here
    Follow my R75/6 build here. Youtube - Dispatch Moto

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    Watch for dyno numbers as I move forward. Should be fun to see how each part changes the performance.

My Cars
    E34sx5
    Subscribed.
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    Researching cam profiles now. I happen to have a good friend who's a race engine builder,and he'll be cleaning/porting my M30 cylinder head. I'm thinking about upgrading the cam and valvetrain IF someone can convince me that it's worth the money. Found this cam profile listed for M30 turbo application:
    Duration (intake/exhaust): 276/268
    Duration @0.050" lift (intake/exhaust): 238/229
    Duration @0.200" lift (intake/exhaust): 169/161
    Total lift in inches (intake/exhaust): 0.450"/0.430"

As I recall, the stock late M30 head has dual valve springs already. Do I really need upgraded race springs and retainers for my application? I'm not exactly going wild with the cam...
    Last edited by E34DIYer; 11-29-2012 at 09:02 PM.

My Cars
    328ic, CLK55 AMG, Disco
    Quote Originally Posted by E34DIYer View Post
    Researching cam profiles now. I happen to have a good friend who's a race engine builder,and he'll be cleaning/porting my M30 cylinder head. I'm thinking about upgrading the cam and valvetrain IF someone can convince me that it's worth the money. Found this cam profile listed for M30 turbo application:
    Duration (intake/exhaust): 276/268
    Duration @0.050" lift (intake/exhaust): 238/229
    Duration @0.200" lift (intake/exhaust): 169/161
    Total lift in inches (intake/exhaust): 0.450"/0.430"

As I recall, the stock late M30 head has dual valve springs already. Do I really need upgraded race springs and retainers for my application? I'm not exactly going wild with the cam...
    It might help to find out what the specs are on the 745i (E23 I think) cam. My friend Doug installed my Stage 2 Korman M30B32 head with a Korman K300 cam, on a 3.5 block, and at 8psi it was eeeevil. But, the K300 was designed for a naturally aspirated 3.2L engine making 10.5:1, the duration was the problem, not the lift. That head had bigger valves, titanium retainers, double springs, a huge port/polish and chamber match, upgraded rockers and a modified sprayer bar. The turbo spooled quickly, but it was "peaky". The boost came on quick, but just kind of fell off over 4000rpms.

The upgraded springs, and retainers are mainly to keep the valves from floating in the higher rev ranges, or if you money shift and peg the tach. As long as you can avoid redline, and aren't looking to routinely bounce off the rev limiter, the stock springs and retainers are "okay". But honestly while you have it apart, I would consider guides, seals, springs and retainers. If you drop in some beefy springs, the stock rockers are going to become a weak point, so might as well. Oh, and while you're at it, go ahead and pick up an ARP head bolt/stud kit if you don't already have them.

Oh, and before you start turbo shopping, check to see how much room you have with that bottom mount manifold. The T04 on mine is within 3/4" of front steering components, but my M50 is bigger, placing the turbo lower in the car. With the M30 you might have lots of room, but it might be a good idea to "test fit" a turbo before you dump the dollars on something that won't fit on your manifold.

Korman installed the turbo kit on my 525i M50, which has 300K miles on it now. They do good work.
    Last edited by SinisterMoose; 11-29-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    2001 CLK55 AMG - 223K Miles : 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II - 259K miles - 4th engine : 1996 328i Convertible 89K Miles (The wife's) : 2005 Outback Wagon 203K Miles (also The wife's)

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    I am considering everything and anything that's financially wise for my particular build. I'm on the fence with the springs and all that... I don't intend on racing the engine, nor bouncing it off rev limiters. So I'm trying to keep the money in the smart places. Trying to avoid "While-You're-In-There-Itis" for parts that don't need replacing/upgrading. I probably won't even install the new head until I blow the gasket (or shred the auto tranny) on the current setup. After I upsize the turbo. And the injectors. And the Megasquirt. $$$ !

I was pondering the ARP head studs but read there are clearance issues with the stock valve cover? http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1879051
    Last edited by E34DIYer; 11-29-2012 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    328ic, CLK55 AMG, Disco
    I am considering everything and anything that's financially wise for my particular build. I'm on the fence with the springs and all that... I don't intend on racing the engine, nor bouncing it off rev limiters. So I'm trying to keep the money in the smart places. Trying to avoid "While-You're-In-There-Itis" for parts that don't need replacing/upgrading.

I was pondering the ARP head studs but read there are clearance issues with the stock valve cover? http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1879051
    I understand. It is easy enough to cure the clearance issue. Just make sure that if you reuse the stock head bolts, that they are not the type that have to be retorqued. Some of the M30s had "stretchy" head bolts, that were a two stage torque ordeal. Yours may not be, but I would rather drill a clearance area on the valve cover than have to worry about retightening the head bolts.

Granted, OEM might be okay, depending on the boost you're planning to run, but boost is addictive.
    2001 CLK55 AMG - 223K Miles : 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II - 259K miles - 4th engine : 1996 328i Convertible 89K Miles (The wife's) : 2005 Outback Wagon 203K Miles (also The wife's)

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    I'll probably go with a new set of stock head bolts. Although I would love one of those fancy Turbocharging Dynamics valve covers! I think I'm comfortable with stock springs and retainers for now. Just need to make a decision on the cam itself...

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    Update - decided to go with Aeromotive 13129 fuel pressure regulator and Innovate MTX-L wideband O2 sensor.

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    You selling the FPR or wideband O2??

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    For my own edification and notekeeping. Feel free to contribute as desired. I created a build thread for my turbocharged Datsun 280z project last year and found it very useful. More of the same here, only a German platform this time...

Car basics:
    1990 BMW 535i, Schwarz on natur tan.
    Purchased October 2011 from bfc.com member "9mil"
    Currently equipped with Korman Autoworks turbo setup: Garrett T25-size journal turbo, Mosselman log manifold, top-mount intercooler, stock AFM & ECU. Boosts to 4.5psi. Stock 4-speed auto tranny, pretty much everything else stock. Upgraded HID headlights. Also has Korman's Clubsport E34 Bilstein suspension setup. Very flat & level in the corners. Hardly notice until my loose change starts flying around.

EDIT: Here's the P.O.'s for-sale thread, which is where I found the car: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1639520

Work done by P.O. in early 2011:
    Timing chain cover gasket, valve cover gasket, head gasket, new cap & rotor.

Recent work done by me:
    Compression test (175psi across all six)
    Vacuum test (18in. Hg at warm idle)
    ICV clean
    Valve adjustment

Maintenance to-do:
    New fuel filter & spark plugs
    Replace faulty in-dash OBC
    Reset SRS light

Planned near-term performance upgrades:
    1. Install Aeromotive FPR (13129)
    1.1. Have Mosselman exhaust manifold ceramic coated. Just so I know it's there.
    2. Convert to Megasquirt MSPNP (including Innovate MTX-L wideband O2) w/full dyno tune
    3. Upsize injectors (55lb Deka) & retune
    4. Upsize turbo (Precision 6262 or Garrett GT35R, whichever I can find cheaper) & retune
    5. Install ported head w/ turbo cam & retune

Planned midterm upgrades:
    1. Refinish/recover seats & door panels in two-tone brown/charcoal leather
    2. Refinish Style 82 wheels
    3. Convert to 5-speed manual w/single mass flywheel (already got the parts)

Feel free to question or comment, as long as it's productive. And preferably profanity-free. And non-troll-y.
    subscribed
    Looks stellar ..... I would like to see it one day...when I drive through Buford on the Job..
    Last edited by e34biturbo; 12-22-2012 at 02:46 PM.

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    My 87 535 with 745 turbo system (highly modified) 9psi is pretty swift with 3.73 lsd..

Looks cool. Intresting extra coolign piece.
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    I like the top mount intercooler, although the included ducting looks like it's for a tumble dryer. Looking forward to replacing with polished aluminum. Current system only pushing 4.5psi and positive that even now there are unutilized ponies wandering aimlessly in the prairie of my engine, waiting to be harnessed.

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    Update... I'm starting to think about emissions issues, as I live in a county in Georgia that requires annual emissions testing. I'm not worried about hydrocarbons or actual emissions gases, but I am a little concerned about the Check Engine Light. I think the W.A.R. chip retains emisisons functions while Megasquirt obviously doesnt, so I may end up going with the W.A.R. chip instead. The local guys can definitely tune the W.A.R. chip, so not much would change in my build plans except the computer hardware.

My Cars
    540i/6, 740i, m3, alfas
    The war chip throws random check engine light errors. These don't save relevant codes with the stomp test.

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    So it may be a bust either way... If that's true then I prefer Megasquirt, as I get a lot more datalogging and sensor readouts. And flexibility.

Update: Purchased Aeromotive 13109 regulator. Now I need to figure out where to mount and how to adapt to stock hardlines.
    Last edited by E34DIYer; 12-27-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    Fundraising ongoing, hope to have Megasquirt (with a bluetooth adapter) and the wideband on the car by the end of the month. Already decided that I am going to eventually re-engineer the center dash and console so there's room for a display with Shadow Dash running: http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/shadowdashmsmenu. For those who don't know, Shadow Dash is an Android-compatible app that displays and logs Megasquirt data.
    Last edited by E34DIYer; 01-14-2013 at 12:05 PM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Nice man just don't expect good response from the BT. I've used some OBD2 to BT adapters and they work just not very real-time. I had glassed a 7" touchscreen into my dash I can try and find pics. I ran a full PC in the car at one point.

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    Have you tried the adapter that EFI Analytics recommends? I don't mind wiring a serial cable if I absolutely have to, but it sure would be nice to go wireless. And yes, I'd like to see where you put the screen in the dash!

EDIT: Jon, I totally forgot about your UrineMachine days... Googled some of your old posts but the image links don't seem to be working for me. You've already done exactly what I was thinking of doing - rigging up a computer/tablet in-car for display and Megasquirt tweaking.
    Last edited by E34DIYer; 01-14-2013 at 02:28 PM.

My Cars
    '90 535a,'87 535is(RIP)
    I have rear seats in natur beige.Just letting you know.

My Cars
    Nothing interesting
    With headrests?

My Cars
    328ic, CLK55 AMG, Disco
    So it may be a bust either way... If that's true then I prefer Megasquirt, as I get a lot more datalogging and sensor readouts. And flexibility.

Update: Purchased Aeromotive 13109 regulator. Now I need to figure out where to mount and how to adapt to stock hardlines.
    One advantage of megasquirt vs miller war chip, is the ability to convert to a MAP sensor, instead of having a MAF or AFM. Much less clutter in the intake plumbing and some say more accurate. I like the simplicity of a MAP sensor and if I'm not mistaken you can even buy a Megasquirt system with a built in MAP.

Since our cars (E34 in general) are OBDI, the simple solution is to pull the CEL bulb once you've converted to Megasquirt. The newest E34 is still 18 years old, and most places with emission testing are pretty forgiving of a 20 year old car. Of course there always the potential that your testing authority are complete jerks.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast