Thread: iDrive issue

My Cars
    2008 535i

iDrive issue

I have a 2008 535 and when I insert the key into the ignition the iDrive & radio used to come on and play with no issues, but now the iDrive comes on then goes off. When I start the car the iDrive comes on but the radio is muted every time even if the radio wasn't muted at shutdown. Do you guys have any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can resolve it?

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    you have a most bus issue more than likely. take it to someone with BMW exp and that has BMW diag to properly diag your car.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    BMW e34 540i
    When you drive for a while does the iDrive comes back to normal ?

My Cars
    2008 535i
    The iDrive works just fine when the ignition is on, but it doesn't stay on when the key is inserted like it's supposed to. As soon as I insert the key the iDrive comes on then shuts off. I have already tried a CCC reset by holding down both eject buttons and mute at the same time.

My Cars
    BMW e34 540i
    No I mean you mentioned it mutes, when you drive after a while does it unmute or it stays muted ?

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Every time I start the car I have to unmute the radio but once that's done everything works fine.

My Cars
    BMW e34 540i
    I am suspecting there is a software issue not hardware which your iDrive needs to be updated, do you have CIC or CCC ?

My Cars
    2008 535i
    I have a CCC. It was working fine until the key was cycled in the ignition while trying to fix the shifter position LED on the shifter.

My Cars
    BMW e34 540i
    If I were you I wouldn't touch it since as you mentioned you just need to unmute and that's all because most of the times playing with the iDrive either updating the software by the dealer or anything else would result in killing the iDrive which you may pay a bunch of money to get another one. So my recommendation is just leave it at least for the time being but if you see in the future it creates more trouble than you can try to play with it. By the way my CCC has also some problems during the winter time when it's cold it takes 7 minutes to start up and it's my second winter but I didn't play with it since I am 80% sure it will end up with killing my iDrive

My Cars
    2008 535i
    That's what I've been doing. I was just hoping somebody had seen this before and it would be an easy fix. I even thought about disconnecting the battery for a few hours to see if that does anything.

My Cars
    BMW e34 540i
    You can disconnect the battery overnight at see what happens I hope it fixes the issue.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    I'll try that when I get a chance and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice.

My Cars
    BMW e34 540i
    You welcome