Thread: cam upgrades

My Cars
    1991 BMW325i

cam upgrades

looking to up grade my camshaft. has anybody tried the schrick 272 degree cam shaft. if so feed back would be appreciated orr any other cam shaft. for stock e30 325i motor believe its the m20? not sure kinda of new to bmw

My Cars
    1991 325i
    272 is a good cam for that engine. i helped a friend put one in his 2.7 stroker and that thing rips. just know that you will probably have a fairly bumpy idle. what else are you doing to the engine? also that is an m20b25.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    1987 325, 1987 325is
    Definitely call me out if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a few folks saying the 272 itself didn't really offer a performance bump in their stroker builds. I'll see if I can find those statements...

Personally, I can't say, though.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    I can definitely attest to the 284/272 Schrick offering a performance boost on a proper 2.7i. I have a few other mods going on but the car does indeed rip.
    I gained power from idle all the way up to redline and don't have to wait for the engine to 'come on cam' for the power surge like the stock 256 camshaft does @3500 rpm.

If you go 284, make sure you plasticine the valve clearances before torquing down the head; it is borderline safe with stock pistons, at least it was for me.

My Cars
    97 740i
    I can say that with my SETA 2.7i build I used the 284, I like it at low RPM's and has a crazy lump sound to the idle (which is sweet), but I love it when it really hits when you rev it out. I really don't feel much till about 3500 but when it starts to pull it REALLY Pulls. I really need a 3.73 diff though, the 2.93lsd I have is lame

My Cars
    95 BMW M Techniq SCCA Ep
    To add cam, you must add compression....does not work one without the other. Chuck

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,
    Does anyone have pictures of the schrick cam? I rebuild 885 heads and all the cams I came across have the letter "K" stamped on the end by cylinder #6. I did come across one that has the letter "M" stamped on it. The cam looks to be slightly different. I would like to know what I have.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Baader View Post
    To add cam, you must add compression....does not work one without the other. Chuck
    this isnt necessarily true, you can make smaller cam changes without compression changes and see an improvement. thats not to say the improvements wouldnt be more significant with a compression change.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    E34 HD61 E39 DH61
    Hello Gents, i recently installed a Schrick 288 cam & valve springs on my B25 M20.
    It improved the rev range significantly & power is better above 3500rpm....
    Thing is, my brakes are weaker. Pedal is spongy when you depress the pedal consecutively.
    Feels like, i lack vacuum in my brake booster.
    Any suggestions on how to restore the original brake pedal feel?

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    you might have to add a vacuum pump, like a diesel engine has to give them brake assist. maybe pull from a junkyard truck, if you have any in your part of the world. i am not sure, i have never been to the Philippines
    No e30s again.