Thread: 5HP24 A5S 440Z question

My Cars
    '98 (M62) BMW E38 740i

5HP-24 A5S 440Z question

'98 740i

It all seemed simple enough...

The refill plug is noted to be in the right-rear. The manual shows where the plug is. But, there are TWO plugs next to each other in that position. I can't tell from the picture in the manual (Bentley) which plug is the correct plug. Maybe there are two plugs..one for a threaded pump setup, one for overflow?

I've not seen that mentioned anywhere.

I don't want to take a fitting off expecting access to the pan cavity and be surprised with a sproinging spring and missing checkball!

ARE the two plugs 'duplicates'?

Thanks much!

My Cars
    1999 E38 740i
    You need to find the plug lower than those two.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited by Grantnz; 10-25-2012 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    '98 (M62) BMW E38 740i
    Holy cow. Was I ever in the wrong neighborhood!

THANK you! Most helpful indeed!!

My Cars
    '98 (M62) BMW E38 740i
    It took me a long while to get to it...but some closing notes:

Changed the transmission oil this weekend. All went OK. I used ZF fluid and a Filtran filter. Trans took a bit over an additional liter after initial cold-fill and engine start/tranmission gear cycle.

It might be useful to have a plug tap on hand to chase the pan threads. I had one bolt that got 'tight' on INstall (after 4-5 turns by hand..no crossthread). After 1/2 turn of 'tight' I removed the bolt to see thread lock residue. Repeated that process until no more residue came out with the bolt, but it was still not threading freely. This particular hole (on the rear flange) is about 4" deep, so even a normal tapered tap would get the job done...you would just end up with some metal tailings you would want to be sure to clean up.

Old gasket came off cleanly, no scraping required. A bit of goop on the magnets, a bit in the pan bottom. Fluid was dark, but could still see though the edges of the pour as it drained. It's VERY slippery stuff!

After the first fill and check, I let the car sit and cool, then restarted it, cycled through the gears, ran engine 'til trans reached check temp according to the Bentley manual (test by touch..no DIS tool), checked level again..right on (a tad of dribble out of the fill hole).

124K miles on the car. Used a bit over six liters of fluid. Manual said four liters for a filter replace/pan drop. I had bought eight liters just to be sure I had enough. That turned out to have been a good idea.

Oh...car was level as determined with a spirit level.

Thanks again for the correction on the drain plug. It was easier to see with the car jacked on both ends..AND a light!

My Cars
    2001 E38 740I sport
    Sounds the same as my story when I recently did my trans. 115K. I was over 5 quarts almost 6 if I remember also. Then as it warmed I checked the temp of the dribble and once in spec I tightened the fill plug. I drove it for a couple of days then dropped the fluid only from the drain plug on the pan. This was because the torque converter fluid and other fluid is now mixed w/ the new fluid. Well when I drained it I was happy I did. It looked dirty as mixed. Did the same drain and fill procedure but didn't drop the pan as i don't think it was necessary to do another filter. Again about 5 quarts and now my fluid is pretty much new. Shifts and drives great, good for another 50k I'm sure.

PS: from the look of my fluid and pan I'm certain it was original but not too bad looking.

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by seamus2154 View Post
    Sounds the same as my story when I recently did my trans. 115K. I was over 5 quarts almost 6 if I remember also. Then as it warmed I checked the temp of the dribble and once in spec I tightened the fill plug. I drove it for a couple of days then dropped the fluid only from the drain plug on the pan. This was because the torque converter fluid and other fluid is now mixed w/ the new fluid. Well when I drained it I was happy I did. It looked dirty as mixed. Did the same drain and fill procedure but didn't drop the pan as i don't think it was necessary to do another filter. Again about 5 quarts and now my fluid is pretty much new. Shifts and drives great, good for another 50k I'm sure.

PS: from the look of my fluid and pan I'm certain it was original but not too bad looking.
    It probably was original.. most people don't understand it's not literally LIFETIME, its 10 years, or 100k.. Completely misconstrued.. So people think the fluid is like some amazing stuff that will last a million miles.. NO... its fluid just like any other fluid that should be changed.. Glad you did it.