Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E39 DSP Delete with HAT Imagine - Sounds terrible

My Cars
    2002 540i/6

Unhappy E39 DSP Delete with HAT Imagine - Sounds terrible

I performed a DSP delete in my E39 using HAT Imagine 6.5" speakers powered by two channels of a Zapco 1000.4. So far I have only hooked up the passenger side speaker.

The speaker works and the DSP menu is gone from my radio so I assume it was successful but the sound quality is terrible. If I turn up the radio even the slightest bit the speaker starts to distort and it almost sounds like it is running off deck power and not 100 watts from one channel of my amp. Even my subwoofer now sounds very underpowered whereas before it sounded pretty good running off just the rear speaker channels under DSP.

I chose to extract the circuit board from the stock speakers and am using the white plug only. I spliced the wiring from the stock woofer pod into my HAT speaker. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    95 M3 - SOLD
    02 540i/6 - SOLD
    '12 Audi A6

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

A very nice way to upgrade is to perhaps use a signal processor which will take ALL the outputs from the oem DSP amp, and 'sum' them up, boost the output voltage, provide you RCA outputs, and by using clever processing power remove the factory set EQ. You'd then take that nice clean full range signal and connect to your amplifier(s) and thus then your speakers.

From what you are describing, it's hard to tell what exactly you've done. If you remove the DSP amp, you'll be left with the 'normal' amplifier and you could still do the above and connect it's outputs to a signal processor. I'm guessing you've got 'one' of the divided outputs from the DSP amplifier and somehow fed that directly to your zapco... and the wires to the stock woofer directly to the HAT driver will not work correctly either...

I'd suggest getting the signal processor and using in that configuration. Also do read up on how the DSP amplifier outputs it's signals, it's not powerful enough in the slightest to drive aftermarket speakers directly..

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2002 540i/6
    I used this method: http://brazeauracing.com/540i/audio.html so the Zapco amp is being fed a signal directly from the radio.

i also plugged the second speaker directly into the other channel with speaker wire and it sounds the same. Could it be because it is unbaffled and maybe once the door panel goes back on the sound will improve?

The front speaker channel has the high pass filter on and sub has low pass filter on. Gains are basically at their minimum level.

DSP amp is fully disconnected...

I was experimenting with different configurations on the two channels of the amp that are being used for the front speakers.

When the right speaker is hooked up to the right channel and the left speaker is hooked up to the left channel if I move the fader all the way to the left I hear full sound from the right speaker. When I move the fader all the way to the right there is no fade at all.
    Last edited by KmanM3; 11-03-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    95 M3 - SOLD
    02 540i/6 - SOLD
    '12 Audi A6

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Hello Kman,

Let us know how it souynds once you get the door panels on. Those baffles use the door as an enclosure and they need the panel on to work properly.

Tom

My Cars
    2002 540i/6
    Sounds better now after putting the panels on and tweaking the amplifier.
    95 M3 - SOLD
    02 540i/6 - SOLD
    '12 Audi A6

My Cars
    2006 M3
    I've had better success with using a JBL MS-8 as a DSP replacement. Replace it with this unit and you will see how much the factory DSP lacks, and how surprisingly amazing the stock speakers are. I'm also running the HAT L6 and L1 up front now, but the stock speakers weren't bad.