Thread: Driver Airbag Resistance Too High

My Cars

Driver Airbag Resistance Too High

Ok so I had to replace my clock spring because it broke.

After I installed it and then reset the airbag light with PA soft. I get two shadow errors that I can't clear.

Driver airbag, stage 2, resistance too high.
    Driver airbag, stage 1, resistance too high.

After googling it seems like it may be the used clock spring I installed. Some say shadow errors aren't even meant to be seen. If this was something that didn't affect my safety I probably would just brush it aside.

The light stays off but these codes remain. Is it safe to keep this way or should I send this one back and get another? Is it because this clock spring is from an older/newer car that wasn't made for 2 stage airbags?

I haven't driven my car for over a week because I didn't have a working airbag. It's getting pretty annoying and I just want a definitive answer.

My Cars
    98m395m30032394318ic
    Well... I can tell you for sure 100% not to use a multimeter to check resistance there, or you might end up deploying! (sends current through to test).. Also, beware, some codes like "short to ground" for the airbag, should not be cleared, or you might end up with a face full of bag too.

That code can happen when contact to the slip ring is weak, or with poor contacts in general at the connections. . so if that's all good, I would suspect your AfterMkt. part.

that being said, if your airbag light is not on, the airbag will deploy. (maybe not with the stage feature, but who cares? )
    Either the shadow code will clear on it's own, or it will set a hard fault.
    93 e36 vert / 95 E36 M3 Alpine / 98 M3/4 Estoril / 00 '46 Frankenbimmer CI , 68s / shark tooth injected driver bolster with slimline low gloss duct tape / angled front pass kidney grill with custom eject hood release / EE LEDs moisture sealed/ Pep Boys silicone / Google sky point OEM HIDs with glovebox leveling arm after wishbone install / custom BMW round pin diagnostic to USB cabin routed laptop with INPA for constant CE light delete / sock modded / t-shirt mod / clicking sound.

My Cars
    thanks for the reply.

i have another slip ring that they sent me with a broken clip. im going to try that one out and see if i end up with the same problem.

it could also be the wiring/connectors like you said. ive read a few threads where people talk about replacing the wiring but im not sure of the part number and im sure its cheap. could anyone help out with that?

also i seem to have bent the spring on the left ever so slightly somehow that holds the airbag. i guess ill try and bend it back unless someone knows where to purchase a used or new spring/bracket thing.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    Looks like exactly what I'm dealing with