Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what's the consensus on the new Bilstein's?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    Okay, so I have just finished replacing the OE struts and shocks with the new Bilstein struts and shocks. Took it for a spin and I would have to say that the ride is more controlled then the OE suspension, keeping in mind that my OE suspension had 97K miles. I like the feel that I get from the road now with the new Bilsteins so I would have to say it was worth my wait. But then I do not know how the Konis would ride with the OE springs.

JayM3A, the ride height dropped just under a 1/4" in the front and the rear went up 1/4".

Alignment appointment setup for this afternoon.

My Cars
    No car at the moment
    i have my new bilsteins sitting in my trunk right now .. ill post impressions this week

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Anno_M3
    JayM3A, the ride height dropped just under a 1/4" in the front and the rear went up 1/4".
    Is that right?? The back was actually raised? Interesting. I wonder why that is.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    Note that I was using the same OE springs. Possibly the Bilsteins with their newer gas charge pushed the rear end up a bit.

My Cars
    99' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernman
    Can you point me to where you have seen that the old version has been "recalled"? I have seen that the front is redesigned. Information is appreciated

Bernman
    I second this motion for more information. I've had my Bilstein's for little over a year now and I like the ride but it can be a bit stiff on these shitty Texas roads--I didn't have much problem at all when I lived in Bama. I'm not sure I would go through the trouble of replacing them if there was a "recall" but I would definitely like to hear more about this.

Jeromy

My Cars
    Lots
    There was no official "recall." Bilstein supposedly only took back new stock from dealers. They did not recall shocks from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by jds7717
    I second this motion for more information. I've had my Bilstein's for little over a year now and I like the ride but it can be a bit stiff on these shitty Texas roads--I didn't have much problem at all when I lived in Bama. I'm not sure I would go through the trouble of replacing them if there was a "recall" but I would definitely like to hear more about this.

Jeromy

My Cars
    Lots
    Interesting. Normally, Bilsteins will raise both ends due to the gas charge. I wonder if Bilstein lowered the spring perch in order to lower the front end. Lots of people complained that the front looked too high after they lowered the cars. If they did in fact do this, that would be a cool new feature!

Evo, could you check the Bilstein spring perch location versus the factory one? TIA.

Okay, so I have just finished replacing the OE struts and shocks with the new Bilstein struts and shocks. Took it for a spin and I would have to say that the ride is more controlled then the OE suspension, keeping in mind that my OE suspension had 97K miles. I like the feel that I get from the road now with the new Bilsteins so I would have to say it was worth my wait. But then I do not know how the Konis would ride with the OE springs.

My Cars
    Lots
    I don't think I ever mentioned that the shocks were recalled, only redesigned. You can find out information from Turner, Zygmunt, or call Bilstein direct. This doesn't apply to non-M3 E36 models, by the way.

Can you point me to where you have seen that the old version has been "recalled"? I have seen that the front is redesigned. Information is appreciated

Bernman

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    I may have misinterpreted your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by JayM3A
    Old versions were recalled last year and the new versions have recently come out (see Turner and bimmerparts websites)
    I do have the aformentioned M3 Bilsteins. They are quite firmly valved. I would not expect Bilstein to freely change out my old fronts for the new design, but it would be nice

I plan to call them next week to see what, if anything, they can do.

My Cars
    2014 328xdT, 2016 X3 28d
    I do have the aformentioned M3 Bilsteins. They are quite firmly valved. I would not expect Bilstein to freely change out my old fronts for the new design, but it would be nice

I plan to call them next week to see what, if anything, they can do.
    I was going to call them this week too. What I'm hoping they'll do is to bring my current fronts up to the new specs, as far as bump stop dimensions and valving goes. Please let us know what you find out, and if it helps you to mention that there is an Internet community waiting to hear the answer, it may help your case.

- Chris
    F31 2014 328xd wagon, F25 2016 X3 28d

My Cars
    '97 M3/328i-'74/'76 02s
    I believe "recalled" meant that any new struts that were unsold at a particular date were to be returned to the factory. There is no official recall that I've heard of. I know a few vendors sold off remaining stock at discounted prices, or I seem to remember that one vendor tried convince others that the struts were no longer being made (perhaps they were fed incorrect information).....

Anyway, if you match up the old Bilsteins with the H&R OEs (taller ones), the ride is ok, though I am told the GC/Koni is still a bit better. I'll find out this week, as a friend of mine made the switch from the Bilstein setup to the GC setup.

I personally have never had issues with my fronts, though my bumpstops were cut when I bought them. I have had issues with the rear.

Anyway, I am curious to find someone who had the old Bilsteins, and is now trying the new ones.

-Justin
    --
    '74 tii
    '76 02
    '97 328i
    '97 m3
    http://www.bmw2002.net

My Cars
    Lots
    Anno, any updates after riding with the shocks for about a week?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    Jay, I am personally quite happy with the ride since the suspension. I like the fact that I get more road feel with the new setup versus just bone jarring when I hit bumps with the old OE struts and shocks. I also changed the steering wheel out from the stock 4 spoke airbagger to a Momo which makes the whole package more enjoyable. As for how it reacts to spirited driving through the corners, it feels to handle better but I don't really like to push hard on the street...too many consequences. I will be heading down to Thunderhill and Infineon on the 21st and 23rd of May and that will give me a better feel for how the car reacts to the high speed cornering environment which I enjoy the most.

BTW, I was looking at trading in the M3 to get something else prior to the this work have made it more enjoyable for me in keeping the M3. Still want more power though.

My Cars
    No Car
    I had bilstein sports with H&R sports, yes they were harsh but i got used to it. however you make a compromise. My car handled like it was on RAILS. with bilstein and H&R sports and X-brace, I pulled 0.99G on skidpad (AP-22 G-force meter). with swaybars on full stiff i was approaching 1.07G. so that gives you an idea. car handles like a dream, but yes its harsh.

My Cars
    08 E92 M3
    Danm Omey you make me want these bilsein's so bad. I am really leaning towards the bilsteins because they bolt right on and do not require any cutting. Are the new bilsteins less harsh at all? Does anyone really know what they changed and what the difference in ride is? Also are they still as stiff as the old ones or what? Right now I have H&R sport on stock shocks will my ride be affected in comfort or will it be close to as harsh as it is now? One last question I have heard the old bilsteins raise you 1/4 all around is this true or similar for the new ones?
    Last edited by Pchap5; 04-14-2004 at 11:17 PM.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaBimma
    I had bilstein sports with H&R sports, yes they were harsh but i got used to it. however you make a compromise. My car handled like it was on RAILS. with bilstein and H&R sports and X-brace, I pulled 0.99G on skidpad (AP-22 G-force meter). with swaybars on full stiff i was approaching 1.07G. so that gives you an idea. car handles like a dream, but yes its harsh.
    150' or 300' skidpad?

....and what brand/model/size ribber?
    I'm interested to know how you pulled off those freakish numbers.

-Ron

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    is this update on the bilsteins applicable on other 3 series? or is it just for the M3? thanks.

My Cars
    98M3 4d
    The ride of BL/HR sport is much smoother and more comfy now after i put 10mm spring pads in the rear. If you want to smoother your BL/HR sports, i dont see the reason for getting the new designed shocks.....i dont know :

My Cars
    No Car
    Quote Originally Posted by themadhatter
    150' or 300' skidpad?

....and what brand/model/size ribber?
    I'm interested to know how you pulled off those freakish numbers.

-Ron

it was acheived on a race track, it was a long 180degree curve. my G-force meter has g-force smoother on it so sharp jerks won't count, its very accurate. I only had 235/40/18 kuhmos. but i forgot to mention i had crazy camber at the time (i think it was almost 5 degrees up front, 3 in rear). I also had Kmac camber plates and AA adjustable rear camber arms. Thats probably what gave the freakish numbers. but without camber you can still run close to 1G. 1G is the limit without crazy camber on kuhmos before they slip alot. i wish i had legitimate tires i could have pushed it even more with alot of camber.

My Cars
    M3,civic SI, MGBGT
    Hmm, I am looking to upgrade my suspension also. But, I also have a civic SI that I put coilovers on but kept the stock struts. The ride is very harsh which I actually have grown to like. This makes me wonder though, everyone is blaming the harshness on the struts. Where in the case of my civic the springs were the only thing I changed and it went from a medium ride to rock hard on the stock struts.

So, I am going to make a post asking if anyone has H&R's on stock struts.

00 SC'd CivicSI 12.5@110
    98 M3 14.1@97
    71 MGB GT slow(For Sale)
    94 RX7 10.6@140 on street tires

My Cars
    99 M3
    Are the bilstein's compatible with both the GC rsm and E46 RSM+Z3 plates? I would like to get the bilsteins sport shocks but I'm not sure which rsm to get. BTW I don't track my car so this mod is purely a preventive maintainence.

My Cars
    '96 M3; '12 Mercedes GL
    I don't have experience with Bilsteins, but I do with the Koni adjustables. In my '95 318is I had Eibach Pro Springs with the Koni's and I have to say the ride was awesome! It was noticeably tighter than stock, but I wouldn't characterize it as unpleasant. In fact, and I'm sure I'll be flogged for this, the ride on my '95 318is is BETTER than my stock M3.

I'm also dissapointed I have to "rig" the strut in order for the Koni's to fit the M3. I was considering the Bilsteins until I read the feedback here. I think I'm going to stick with what I know and opt for the Konis.

My Cars
    Lots
    You can use the Bilsteins with OE RSM's or any aftermarket RSM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmw4life13
    Are the bilstein's compatible with both the GC rsm and E46 RSM+Z3 plates? I would like to get the bilsteins sport shocks but I'm not sure which rsm to get. BTW I don't track my car so this mod is purely a preventive maintainence.

My Cars
    96 m3 cp

when does it become harsh?

What is harsh? is it always harsh? I have Eibach's Pro street coil overs with about 1,000 miles on them. They are firm at slow speeds (up to 50ish) then they feel great.
    The highways around here suck big time. The left lane is always much smoother ride. There is also no noticeable pitch or roll in the car now. The faster you go the better it feels even over some ruff stuff at speed.
    Plan on auto-x and track days this summer if time permits(it always does)
    It is a new product that not many have tried so I thought I would throw this out there. I have never ridden in another M3, so nothing to compare with except stock. They are definately firmer. the new found control at 130 is well worth the trade off of ride quality at slow speeds.
    Install was super easy. ride height is adjustable something like 3 inches up or down. I paid 1000. for a like new never installed set on ebay.
    Last edited by mfree; 05-21-2004 at 08:56 PM. Reason: $

My Cars
    08 E92 M3
    How long have these new bilstiens been out for? Im looknig to buy a used pair from 6 months ago and just wondering if these would be the latest ones?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast