Thread: Installing Hydro on 96+ e36?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe

Installing Hydro on 96+ e36?

Hello I have a 97 e36 m3 and i'm wanting to run a hydro e-brake on it. I've done alot of searching and i keep hearing little bits about it not being possible to run on my year car something about two lines. I read up in the sticky above and saw nothing about it also tried google with hardly any luck. Was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    I don't see where the problem is. The lines to the secondary calipers run in parallel with the rear brake lines. They are independent.

Last edited by Massive Lee; 11-06-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    95 325I
    Just tee the rear lines
    ( originally posted by PROTOMOR )
    "It's like telling your child it's ok to snort coke off a cheap hooker's ass. It's ok if you do it, but you really shouldn't. And by doing it in front of your child, you are telling them it's ok to snort coke off a cheap hooker's ass. "

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe
    Yea I was wanting to run an inline staying with the same calipers. Not really wanting to go dual setup just yet.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe
    I'm not sure if im wording this wrong or whats up. I'm looking at get an asd handbrake, they look to be the most quality unit but i'm not wanting to pull the trigger till i figure out this info. If anyone has put a hydro on there 96'+ e36 m3 please let me know. I'm not wanting to run dual caliper just wanting to run in line. But from what i've heard there are more brake lines than normal i'm trying to decipher this through google and this forum but not much luck.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Basically, the 92-95 E36 braking system is 3 channel, meaning it has two channels (lines) for the front brakes, one per side. There is, however, one channel going to the rear which is Tee-d off around the back seat area to go to each wheel. The master cylinder controls the rear brakes together, as one. In this case, installing a hydro is easy, you just plumb the handbrake into that one line.

The 1996+ is 4 channel, meaning each wheel/caliper has it's own line coming from the Master (or ABS pump in this case). In this case, you have two rear brake lines coming back under the car and splitting off to their respective calipers. What you need to do in this case, is Tee these two lines into one to plumb into the handbrake inlet. The outlet of the handbrake is then going to be one line as well, which you must split into two, using the same method used for the inlet, generally just a Tee fitting, so each caliper out back has it's own line again.

I, as well as many others, have had great luck with the 3-channel, however I've heard people having lots of weird issues plumbing a hydro into a 4-channel system--from different makes and models as well as the E36 specifically.
    Last edited by bennyfizzle; 11-07-2012 at 12:26 PM.

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    just use the abs as a splitter because theres a rear out fitting on the master, and it goes into the abs then becomes 2 lines. had this on my car for a loooong time WITH NO PROBLEM then i went v8
    -Andrew Mensah

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe
    Thank you guys for the advice i'll have to do more research on what you've said, all this brake talk is pretty new to me but i appreciate any help i can get.

My Cars
    95 325I
    Quote Originally Posted by RightM3ow
    Thank you guys for the advice i'll have to do more research on what you've said, all this brake talk is pretty new to me but i appreciate any help i can get.
    Holy crap what more research? Three people have told you exactly how to do it.
    "It's like telling your child it's ok to snort coke off a cheap hooker's ass. It's ok if you do it, but you really shouldn't. And by doing it in front of your child, you are telling them it's ok to snort coke off a cheap hooker's ass. "

My Cars
    1998 328is Coupe
    To anyone who has installed a hydraulic hand brake; what location have you used for a routing into the cabin for brake lines? What is the easiest way to bend these lines? I hope i'm not thread-jacking, I figured the answers to these questions can help OP.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakDancer View Post
    Holy crap what more research? Three people have told you exactly how to do it.
    You not being one of them.... i like to know exactly what im getting into before i get into it, and before spending my money on something that may be sub par or function worse than another product. Thanks for looking out though.

My Cars
    95 325I
    Quote Originally Posted by RightM3ow

You not being one of them.... i like to know exactly what im getting into before i get into it, and before spending my money on something that may be sub par or function worse than another product. Thanks for looking out though.
    What part of me saying tee into the lines confused you?

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Just to mention that there are several threads in this section mentionning the problems with using the stock calipers for the handbrake by simply splicing in a handbrake lever/master. If it is just for looks, youù'll be fine. If you are into drifting, it will suck becaue of the interactions between the main brake system and your handle. Just saying.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe
    Look it might be blatantly obvious for you. But i have not done much with brakes in the way of adding another thing into the system so I'm just trying to gather as much knowledge as possible. So no your statement to T the lines at that point didn't help me much. Now that he has further explained it and I've found his thread where he was learning on the subject i see what you mean but before that i couldn't even picture what you where talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Massive Lee View Post
    Just to mention that there are several threads in this section mentionning the problems with using the stock calipers for the handbrake by simply splicing in a handbrake lever/master. If it is just for looks, youù'll be fine. If you are into drifting, it will suck becaue of the interactions between the main brake system and your handle. Just saying.
    It's not just for looks......... -___- god i thought i left zilvia. I can see the advantages to dual calipers but when others are making this work and saying it works fine.... just curious as to what is regurgitated info and what is known thats all. By the way did you make your own dual setup? That setup in the pic is super clean.
    Last edited by RightM3ow; 11-07-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Quote Originally Posted by RightM3ow View Post
    By the way did you make your own dual setup? That setup in the pic is super clean.
    Made a batch last winter. Also have them for e30s.

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    those are pretty cool..
    -Andrew Mensah

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe
    Just out of curiosity do you have any left? And if so could you pm me a price?

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Quote Originally Posted by TheM3nsah
    those are pretty cool..
    They work great too!

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakDancer View Post
    What part of me saying tee into the lines confused you?
    Saying to "tee" into the rear lines isn't accurate anyway.

And more importantly, if you "tee" into the rear brake circuit with another master cylinder, you will actually just ELIMINATE the rear brake system altogether.

The proper way to run a hydro which uses the stock calipers is "inline".

The way TheM3nsah said would work, but I highly recommend Lee's setup for keeping your stock brakes intact and having a complete secondary system.

Also double check that your car has 2 rear brake lines all the way back. My '96 328 had 3-channel ABS.
    Last edited by SLR; 11-07-2012 at 11:36 PM.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    I have an ASD inline with my 3-channel system, have been using it all year, no weird interactions between the brake pedal and handbrake when used in every condition I could imagine and no signs of staying locked or the brakes not working or whatever else people complain about.

The pedal is a bit longer, but I attribute that to the extra 9' of line I ended up using, as well as the volume in the handbrake master itself.

My Cars
    1998 328is Coupe
    These are for holding the second caliper? Man, if you want to sell another set let me know. i'd gladly take a set asap. kevin.cuddington@gmail.com is my email, or PM me. Thanks.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 1994 325i
    Massive lee do you have any of those brackets left

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yes he does. Email him and he will send them to you.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?