My Cars
    '02 540i6

'08 X5 4.8 Oil Pressure Sensor

My dad recently purchased an 08 X5 4.8i and has started getting a warning about oil pressure while driving. Last week he took it to an independent shop and they basically said that there was a service bulletin for false oil level check control errors and that a DME software upgrade would fix the issue. Despite his request for the oil pressure sensor to be replaced the shop insisted that the software upgrade would take care of the issue and a new sensor was unnecessary.

After getting the car back the problem seemed to be resolved until today when it reappeared. Rather than take the car back to the shop we got a new sensor to install. The problem I am running across is that I cannot find the location of this sensor. Does anyone know where part # 13 in the diagram is physically located? I can't find any threads where others have replaced the sensor. Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    '02 540i6
    Went ahead and did some detective work and got it all figured out. The sensor is located on the front of the cylinder head for cylinders 1-4 right below the vacuum pump. You will need a 15/16" or equivalent metric deep socket to replace the sensor. The sensor wire has a metal spring clip that you push in to remove.

TIS reference for the N62/TU: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/45/86

Pictures attached for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    so was the DME software updated? if not the sensor will not fix the issue long term.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    '02 540i6
    The DME software was updated. Do you happen to know what the software changes to solve the issue? Seems like the only thing they could do is alter the tolerance on the oil pressure reading to keep the error from arising.

My Cars
    bmw x5
    hi mate did u fix the problem couse my x5 is doing the same thing

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    The update is for oil level not oil pressure. When replacing pressure sensor, while it's out take a oil pressure test, should be at least 10 lbs at idle and go up to at least 35+ at 1500 rpm.

My Cars
    '02 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeast2c View Post
    hi mate did u fix the problem couse my x5 is doing the same thing
    Yes, the problem was resolved by replacing the sensor.

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff View Post
    Yes, the problem was resolved by replacing the sensor.
    I just wanted to thank you for posting those pictures. I just changed my sensor and was lost by looking at the diagrams showing the sensor a quarter of the way back on the side. It is on the front under the vacuum pump as you described. Not too bad to change it once you find the darn thing.

My low pressure warning was coming on as well, and apparently it was just the sensor thank God...

My Cars
    X5, 528i

Eureka

Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff View Post
    Went ahead and did some detective work and got it all figured out. The sensor is located on the front of the cylinder head for cylinders 1-4 right below the vacuum pump. You will need a 15/16" or equivalent metric deep socket to replace the sensor. The sensor wire has a metal spring clip that you push in to remove.

TIS reference for the N62/TU: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/45/86

Pictures attached for reference
    I spent hours looking for the part on the X5. Thank you for the pictures. They help a ton! Problem solved for $11

My Cars
    2000 BMW E39 M5
    Does the sensor read oil level and oil pressure? I have the same problem

My Cars
    E70 X5 48i & E90 330i
    Sorry to bump this thread up, but did you have to remove the vacuum pump to get the sensor out?