Thread: 2008 Bmw 550i Key fob battery replacement

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 750il

2008 Bmw 550i Key fob battery replacement

My dad's key fob battery is down for his 08 550i. I have Googled and watched videos on Youtube but neither of his keys have a battery door. Are they rechargeable? Any help is needed. It does have comfort access but they key doesn't open.

My Cars
    '04 325i, '01 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 1989 e3o View Post
    My dad's key fob battery is down for his 08 550i. I have Googled and watched videos on Youtube but neither of his keys have a battery door. Are they rechargeable? Any help is needed. It does have comfort access but they key doesn't open.
    If the car has comfort access, you should have keys with the battery door. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing you can probably get a regular non-CA key to work on a car with CA, but the comfort access features definitely will not work with it. Are you sure you're not overlooking the door? Here's a picture of both keys side by side...

http://autoconsignmentofsandiego.com...Access_Key.jpg

The regular key recharges by induction when it's in the ignition. The comfort access key is not rechargeable, thus the replaceable battery.

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 750il
    It looks like the regular key but does function like a comfort access key. I just tried plugging it in and seeing if it would recharge and it did a bit.

My Cars
    e60
    ive seen a thread where people take apart the regular style key and replace the battery. its a rechargeable battery, but it goes bad i assume after time. it even shows part number for the type of battery to replace it with. worth a search.