Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Seized

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    With temps like you're in, I'd agree with the CCV. When mine went out it blew the head gasket and I had oil in 3 of the combustion chambers.
    Get an insulated kit when you replace it all.

My Cars
    2002 325CI
    Yeah over thinking it sorry I came from a dodge before the BMW and that right there would just be a horror story, I'll let the professionals take it from here

My Cars
    04 330 zsp
    Thanks everyone.
    What's the best place to buy a ccv valve and a insulation kit?

Thanks everyone.
    What's the best place to buy a ccv valve and a insulation kit?
    Last edited by jack0289; 12-19-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Make sure its a BMW part. Aftermarket is junk and you don't want to do this twice.
    http://www.ecstuning.com/
    Local dealer.
    I would do the dipstick tube too. Especially where you live.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528I
    Hopefully this will fix your situation, bmwbob89. If the repair kit doesn't fix the issue, you may need to go one step further. BMW manufactures a heated intake manifold for troublesome cars that have continual problems with CCV failures. There is a kit that you install so you can have a factory harness to power the heater up. With you living in Alaska, that could be a necessity; but don't jump to conclusions as this new CCV kit will probably fix your car...

I'm sorry, I meant jack0289...
    Last edited by BMWtech6367; 12-19-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    The heated kit is for the V-8's not the 6 cylinders. I've never seen one for a 6.

My Cars
    04 330 zsp
    I've been looking at ecstuning, ddmtuning, and different website. I can't seem to find a ccv kit which comes with the ccv valve and all the hoses, is there such a kit?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    I thought there were "cold climate" ccv kits, ya know, for cars in colder climates... or am I going insane?

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    There are cold climate ones I just have not seen heated ones. The cold climate ones have a little foam jacket on the valve and pipes.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I've gotta speculate that the insulation can't make much of a difference. If it's sitting out overnight, by morning the whole engine bay is going to be equalized with ambient temperature, insulation or no.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by jack0289 View Post
    Okay I am back home working on the car. So far I've pulled the spark plugs and tried turning the crankshaft with a wrench. I was able to make full turn (oil spit out during the process).
    What should I do next? Should I put the spark plugs back in and try starting it?
    It's definitely from a failed CCV setup.

Well, the good thing is you may be fine since you've got the motor to turn. I'd definitely replace the entire CCV system with the cold weather package.

It's going to smoke real bad once it starts, but it will eventually burn away. I bet your fine as long as the motor didn't bend a rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Khef 01 E46 View Post
    With temps like you're in, I'd agree with the CCV. When mine went out it blew the head gasket and I had oil in 3 of the combustion chambers.
    Get an insulated kit when you replace it all.
    The headgasket? Really? I definitely thought that it would blow the valve cover gasket from excess pressure needing to exit somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using BF.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    The heated kit is for the V-8's not the 6 cylinders. I've never seen one for a 6.
    Me either!

They do make a cylinder block heater. But, I remember someone who tried to order one on the USA. As far as I understand, it is not possible.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using BF.com
    Last edited by BadBoostedBmwM3; 12-20-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3

The headgasket? Really? I definitely thought that it would blow the valve cover gasket from excess pressure needing to exit somewhere.
    Well it was head and vcg. Part of it was just worn seals. Very brittle when taken out. But the CCV going out didn't help.

@OP is most of your driving short trips? Or do you have a decent drive (20 minutes or more) on a fairly regular basis?

My Cars
    04 330 zsp
    Quote Originally Posted by Khef 01 E46 View Post
    Well it was head and vcg. Part of it was just worn seals. Very brittle when taken out. But the CCV going out didn't help.

@OP is most of your driving short trips? Or do you have a decent drive (20 minutes or more) on a fairly regular basis?
    Yeap during the winter most of my driving is short trips.

The ccv kit that's in my car right now is insulated with foam jacket.
    Last edited by jack0289; 12-21-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528I
    To bmwbob89, I have personally installed a few of the 6 cylinder heated intake manifolds. You need to order them special after proving that the cold climate kit has failed also...

My Cars
    2002 325i
    German Auto Solutions is working on an improved CCV setup. Should be interesting to see what they come up with, whenever they come up with it.

My Cars
    2002 330xi & 2005 M3
    Sorry out of touch for a while. See the simplist answer is usually the first place to look. Glad to here it wasnt as bad as you thought and fairly cheap to fix. Plan on spending a few days if your a novice at changing the intake manifold out. Took me 4.5 hours to get it out on my 330xi and 10 hours to get it all back in place

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    You don't need to remove the intake for this. Pull the alt and you have plenty of room. If you have not done the oil filter housing gasket do it and then you even have more room to work.

My Cars
    04 330 zsp
    Okay, I replaced the ccv valve following these videos
    http://blog.bavauto.com/8003/diy-vid...lation-system/
    I tried removing as much oil as possible from the spark plug wells. After everything was installed, the car started!
    Thanks everyone

There's a small problem though, when revving the engine at low rpms there's a whistling noise coming from the engine, seems like there's an air leak. The ccv kit that I bought came with a vacuum hose (part number 11 72 7 545 323), I don't know where it goes.

Also I didn't replace the oil dip stick o-ring (part number 11 43 1 740 045) and the throttle body gasket (part number 13 54 7 504 729).

Beside the whistling noise the car runs great

Update 2013 01 03:
    After some research I found out that the vacuum hose that is include in the CCV kit is for M52TU engines

323i/ci/conv./wagon, 328i/ci 99-00
    528i/wagon 99-00
    Z3 2.5/2.8 99-on
    Last edited by jack0289; 01-03-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 bmw 328i sport
    Don't mean to hijack but I don't think this is worth my own thread. Will a frozen ccv defrost? I hydrolocked my 328i. My Indy told me to do exactly what you guys are saying before bringing it in. If I purge oil from cyclinders and the.car turns over can.I drive 2 miles on the same ccv?. I just wnt out of this car. I need a newer commuter and was looking last week before the break down . If is a head gasket I don't want to spend money a lot of money on it.

My Cars
    2000CS, 330iC, Mcoupe
    BMWbob beat me to it. Sure sounds like classic CCV failure. Cold weather, missing oil, hydro-lock. I wouldn't try to start it myself. I'm not sure how you get the oil out of the cylinders.

My Cars
    04 330 zsp
    Quote Originally Posted by nebimmer View Post
    Don't mean to hijack but I don't think this is worth my own thread. Will a frozen ccv defrost? I hydrolocked my 328i. My Indy told me to do exactly what you guys are saying before bringing it in. If I purge oil from cyclinders and the.car turns over can.I drive 2 miles on the same ccv?. I just wnt out of this car. I need a newer commuter and was looking last week before the break down . If is a head gasket I don't want to spend money a lot of money on it.
    It might, I thought mine was frozen too but that wasn't the case, the valve was completely clogged even after it defrosted. If I were you I wouldn't risk driving on the old ccv.
    Last edited by jack0289; 01-31-2013 at 01:17 PM.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 328i sport
    Thanks jack. I hate to sink the time and money into my car not knowing if its a headgasket. Good news is I purged the cylinders of oil. Purged it about 30 feet in the air! Started and idled fine. Now I need to see if the white smoke will stop but I need to burn the oil out of the exhaust. I hate to risk driving it for a while to end up locking the engine up again. I'm stuck. Anyone want to buy a 328i for a good price!?

My Cars
    2006 750li, 2009 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    The CCV or hoses had crud in them and froze. Then the engine can't breath and sucks all of the oil out of the block and into the intake.
    Wait, I don't get it. If the CCV or hoses is blocked, can't the engine still breath through the air intake? Do you mean the crank case can't be evacuated? I don't understand how pressure builds up in the head just because the CCV is blocked. Can't it vent through the vent valve on the head?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    The issue here is a neglected CCV system that caused the engine to seize up. 3 quarts in the crankcase is extremely low.
    Have you had any drivability issues before this? Check engine light maybe?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12