View Poll Results: Which Fabric is the most Desired?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • E36 Black Rain

132 53.88%
  • E36 Gray Hurricane

34 13.88%
  • E36 Black "Zig Zag"

42 17.14%
  • E46 M Tech Perforated Alcantara

23 9.39%
  • Other

11 4.49%
  • Hugo: Poll requirement

3 1.22%
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The most desired fabric? Black or Gray Hurricane? E46 M Tech Alcantara?

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by FerM3
    What kind of cost are we looking at here?
    I have no idea what this company will charge. The e30 cloth was selling for $70\yard but I think the guy was making a nice chunk off it. As for the alcantara, I can get it well below $50/yard. It's the real stuff. I would say you need 4 yards of alcantara and 6 of the m fabric if you want to do seats and door cards.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    as long as it's jvit27's, it might give me motivation.
    Why wait for me to bring one into this world when he could just punch you.

Quote Originally Posted by elninoloco7 View Post
    I prefer them not being re-produced!! It will devalue them!!! Umm also .... You are missing the Grey Hurricane a.k.a M-Cross a.k.a "Zig-Zag"!!!!!

Just to clarify. The First two pics you posted are Rain. And the so called "Zig-Zag" Either in Black or Grey is called M-Cross.

I just got the Grey M-Cross....if i had black interior to begin with i would kill to get Black Rain.

Again - there is no such thing as 'Grey Hurricane'. M3 Lightweights had Hurricane cloth, and misinformed people on forums have been continuing to identify every M3 that had cloth as simply having hurricane. The reality is E36 M3's were available with five different styles of cloth in the US alone. Before it was NLA you could buy the raw material for approx $150/yard.

Further, no E36's were ever trimmed with Alcantara. BMW used Amaretta which has a slightly different nap (cost approx $600 per yard). And no, Gulf fabrics does not sell the same exact color..
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Lol

Zig zag?
    1995 ///M3 Cosmos Black/Anthracite M-Cross/Amaretta

My Cars
    2003 M3
    If you're doing any grey fabric that would be awesome. I would love to do a refresh of my interior with that.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!"

My Cars
    95 Cosmos Black M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    Why wait for me to bring one into this world when he could just punch you.

Again - there is no such thing as 'Grey Hurricane'. M3 Lightweights had Hurricane cloth, and misinformed people on forums have been continuing to identify every M3 that had cloth as simply having hurricane. The reality is E36 M3's were available with five different styles of cloth in the US alone. Before it was NLA you could buy the raw material for approx $150/yard.

Further, no E36's were ever trimmed with Alcantara. BMW used Amaretta which has a slightly different nap (cost approx $600 per yard). And no, Gulf fabrics does not sell the same exact color..
    Clearly you have been on the BMW scene longer than i have; anyways i have updated the image to eliminate confusing. Thanks for info.

My Cars
    e24, e39
    I would cover my couch in any of those!
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 04-17-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: profanity
    635csi - SHRKATK - Zinnoberrot

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Clearly you have been on the BMW scene longer than i have; anyways i have updated the image to eliminate confusing. Thanks for info.
    Good. You got the better material anyways... M-Cross is much more durable than the rain pattern. It does not succumb to pilling and dethreading like the earlier stuff does.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    Lol

Zig zag?
    Last edited by jvit27; 10-25-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    99 M3
    Interesting thread.

Does anyone know of an online retailer that sells replacement covers in alcantara or alcantara-like material? I'd be interested in replacing the covers on some vaders in which the leather bolsters have gotten torn (never liked the leather anyway). I would love to have the dark amaretta rain, dark amaretta m-cross covers, or even just black alcantara covers.

Closest thing I have found is this thread:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1736129

This ebay seller is mentioned in the thread with covers for $800 (but I don't know if the seller has non-leather covers):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-M3-V...sories&vxp=mtr

And bimmerforums member "Tricked 323i" is mentioned in this thread, and it looks like he sells covers too (website in sig is http://creativeoptions.info/). Dunno how much for his stuff.

Anyone have any experience with these sellers or sellers that have alcantara replacement covers?
    99 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post

Love the plate J!
    1995 ///M3 Cosmos Black/Anthracite M-Cross/Amaretta

My Cars
    97 M3/2/5
    subscribed
    Current cars:
    87' Zinnorot 325is
    91' Alpine white 318is
    92' E30 Alpine white Mtechnic
    97' E36 Alpine white M3/2/5

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    I've only seen 5 different cloth seats in US, never seen any of those others in person or pics anybody have pics. BMW never used hurricane or m cross descriptions it's all just lingo. Hurricane is the later fabric called that because of the chaotic design as opposed to the more symmetrical rain.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    95 Cosmos Black M3 Coupe
    I would say these are quite rare. It's still rain though...i dont know what the other cloths are.

My Cars
    Too many
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    I've only seen 5 different cloth seats in US, never seen any of those others in person or pics anybody have pics. BMW never used hurricane or m cross descriptions it's all just lingo. Hurricane is the later fabric called that because of the chaotic design as opposed to the more symmetrical rain.
    The LTW build sheet refers to the fabric Hurricane and M/CROSS is also in the build sheets for 96-99 coupes with cloth interiors.
    Last edited by MMMGP; 10-26-2012 at 10:40 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    So I have found the Black Rain or whatever the hell you want to call it samples that would be PLENTY for them to replicate. Just need to see if it will be worth while to do so.

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    I'd be interested to see estimated totals as well.

The E46 pattern has always seemed more outdated than the E36 variants to me, just plain ugly.

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    you must be really into fashion.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    well guys, good news and bad news.

Bad news first. If run on a very small production, read 20 yards are less, the projected price is $115/yard.

Good news. If run on a larger production, read 100 yards, the projected price is $65/yard.

So with that said, who's still interested?

My Cars
    Where did u find samples are they oe? I don't think it can be replicated easily the fabric is multilayer and woven together. Anything else will be a cheap copy

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    95 Cosmos Black M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    well guys, good news and bad news.

Bad news first. If run on a very small production, read 20 yards are less, the projected price is $115/yard.

Good news. If run on a larger production, read 100 yards, the projected price is $65/yard.

So with that said, who's still interested?
    Although i already have my M-Cross interior, i would be interested if you can do other patterns, the thing is, i want to know your quality of work, like do you have images of skins or other type of upholstery you have done before? Also what is the price that we are looking at? I am sure MANY people if not all owners here would be very interested, but it's all about price and quality mate.

Again i hope you can succeed in this project as it would be a great help to the BMW community

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Where did u find samples are they oe? I don't think it can be replicated easily the fabric is multilayer and woven together. Anything else will be a cheap copy
    Yes, they are OEM. I would basically be buying a full OEM interior. The multilayer shouldn't be a problem since they are doing the weave.

Although i already have my M-Cross interior, i would be interested if you can do other patterns, the thing is, i want to know your quality of work, like do you have images of skins or other type of upholstery you have done before? Also what is the price that we are looking at? I am sure MANY people if not all owners here would be very interested, but it's all about price and quality mate.

Again i hope you can succeed in this project as it would be a great help to the BMW community
    I have never done fabric before but the company doing this does classic car custom weaves. I could get samples of their other weaves, it wouldn't be a problem. The price is posted above.
    Last edited by MarketMaster; 10-26-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 M3
    Any chance you'd be doing this with the grey hurricane or whatever it's called?
    "Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!"

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by blaam3 View Post
    Any chance you'd be doing this with the grey hurricane or whatever it's called?
    As it looks right now, no. If you had a sample from the underside of your seat, I could send it in and ask pricing.

My Cars
    95 M3 and 86 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerbomar View Post
    it, I would cover my couch in any of those!

this and a make a suit!!!

iam pretty sure the fabric on door panels and seats sightly differ in the the weave to allow the fabric to contor the curves of the inserts a little better. i have a full black rain/alcantara Vader interior all made in the end of 1994. the hurricane fabric looks the same but feels 100% different. (also the picture on first page of the black rain seats for your poll are of my seats)
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 04-17-2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: profanity
    Nicholas diFeliciantonio
    Purveyor of Parts
    95 M3 Alpine on hurricane

My Cars
    Fabric is the same just came in rolls. The flat fabric fits panels fine i've seen it done.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    95 M3 and 86 535i
    ive seen someone attempt at making some rear panels using dove rain and it was iffy in my opinion. i think you owned them like 4-5 years ago CMG. the ones you bought from the racer girl that i dont know the name of but you sold panels and kept seats

iam just going off of the set i have in my car right now and the door panels are way courser and if you think its because of people butts sliding into seats smoothing out fabric thats not correct because areas where nothing as ever touched it are still smoother than panels
    Nicholas diFeliciantonio
    Purveyor of Parts
    95 M3 Alpine on hurricane

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast