Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Garbage Subwoofers from DSP

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    Funny you should ask......BMW offers an upgrade unit that plugs right into our system. P/N 65120439437, $254 at ebmwparts.com (BMW of Peabody here in MA). You can also try BMW of Stratham @ nhbmwparts.com. Completely plug and play in our system, and comes with a 1 yr trial subscription to Sirius Premier. That alone is $140. The only other thing you'll need is the antenna, P/N 65200034887 $39.99 and maybe the optional mounting kit 84110141975 $48.24.

I did this and it's fully integrated into the stereo system including the SAT button on the MID. Nearly CD quality sound....much better than my USA Spec IPod integration.

Check this out......
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=912513

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sirius/

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe87865 View Post
    How much worse off are the BA SE50 compared to the SC50?

the SE is about half the cost of the SC
    Everyone that has installed the SE50s are pretty happy with them. If you're really on a budget go for them.
    Last edited by BCBJr; 12-04-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    Holy SH_T! That's a great price considering 1yr of service is included! I'm going to jump all over that...

Just a few questions...
    I have the DSP NON-Navigation sound system. Is that what you have?
    What does the mounting kit do for you and where does it go?
    Where did you mount your antenna?

Thanks a TON!

My Cars
    99 540it Wagon
    what car will that Sirius tuner work on? I have a 99 with DSP.

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Holy SH_T! That's a great price considering 1yr of service is included! I'm going to jump all over that...

Just a few questions...
    I have the DSP NON-Navigation sound system. Is that what you have?
    What does the mounting kit do for you and where does it go?
    Where did you mount your antenna?

Thanks a TON!
    I have the same...non-Nav
    The mounting kit is a plate adapter along with fastening hardware that allows the Sirius receiver to easily mount in the trunk right beside the DSP amp.
    I have the antenna just sitting on top of the rear deck for now. Eventually, I am going to mount it on the roof centered right in front of the rear window. It comes with that 3M auto molding style tape on it's flat underside. Then I will run the cable down the small gap between the rear window trim and the body into the trunk area.

Quote Originally Posted by scott99540it View Post
    what car will that Sirius tuner work on? I have a 99 with DSP.
    I'm not really sure but I have a BMW installation bulletin I found on the internet and it indicates that it is applicable for E39 built after 03/02. I believe it has to do more with the vintage of the radio head that's installed up front rather than the DSP unit. You'll have to do some more digging on the forums.....

Scott....I just found this on the M5board forums..........

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...tall-tips.html
    Last edited by BCBJr; 12-05-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    I never realized your in MA until you posted the local dealers above. I tried calling the dealers last night but the parts depts were closed. I'm going to call around today to check on availability.

I've been going back and forth on my future audio upgrades and have been considering adding Sirius to the DSP system I have (this would be perfect), going with the Dynavin navigation unit or going with a double din aftermarket unit. All of these options have limitations for me.

*Current DSP system with Sirius added - still leaves me without Navigation so I have to have a Garmin stuck to my windshield
    *Dynavin - Love the unit as the system looks OEM, but no Satellite integrated (sucks). Requires me to relocate MID to glove box or replace DSP amp with aftermarket amp (lose OBC functions)
    *Aftermarket double din Nav headunit - Has all the functionality I want and need (Nav, satellite, radio, etc, etc, etc). Can look a bit weird in the E39 and requires relocating the MID to the glove box or replace the DSP amp just like the Dynavin.

Bottom line is that there's no perfect solution for the E39 BMW's...

My Cars
    99 540it Wagon
    Holy crap, that seems like a ton of work. I was planning on adding a Dynavin clone with dSP adapter and using the AUX input as a source for Sirius. My plan was to remove the CD changer, and use the sirius SCC1 with DICE duo or similar to get sat radio on board. If I have to relocate the mID, not a problem, as I have a wagon.

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    I never realized your in MA until you posted the local dealers above. I tried calling the dealers last night but the parts depts were closed. I'm going to call around today to check on availability.

I've been going back and forth on my future audio upgrades and have been considering adding Sirius to the DSP system I have (this would be perfect), going with the Dynavin navigation unit or going with a double din aftermarket unit. All of these options have limitations for me.

*Current DSP system with Sirius added - still leaves me without Navigation so I have to have a Garmin stuck to my windshield
    *Dynavin - Love the unit as the system looks OEM, but no Satellite integrated (sucks). Requires me to relocate MID to glove box or replace DSP amp with aftermarket amp (lose OBC functions)
    *Aftermarket double din Nav headunit - Has all the functionality I want and need (Nav, satellite, radio, etc, etc, etc). Can look a bit weird in the E39 and requires relocating the MID to the glove box or replace the DSP amp just like the Dynavin.

Bottom line is that there's no perfect solution for the E39 BMW's...
    You're right! there is no perfect solution. But for me, I like to keep it as close to stock as possible.

1st thing though, if you call the dealer's parts dept., you will not get the wholesale price. I don't know if you found this out yet, but there are a few dealers around the country that have an internet parts business. One of the most popular is getBMWparts.com, that's Tischer BMW down in Maryland. I recently found eBMWparts that's BMW of Peabody in Peabody, MA. They all use the same software called Trademotion and give you about 20-25% off the MSRP. The funny thing is that the price you get when you go to the parts counter is even higher than the MSRP you see on these sites. My local dealer, Gallery Group in Norwood, MA kills me on price. So I order on line at eBMWparts.com, choose local pickup at checkout then go drive up there and get it. BTW, it usually only takes about 2-3 days to get a part that is not in stock at the dealer. IMHO, I would go for price over immediate availability any day.

I also added the factory bluetooth TCU module to my setup so I do not want to go aftermarket now. I like the OEM feel so that's the way I went. I travel a bit for business and I use my HTC oneX with Google maps as my GPS so I got an iGrip universal mount that goes on the vent grill and that works for me. I know too many people with built-in GPS screens and they are always complaining about updating the maps database or how cumbersome the interface is. Google maps it is for me.

Kinda long winded reply.......last word, order on-line, pickup locally.

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by scott99540it View Post
    Holy crap, that seems like a ton of work. I was planning on adding a Dynavin clone with dSP adapter and using the AUX input as a source for Sirius. My plan was to remove the CD changer, and use the sirius SCC1 with DICE duo or similar to get sat radio on board. If I have to relocate the mID, not a problem, as I have a wagon.
    It's actually not that bad...the MID wire is long enough to reach the glove box once you cut away some of the cloth tape to free it up and the DSP adapter is really easy to make. I already have the Metra plug you need to build it and it's like 5 wires. Super easy.

One thing about the E39 is having the amp, radio and battery in the trunk. It makes all of the connections easy to do no matter if I'm going to go the Dynavin or aftermarket headunit route, replace the DSP amp, etc. It's all right there.

Quote Originally Posted by BCBJr View Post
    You're right! there is no perfect solution. But for me, I like to keep it as close to stock as possible.

1st thing though, if you call the dealer's parts dept., you will not get the wholesale price. I don't know if you found this out yet, but there are a few dealers around the country that have an internet parts business. One of the most popular is getBMWparts.com, that's Tischer BMW down in Maryland. I recently found eBMWparts that's BMW of Peabody in Peabody, MA. They all use the same software called Trademotion and give you about 20-25% off the MSRP. The funny thing is that the price you get when you go to the parts counter is even higher than the MSRP you see on these sites. My local dealer, Gallery Group in Norwood, MA kills me on price. So I order on line at eBMWparts.com, choose local pickup at checkout then go drive up there and get it. BTW, it usually only takes about 2-3 days to get a part that is not in stock at the dealer. IMHO, I would go for price over immediate availability any day.

I also added the factory bluetooth TCU module to my setup so I do not want to go aftermarket now. I like the OEM feel so that's the way I went. I travel a bit for business and I use my HTC oneX with Google maps as my GPS so I got an iGrip universal mount that goes on the vent grill and that works for me. I know too many people with built-in GPS screens and they are always complaining about updating the maps database or how cumbersome the interface is. Google maps it is for me.

Kinda long winded reply.......last word, order on-line, pickup locally.
    I have noticed that a lot of online dealer parts stores looked exactly the same. I have used Tomkinson BMW to purchase the euro armrest parts and the sunroof rail kit. I checked out ebmwparts and will start using them now since they're local. Thanks for that!

I learned the hard way about the local dealer parts depaprtments...I purchased a bunch of stuff from Tulley BMW and found out afterwards I could have save a couple hundred had I used an online parts source. UGH! Live and learn, right? LOL

I travel all over New England for business myself, which is why I need Navigation. I completely agree about updating maps...some systems are a pain, but some are easy. My Denali has a built in DVD based Nav system and swapping DVD's once a year is easy. The only thing I didn't like about it was that I couldn't input address info while the vehicle was moving. A simple adapter fixed that and now I love it. The Pioneer AVIC Nav I had in my old 4Runner was awesome but I HATED the map upgrade process and the Infiniti OEM Nav in my old G35 coupe was just plain awful.

I also agree with you that an OEM look is preferable. I like the Dynavin because of it's OEM look and design. If it had satellite radio integrated then I'd pull the trigger today for one. I'm thinking that adding the BMW sirius will keep everything OEM and I can just use my Garmin for Navigation. It'll cost a lot less than a Dynavin or aftermarket headunit.

What to do...what to do...
    Last edited by jeremyp; 12-05-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    JP, did your 540 come with a factory phone originally?

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    It's prepped for phone, but no phone was installed from the factory. I have the phone buttons on the steering wheel and on the MID. I also have the phone plugs underneath the armrest.

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    OK, check to see if you have a TCU mounted near in the electronics bay in the trunk. If you do, then you can easily add the factory Bluetooth for about $300. If you're interested, let me know I'll go into that also.

Stick with me man, I'll help you spend all your hard earned dough.......
    Last edited by BCBJr; 12-05-2012 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    I'll go check...What does the TCU look like?

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    Yeah I looked, but I don't see anything like that. I see the CD changer and DSP amp and that's about it. Does that mean that adding BT is a lot more expensive and involved?

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    Sorry JP but that's correct. When you get the upgraded TCU there is a core charge of $200 for the old unit. Some forum members have been able to find junkyard units for a small fee and turn those in but it has to be from a later model in the 2002-2003 vintage range in order to satisfy the core charge.

Another option is to try this.....
    http://www.bimmerbluetooth.com/

Just got an email-that my subs were delivered........puttin' all the speakers in this weekend.
    Last edited by BCBJr; 12-05-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    Sweet!
    I'll look into the Sirius and Bluetooth options a bit more. The BimmerBluetooth option looks like a good alternative. And your right...your causing me to spend more $$$! LOL

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    I'll be starting the sub portion of the install tomorrow. I cut a pair of 10" rings out 3/4" mdf just like JP did. I removed the rubber trim ring from the sub and used it as a template to mark the outline, then cut the inner hole on the outside of the line I marked to give it a little extra clearance so that the ring will not come into contact with the speaker surround. That resulted in a 2mm gap all the way around the ring. I then attached some 3/8" x 3/4" self adhesive weather strip to the ring, aligning it up to the inside edge similar to what JP did. Next came painting the exposed edge of the ring with some flat black spray paint I had laying around. It all worked out perfectly as the weatherstrip acts as a precise guide, aligning the ring on the sub frame where the trim ring was originally attached.

One thing I found out last night while wandering around the m5board.com is how the factory does the cutouts for the 10" subs when the M-audio is ordered. They cutout two half rings leaving the center bar in place adding strength to the rear shelf. Look here near the bottom of the page. This is how I will try to make it also.
    Last edited by BCBJr; 12-14-2012 at 02:21 PM.

My Cars
    1999 bmw 540i6
    does the stock dsp amp have enough power to drive two 10" subs? i was thinking about replacing my nokia box with two 8" alpine-R subs

Sent from my microwave using BF.com

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    Cool! So you removed the rubber trim ring completely and attached the mdf spacer ring directly to the metal sub frame? Make sure to post pics..I'd like to see how your project comes out. It's not a competition or anything...I'm just curious to see how it looks. I'm happy to hear you learned something from my project details and have improved on it.

I wish I had seen that pic of the M Audio sub cutout prior to doing mine. However, what rattling I had was strictly related to the interior rear deck vibrating against the rear window and not anything against the metal frame. The rear deck is super solid, actually.

I'm hoping to get the dynamat installed this weekend as well as re-position one of my tweeters. My driver's side tweeter seems to be directed too much towards me and it causing the staging to be off. That won't take me more than 15 minutes..

Quote Originally Posted by KenRyan View Post
    does the stock dsp amp have enough power to drive two 10" subs? i was thinking about replacing my nokia box with two 8" alpine-R subs

Sent from my microwave using BF.com
    Yes. It drives the RF subs I put in very nicely. It's MORE than enough, actually. Two 8" subs should be a super sweet upgrade over the Nokia sub box. They would be even easier to mount as well. Like the old Nike commercials...JUST DO IT! LOL
    Last edited by jeremyp; 12-07-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    91 e30-07 350Z -E63 AMG

Yes. It drives the RF subs I put in very nicely. It's MORE than enough, actually. Two 8" subs should be a super sweet upgrade over the Nokia sub box. They would be even easier to mount as well. Like the old Nike commercials...JUST DO IT! LOL
    hmmm - anyone try dropping some 6"subs into the stock nokia box. I havnt had time to take mine off and review it carefully. I know JL and a few other companies make some decent 6" subwoofers. yes subs not mids.

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by e30ultimate View Post
    hmmm - anyone try dropping some 6"subs into the stock nokia box. I havnt had time to take mine off and review it carefully. I know JL and a few other companies make some decent 6" subwoofers. yes subs not mids.
    There are some on the m5board.com that have added a separate amp to the nokia box connections and have greatly improved the sound quality and volume. This leads me to believe that the speakers are probably matched to that tuned enclosure. And, that when powered by the DSP amp is greatly underpowered. Putting new speakers in there may be a crap shoot. My money is already on adding the 2 aftermarket DVC subs.

Cool! So you removed the rubber trim ring completely and attached the mdf spacer ring directly to the metal sub frame? Make sure to post pics..I'd like to see how your project comes out. It's not a competition or anything...I'm just curious to see how it looks. I'm happy to hear you learned something from my project details and have improved on it.
    You did all that figuring out stuff, I'm just trying to save as much space as possible.... just cut another 1/2" off the height. BTW, I have weather strip on both sides of the mdf spacer. The 3/8"x3/4" is on the side that mates to the speaker frame. I'll use 3/8"x1-1/2" on the side that mates to the rear deck
    Last edited by BCBJr; 12-08-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    Well, got the subs mounted today, Whew...what a job. Seems like it took me forever to get the rear cover out! I'm happy with the way the subs came out. I also mounted the new BA mids in their small enclosures and reinstalled them. Now I have to put it back together tomorrow. Monday is supposed to be warm here low 60's so I may get a bad cold and stay home.Here are some of the pics I took.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BCBJr; 12-08-2012 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    And some more pics......
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 530i 5sp
    Nice installs guys (love the fold-down rear seats!)

I put my OEM M5 subs in about 10 years ago with a Blaupunkt PA275 amp (I have the non-premium sound system so needed a sub amp). Took low level signals from the head unit to the amp when I had my cassette head unit and this worked fine. When I swapped it out for the CD head unit... no bass! Turns out the difference in implementation of the balanced differential output signal from the two head units was sufficiently different that the Blaupunkt amp couldn't handle the output of the CD head unit. So I ended up taking high level outputs from the low frequency speaker output of the factory amp. Didn't sound quite as good but it works. I describe this for anyone who wants to upgrade the NON-DSP system in the hope that it will save them the several months' grief I had to endure to get this to work (the local car audio shops were worthless).
    Keith
    2001 530i 5sp; 2006 X5 3.0

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    Wow! It came out great! The fold down rear seats would have made my installation a LOT easier. OMFG, I was on my back inside the trunk the whole time!

I never bothered to take out the interior rear deck since I used sheet metal screws from underneath to mount the subs. That would have saved you tons of time.

So what do you think of the sound?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast