Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e36 gauge mounting locations

My Cars
    14 m235i, 98 m3, 09 r56

e36 gauge mounting locations

Group,

After several years with a gutted, noisy, no radio/no HVAC no creature comforts at all e30 track car, I've sold it and moved on to an e36 m3.

After taking the "new" car to Mid-Ohio last month, I'm not in a big hurry to strip this one as I'll continue driving it to and from track events. It is nice to have the A/C and radio working for that.

But I want to get some aftermarket gagues in the car, and seem to be pretty limited on my options for where to locate them.

The sunglass tray location is a no-go. That is so far out of the line of vision as to be useless for me. I really dont want to remove the radio or eliminate the center stack vents.

That leaves me with the A-pillar and "mouse ears" steering column locations. The problem is, both of those are 2 pod options. Ideally, I'd want to put in Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Water Temp. I suppose I could put in a 4th gauge and use a combination of those locations, but if possible, I'd like all three to be in the same area so as to see them at a quick glance.

Is there another option I am missing? Does anyone make or has anyone fabricated a nice dash top pod for three gauges? Or is there a three gauge a-pillar pod out there I am just not finding?

Anyone have any other suggestions? Any advice is appreciated.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Euro M3 cluster with integrated oil temp gauge where the economy gauge is on the USDM car and then the mouse ears.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    One for sale in mid-atlantic region and race car parts sections (same seller) of the forum right now.

My Cars
    TV M3
    I used the rally-road steering column mount, and 2 SPA dual gauges. As long as you don't mind the digital display, its a nice way to get 2 gauges in one, and has some nice features like alarm settings, peak recall, etc..

My Cars
    14 m235i, 98 m3, 09 r56
    dual gauges is an interesting possibility - had not considered that. SPA gauges up the budget I'd need, but I actually like the digital readouts.

Any chance you have a handy picture of your setup?

My Cars
    97 Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by uconnr View Post
    I used the rally-road steering column mount, and 2 SPA dual gauges. As long as you don't mind the digital display, its a nice way to get 2 gauges in one, and has some nice features like alarm settings, peak recall, etc..
    +1 I have the SPA dual oil pressure/oil temp and prosport water temp on my steering column.

My Cars
    14 m235i, 98 m3, 09 r56
    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneBetter View Post
    +1 I have the SPA dual oil pressure/oil temp and prosport water temp on my steering column.

My Cars
    '98 M3; '72 2002tii
    The steering column gauge mounts look cool, but do you ever hit them with your hands when turning the wheel?

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport

How about this?

Made by Garmin its a GPS unit. Like $200. Read off the OBD2 port.

Read more...
    http://www.brrperformance.com/projec...hp?page_id=139

The car comes with an oil temp gauge in the main gauge panel, but you can’t monitor any other functions while driving (at least not safely). So, we found what we think is a killer “win-win” solution for gauges. Garmin, the company known for their GPS solutions, offers a feature on some of their systems for Eco-friendly driving, so that you can monitor the gas mileage. BUT, what a lot of people don’t know, is that they added a whole “gauge” set option. They have an interface to the OBDII port that collects all the real-time engine data. You can then select the gauge options you want to display, and for us, we made one of them the water or coolant temperature. In this way, I can compare the oil temp and water temp at the same time. This has been very helpful. The price is great too….about $200 for the gauge, and it includes a full GPS system.

Here are some pics of the Garmin installed, with the OBDII cable connected (you can see it in the above pic of the steering wheel, look down at the lower left hand corner of the picture, where the OBDII port is, and you can see the cable w the red tag on it. We then ran the cable up inside the dash to hide it and make the install cleaner…….and for power we just plugged it into the center console outlet.
    Last edited by LuxoM3; 11-01-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    14 m235i, 98 m3, 09 r56
    Not so sure about that Garmin setup. It lacks Oil Temp, which I'd want. Also, I dont know that I want that hanging from the window, nor the plug sticking out from under the dash.
    Even if the wires were tucked away, the placement of the OBDii port on the e36 is such that you'd still have the plug sticking out.

Its an interesting device, though.

My Cars
    97 Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCN View Post
    Don't have any pics of my setup at the moment, and the car is in the shop getting some welding done. Here is a picture I found on google though. An aftermarket steering wheel will make the gauges completely visible.

My Cars
    04 330xi, 98 M3/4/5
    I'd been thinking of using the Rally Road column gauge holder and doing a dual digital Spa Water T/Oil T on one side and a full sweep needle Oil P on the other since it would be easier to recognize. Ive been using my phone to monitor Water T at the track but still feel a little naked.
    [2004 330xi/6] Orient/Natural :: 117-142k :: ZSP :: ZPP :: ZCW
    [1998 M3/4/5] Cosmos/Black :: 113-125k :: TCKline D/A (500/600) :: GC Plates :: RD Sways :: GC Rear Arms :: ZHP Rack :: 3.64 Diffsonline :: PF FCAB :: BW RTAB :: AKG Subframe :: TMS Pulleys :: AA & Borla :: XBrace :: TRM C2s :: BW lines :: DTC60 :: Safety Equipment

Past:
    [1995 M3] Avus/Dove :: 141-242k :: S52 OBDI :: M50 manifold :: 3.5 HFM :: Turner Chip :: XBrace :: SS Lines :: Turner RTABS :: Vogtland CS :: Bilstein Sport :: Z3 rack
    [1999 M3] Cosmos/Black :: 65-87k :: TCKline S/A (400/500) :: Turner plates :: UUC Front Sway :: PF RTABs :: AA Intake :: Borla :: XBrace :: TRM C2s :: CL RC6E :: Safety Equipment
    [1993 325is] Brilliant/Black :: 135-139k :: Bilstein sports :: Eibach sways and springs :: Dinan camber plates and chip :: Borla :: LSD

[1983 320i] Safari/Brownish :: 219-242k :: homebrew CAI :: some rust :: multicolor body panels

My Cars
    BMW
    I run an ATI "mouse ear" set up on my e36. The pods are in just the right location that with the stock steering wheel I can clearly see the gauges. Yeah it only holds two gauges but with devices such as the SPA, PLX, DeFi, etc you could run multiple gauges (52mm in the case of the ATI set up) in each pod.

My Cars
    TV M3
    dual gauges is an interesting possibility - had not considered that. SPA gauges up the budget I'd need, but I actually like the digital readouts.

Heres a pic of when i was still getting the interior back together.

Ive since gone to a digital dash or else I'd tale more pics for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gforcealt View Post
    The steering column gauge mounts look cool, but do you ever hit them with your hands when turning the wheel?
    Ive used the rally road set-up on 2 of my cars (one with stock steering wheel) and never had an issue. Theres easily a few inches of clearance behind the steering wheel.

Heres a VDO set-up I had with the RR pod and A-pillar pod

Last edited by uconnr; 11-01-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    bmw
    Not saying this would be the best option for you, but just to keep tossing out ideas, you could use a data aquisition screen based system. Something like RLC Racing's Micropod Lite. Besides the lap timing functions, etc, lots of these devices will let you monitor several engine parameters at once, and you can set them to alert you (via flashing red screen and such) if anything is out of expected range. You can set the parameters. This particular system is small enough to tuck in front of the center vents, yet allow them to function pretty normally. The one I'm thinking of has the harness coming out the side , rather than the rear, to allow close mounting to the dash area.

Ken
    Last edited by drken; 11-01-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si

Thumbs up

But I want to get some aftermarket gagues in the car, and seem to be pretty limited on my options for where to locate them.

The sunglass tray location is a no-go. That is so far out of the line of vision as to be useless for me. I really dont want to remove the radio or eliminate the center stack vents.

That leaves me with the A-pillar and "mouse ears" steering column locations. The problem is, both of those are 2 pod options. Ideally, I'd want to put in Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Water Temp. I suppose I could put in a 4th gauge and use a combination of those locations, but if possible, I'd like all three to be in the same area so as to see them at a quick glance.
    how about a combo....the 2 most important of the gauges you list are water temp and oil pressure....Put those 2 in a mouse ear setup on the steering column and mount the oil temp gauge in the sunglass holder.

My thinking is that oil temp is less of an immediate concern prblem maker than water temp or oil pressure in the middle of a track session....rising oil temps isn't too big a problem that it cannot be ignored for 2 laps compared to water temp or oil pressure.
    -Rich-

My Cars
    M3 x2, 911 Turbo x2, etc
    Peter Carroll - http://www.driversmeeting.com/pcarroll
    BMW Club Instructor & Club Racer, 1997 BMW M3 GTR #321
    2008, 2009, & 2011 BMW CCA National C-Mod Champion

Videos channels at:
    http://vimeo.com/pcarroll/videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pc270

My Cars
    1993 325is
    OK. I fail at taking pics in the darkness of the garage, but here's my best attempt. And no jokes about my Autometer narrow band air/fuel gauge. It's actually hooked up to a PLX wideband setup with one of their old school narrow band to wideband converters and displays actual wideband readings.

I bought my cluster from an Ebay seller in the UK. You'll get it for about $150-160 if you go that route.
    Last edited by jakermac; 11-02-2012 at 01:26 AM.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Gauges

My choice was back to the sunglass holder for all 3 gauges for:
    -engine oil pressure
    -water temp
    -engine oil temp
    -tranny oil temp
    -diff. oil temp

All with visual and audio warnings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You can put 3 pods on the pillar. I have all individual gauges, but like the idea of duals. Unfortunately, they are expensive and there are not so many choices or combinations.

People have fitted them into the center vent. Also, a custom fiberglass pod could be made for the top or side of the dash.

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    For years, I had three gauges mounted on the top of the dash, in the line of sight. The pod was velcroed on the dash. Loved it.

1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    e36 M3, B5 S4, Camar
    I was very happy with the decision to ditch the radio. I know you'd rather not, but I thought I'd show you what it looks like at least.

2001 Audi S4 Sold
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan Race Car - NASA GTS-2
    2012 BMW X5d
    1978 Camaro Z-28

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Similar to above, I ditched the HVAC and kept the radio. The panel is din sized. I still prefer the gauges higher up, possibly where the center vent is. Just working with I have though.

My Cars
    IP #114, X5 50, F150
    what did you use for a gauge cluster in the stereo slot?

My Cars
    e36 M3, B5 S4, Camar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlebl1 View Post
    what did you use for a gauge cluster in the stereo slot?
    eBay for the actual panel that fits in there...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-VDO-...e218d6&vxp=mtr

Everything else came from Autometer(Angle rings, gauges, hoses, etc).

2001 Audi S4 Sold
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan Race Car - NASA GTS-2
    2012 BMW X5d
    1978 Camaro Z-28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast