Thread: E36 M3 Dinan spring rates

My Cars
    99 M3

E36 M3 Dinan spring rates

anyone know off hand what it is.
    '99 M3 Estoril/Dove coupe, loaded with goodies.

My Cars
    95, 97, 01 M3
    I have unverified information the rates are 150 lb/in Front, 400 lb/in Rear.

Cheers,
    -jerry

My Cars
    99 M3
    thanks! I left a message for the Dinan rep yesterday and have not heard back yet

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    I wouldn't expect a reply through email. I've sent 4 emails over the past 4 months with 0 replies. Calling is the only way to reach them... Super annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpy2
    I wouldn't expect a reply through email. I've sent 4 emails over the past 4 months with 0 replies. Calling is the only way to reach them... Super annoying.
    Edit: oh I guess by leaving a message you could have called xD I just assumed it was email.
    Last edited by Carpy2; 10-24-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    99 M3
    I called and left a voice mail message

Just got off the phone with Dinan about their E36 springs.. They would not give out the spring rates because it is proprietary info. But he did say that their springs are linear and not progressive and of course designed to be used in conjunction with their adjustable Koni's which are specifically valved for their springs.

I forgot to ask if the Koni's were single adjust ( I believe they are). He also said they would lower your car no more than 1/2", which in my opinion is more than enough for real world drivability. I would imagine that Dinan has spent a lot of time on the design of their springs in order to offer a suspension setup that does not compromise ride quality to a point that it affects handling and overall street drivability given our terrible roads. But it's obvious that if you are looking for a more aggressive look, these are not the springs to get.

I have had lowered cars in the past using Eibach and H & R, and will say that the street ride quality was definitely affected. But on the track given the smooth even road conditions, the ride quality and handling was fantastic.
    Last edited by richt; 10-24-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    95, 97, 01 M3
    Proprietary spring rates? Good one. Given the wire diameter and length for a linear rate spring (the only ones I will run), you can calculate the rate. (Take a look here: http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm)

It's also safe to say given their likely rates (and I believe my figures above are accurate) virtually any good quality shock you will consider will work fine. Having said that, Koni SAs are good shocks (I have two sets on E36 M3s), but so are Bilsteins (I have a set on my E46 M3).

It's not uncommon to find used Dinan springs for $150 or so - it's not like they wear out, unless badly rusted. Konis or Bilsteins can also be found used, but lots of places will also have them new, and much cheaper than Dinan.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by richt View Post
    I called and left a voice mail message

Just got off the phone with Dinan about their E36 springs.. They would not give out the spring rates because it is proprietary info. But he did say that their springs are linear and not progressive and of course designed to be used in conjunction with their adjustable Koni's which are specifically valved for their springs.
    Kind of strange... I haven't seen many spring kits be linear.

Proprietary, like they've found some secret spring rate that magically works.

Fronts are probably around 150 rears are probably around 400.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te..._m3_spring.htm

Found this too

This should be it!

Spring -> Front Rate -> Rear Rate

Stock E36 M3 ->105 ->335

LTW E36 M3 ->138 ->402

Eibach Pro Kit M3 ->148 ->428

Sachs M3 coilovers ->215 ->395

H&R 29910 (Sport) ->200 -> 380

H&R 29910 DTM(Race) -> 345 ->515

H&R Coilover ->340 -> 380

Dinan ->150 ->400

Vogtland 3.2L M3 ClubSpec -> 183 -> 460
    Last edited by propcar; 10-24-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    i have dinan springs, im very happy with my purchase USED im not paying $400 for springs... had a set of single adjust koni''s that came with them but as there dead now and i had to put my stock shocks back on. basically there just dynoed/matched and pre adjusted koni's nothing special. as for using theise springs on stock shocks it works as well as the dead koni's ive found the bump stops on both more then once. ill be replacing with new konis soon here.

they are only slightly stiffer then stock but made a nice change in handling the car feel much more even i guess to say. they do seem to lower the front more then a half inch, the rear is very slightly lowered, certainly made the car how it should have came from the factory, handling wise and cosmetically. i frequently have to drive off road and on very rough roads as well. i upgraded to turner swaybars for less body roll and an attempt to dial out some understeer.

pics:
    dinan springs

stock
    Last edited by scoobiedoo2029; 10-24-2012 at 07:08 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    Kind of strange... I haven't seen many spring kits be linear.

Proprietary, like they've found some secret spring rate that magically works.

Fronts are probably around 150 rears are probably around 400.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te..._m3_spring.htm

Found this too

This should be it!

Spring -> Front Rate -> Rear Rate

Stock E36 M3 ->105 ->335

LTW E36 M3 ->138 ->402

Eibach Pro Kit M3 ->148 ->428

Sachs M3 coilovers ->215 ->395

H&R 29910 (Sport) ->200 -> 380

H&R 29910 DTM(Race) -> 345 ->515

H&R Coilover ->340 -> 380

Dinan ->150 ->400

Vogtland 3.2L M3 ClubSpec -> 183 -> 460
    great info. I found a coil spring rate calculator which indicates, based on the spring data you supplied: that the Dinan is 125/368 (front/rear) . and stock is 89/239 not sure about the 239, unless the stock rear spring dimensions is incorrect. .

calculator:
    http://www.stockcarproducts.com/pstech10.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dotmumble View Post
    Proprietary spring rates? Good one. Given the wire diameter and length for a linear rate spring (the only ones I will run), you can calculate the rate. (Take a look here: http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm)

It's also safe to say given their likely rates (and I believe my figures above are accurate) virtually any good quality shock you will consider will work fine. Having said that, Koni SAs are good shocks (I have two sets on E36 M3s), but so are Bilsteins (I have a set on my E46 M3).

It's not uncommon to find used Dinan springs for $150 or so - it's not like they wear out, unless badly rusted. Konis or Bilsteins can also be found used, but lots of places will also have them new, and much cheaper than Dinan.
    oh thanks, I overlooked your reply. your calculator shows stock at 89/239 spring rate and Dinan 125/368. so stock rear is a lot lower spring rate.
    Last edited by richt; 10-24-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I believe stock springs are also progressive and I think Dinan's are too.

Stock springs are also preloaded.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar
    I believe stock springs are also progressive and I think Dinan's are too.

Stock springs are also preloaded.
    I can't say for sure, but stock springs do not appear to be progressive. They'd have to have coils with different spacing either at the top or bottom.

My Cars
    1995 AW M3
    Vorshlag tested them at 100 front and 425 rear - both linear.