Thread: From M54B22 to M54B25

My Cars
    Z3 E36

From M54B22 to M54B25

Hi everybody!
    I have a 2001 z3 with a M54B22 (European 2.2i) on it.
    It's a good engine, but I'd like more torque from my zed. As I don't want to use a supercharger or similar, I was wondering what would involve to swap my M54B22 with a M54B30 engine.
    I have to change transmission and gearbox too?
    I saw on realoem that they mount different gearbox and transmission, different clutch and so on... The ECU, if I am right, could be reprogrammed.
    Thanks for any suggestion!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Yup - different trans etc (from 250G to 320Z)... if you did such you'd want to swap the eng + trans as one unit. Likewise you'd need to swap the half-shafts in that the 1.9, 2.2 and 2.5 use lesser ones, while the 3.0 and ///Ms use larger diameter ones. [also, don't know if the 2.2 uses the 188mm ring gear diff, or the smaller one from the 1.9.] But all said and done - suspect one would be money ahead if one sold the 2.2 and bought a fresh 3.0.

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    Thanks for the answer!
    I know that it would be cheaper to get another car instead of swapping the engine, but i really love my car, and i will never find another one wich has the same combination of colors etc...
    Furthermore here in Italy is much expensive to have a 3.0l insetad of a 2.2, the taxes are really high and if you get a 3.0L you are monitored by the tax authorities.
    If I do the job, i will do it taking the time it needs.
    I had a quick look on realoem and i found the following differences between 3.0 and 2.2:

-Manual drive shaft gearbox 26117511275
    -Rmfd final drive with differential 33107508264
    -Rmfd-output shaft 33217504520

I have to get all of them to do the job, right? I mean, if i don't have one of these, the "parts" won't fit, right?

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    The gearbox and everything behind it will bolt to the 3.0L. The largest hurdle is figuring out which clutch/flywheel combo fits in the 2.2L gearbox that will hold the 3.0L torque. I have a hunch a new stock unit would suffice but you'll have to research that.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    The getrag trans should hold 3.0 power no problem.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The getrag will hold the power, but it is known for having weaker syncros, at least on the E36 side.

The good thing about the ZF transmission is that you should be able to find it for around 300 eur +/- in Europe.

It all depends how well you want the conversion to be.
    Do the authorities there actually check the engine that is under the hood? I know they do so in many EU countries.

...or else us Americans will just tell you to drop in a 5.7 LS1 V8 (if in the states) :P
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
    The gearbox and everything behind it will bolt to the 3.0L. The largest hurdle is figuring out which clutch/flywheel combo fits in the 2.2L gearbox that will hold the 3.0L torque. I have a hunch a new stock unit would suffice but you'll have to research that.
    You mean that I can just use the engine with my gearbox and so on, with a new clutch/flywheel (anyway just replacing clutch/flywheel with something else)?

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    The getrag will hold the power, but it is known for having weaker syncros, at least on the E36 side.

The good thing about the ZF transmission is that you should be able to find it for around 300 eur +/- in Europe.

It all depends how well you want the conversion to be.
    Do the authorities there actually check the engine that is under the hood? I know they do so in many EU countries.

...or else us Americans will just tell you to drop in a 5.7 LS1 V8 (if in the states) :P
    I can try to use my transmission and change it in a second time if it has problems. If I'm right the gears on 2.2 are shorter than 3.0 gearbox. Right?
    Here authorities are not so permissive. If I'd swap a 5.7 they would probably burn my car... LOL! (Don't forget that here premium gasoline costs about 2 € per liter!!!)

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnNiks View Post
    The getrag trans should hold 3.0 power no problem.
    That's a great news to me!

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    I noticed that I wrote wrong the title of the post... It should have been FROM M54B22 to M54B30, but I think you all understood it.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by boldrok View Post
    I can try to use my transmission and change it in a second time if it has problems. If I'm right the gears on 2.2 are shorter than 3.0 gearbox. Right?
    Here authorities are not so permissive. If I'd swap a 5.7 they would probably burn my car... LOL! (Don't forget that here premium gasoline costs about 2 € per liter!!!)
    Yes, I know the price in italy for gas. I did a big drive through Italy/France/Austria/Switzerland/Germany in February in a 323i. It hurt paying so much for gas. Oh well. Too much taxation on gas in Europe.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 11-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Yes, I know the price in italy for gas. I did a big drive through Italy/France/Austria/Switzerland/Germany in February in a 323i. It hurt paying so much for gas. Oh well. Too much taxation on gas in Europe.
    Yep, it really HURTS!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    More good news to you is that as long as your clutch is in good shape currently, you will be able to reuse it. Clutches are gear box specific, not engine specific.

My buddy hatchgraphix used the getrag on his 318ti m50 turbo, it started shreding layshaft bearings at 400whp, so you should be fine.

As far as the rear diff goes, I'm not sure if you have the small case or the medium case. If you have a small case non LSD, then I would suggest switching to a medium case LSD. The ratio is completely up to you but I would suggest a 3.46 for best all around performance.

As far as the engine swap goes you might even be able to reuse your wiring harness if you are swapping dual vanos to dual vanos.

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    More good news to you is that as long as your clutch is in good shape currently, you will be able to reuse it. Clutches are gear box specific, not engine specific.

My buddy hatchgraphix used the getrag on his 318ti m50 turbo, it started shreding layshaft bearings at 400whp, so you should be fine.

As far as the rear diff goes, I'm not sure if you have the small case or the medium case. If you have a small case non LSD, then I would suggest switching to a medium case LSD. The ratio is completely up to you but I would suggest a 3.46 for best all around performance.

As far as the engine swap goes you might even be able to reuse your wiring harness if you are swapping dual vanos to dual vanos.
    Good, good to know!
    The diff ratio of 2.2 should be 3.38, and mine being a SportEdition has LSD. It's a bigger case from the M43 and M44, but smaller than the 2.5. At this point I think I can try with it anyway.
    The engines are both M54 dual vanos (I upgraded mine with beysan o-rings a few months ago, in case I will use my vanos in the new engine) so it will be easy to reuse my wiring harness.
    A smaller diff ratio means that gears are shorter right?

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    Now that you all cleared my ideas about transmission I'm wondering if I have to change the exhaust manifolds.... Or I can use mine? I think that I can use mine, but I'm not sure about it.

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    Another point is: where can I have my DME reprogrammed? I can go to a BMW center asking them to reprogram it for a M54B30 or I can do it using the OBDII adapter and some software?

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    Well as far as the diff ratios go, longer generally means a higher top speed. It sounds like you should be just fine with the diff that you have.

For the exhaust manifolds, they should be the same because both motors share the dual Vanos head. Personally I would get some cheap headers from eBay, once you see the design of the stock manifolds up close there isn't a chance you will want to reuse them.

Your best option with the DME is just going to be plugging a 3.0 DME into your wiring harness. Then you will just need to have the EWS system aligned by the dealer (so your chip key will start the car).

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    So "my 3.0" will have shorter gears than a normal 3.0. That means a better 0-60, and that is something I would really appreciate!
    For the exhaust manifold I had a look and yes, they are the same. You mean that they are so horrible that It's better to change them?

For the DME, if I get a 3.0 DME I can still use my keys after realigning them with EWS in BMW?

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    So "my 3.0" will have shorter gears than a normal 3.0. That means a better 0-60, and that is something I would really appreciate!
    It won't really be "faster" but quicker, and the power will be more useable.

For the exhaust manifold I had a look and yes, they are the same. You mean that they are so horrible that It's better to change them?
    In my opinion I really think that they are horrible, even just looking at them you wonder how they flow!

For the DME, if I get a 3.0 DME I can still use my keys after realigning them with EWS in BMW?
    Yes, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    It won't really be "faster" but quicker, and the power will be more useable.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Shorter gears mean a lower top speed but more acceleration.

In my opinion I really think that they are horrible, even just looking at them you wonder how they flow!
    Mmmm, they really look horrible! But I think that I have to use old ones to lower the operation's costs...

Yes, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
    I hope so!

My Cars
    Z3 E36
    As it would be "my first time", I don't know where to look for the engine.
    I think it's quite impossible to find an M54B30 from a Z3 here in Italy and maybe in Europe. I'll have to look for the engine from other cars (3,5,7 series). It wouldn't be a problem right?
    What do you think about buying the engine on eBay from professional car parts sellers?

My Cars
    1997 bmw e39

m54b30 swap for m54b22

good day.i want to no can i fit a m54b22 engine in a m54b30 body 2001 e39. will it be plug n play or will i need to change certain stuff.