Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z3 Cracked Front Dash by Windshield

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3

Z3 Cracked Front Dash by Windshield

Does anyone definitively know if the cracked front dash by the windshield, part 51 45 8 411 618, can be replaced by taking out the windshield and removing the 3 bolts on top? I am having my windshield replaced this weekend, have the replacement dash part in hand, and figured it would be a good time to give it a try. I hear about screws coming in from the bottom too.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    I've always been curious about this piece, and was hoping I'd never have it happen to my car. I was also wondering whether it would come out through the windshield opening, and got curious enough that I went to the garage to look at the part vs. the windshield opening in my car. I saw no such part, as it looked like the dash went all the way to the glass. Just now, I put the part number in the original post into realoem to see what cars it applies to. Surprise: Roadsters only.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    I have a 2000 Z3 Roadster. The part is definitely replaceable. Im just really hoping it can be done simply once the windshield is out...

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    Curious too...

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8l
    I'm taking this and the complete dash out of my car tomorrow. My window is out at the moment and figured this would be the best time for me to pull the dash. I'm pulling my slightly shrunk beige extended leather pods out and am replacing it with the black vinyl version.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    My old cracked one was so brittle it literally crumpled to pieces while I messing around with it tonight. It looks like I should be able to get the new part in without taking the dash apart once the windshield is out.

My new question is the 3 plastic caps covering the screws.... They were brittle and broke into pieces too. The new dash part did not include new caps and I can't find them online anywhere. Anyone know where I can get 3 new ones?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8l
    Quote Originally Posted by K14Howard
    My old cracked one was so brittle it literally crumpled to pieces while I messing around with it tonight. It looks like I should be able to get the new part in without taking the dash apart once the windshield is out.

My new question is the 3 plastic caps covering the screws.... They were brittle and broke into pieces too. The new dash part did not include new caps and I can't find them online anywhere. Anyone know where I can get 3 new ones?
    I may have 3 spares. What color?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Tan

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    Good to hear BMW didn't make it replaceable on the coupes

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnNiks View Post

If so, that will suck. Mine is cracked, and I was too planning on addressing it when I get around to changing the windshield.

/.randy

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    If so, that will suck. Mine is cracked, and I was too planning on addressing it when I get around to changing the windshield.
    I'm in the same boat... I never really notice the crack in mine but just the fact that it's there bothers me

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Well, I wish you luck replacing that piece. Mine's cracked in two places also, and i've got the replacement sitting in a box waiting to go in. Two problems though, the ends of that part look like the inner windshield trim sit in grooves to hold them down. That should be easy enough to remove that trim to get the old one out and new in -- however, i've heard rumors that it's screwed in from the bottom also through the dash (hope someone can verify). The more interesting problem is the VIN is actually stuck to that part. Either you have to be "sneaky" and take the sticker off VERY carefully and relocate to the new one -- or check with the DMV to find out how to proceed. I would think though, if you take plenty of pictures of the old and new parts and keep the receipt of the new part, you should be fine (at least that's how i'm planning on proceeding).

My Cars
    2005 325XI
    K14Howard

you can buy those tan plastic caps from the BMW dealer, I've bought them.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    With the exception of about 6-8 inches of the left and right sides, I have removed pretty much the whole trim piece which was cracked. As brittle as it was it came out with ease. There are screws coming up from the bottom, but the old plastic easily broke away from them so its not an issue getting the old one off. They don't look crucial enough that I'd have to worry about screwing them into the new one, it should be plenty secured by the center bolt and the sides being secured in.

The VIN sticker is something I noticed earlier but assumed it wouldn't be tough to remove and place on the new part. Perhaps I underestimated how hard this is. Has anyone ever tried to remove and reuse a VIN sticker?

Thanks io14.. I was going to stop by the dealer at lunch tomorrow as I figured they could get some for me..
    Last edited by K14Howard; 10-22-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnNiks View Post
    It's not really that it's not replaceable, it just doesn't exist. It seems that if anything cracks on the coupe, it would involve the whole dash. I've never heard of that happening on a coupe, though.

What I haven't figured out is why the coupe and roadster are different with the dash parts. Can any roadster (or coupe) owner explain why the convertible roof means this extra dash cover/trim part is needed, or why it needs to be different? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the roadster has some extra structural bracing that meant the dash had to be slightly different. (But then I thought that all structural bracing was the same between coupe and roaster, with the coupe having been designed to have as much in common with the roaster as possible to keep costs down).

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Just got 3 new caps from the dealership, they had to order them. $21 each.. Nice!

My Cars
    01 Z3 Coupe 3.0i, Z4 2.5
    I've owned 2 Coupes, my 99 had the extended leather interior (yash's Coupe). That dash did not have the separate front piece up near the actual windshield glass and from what I recall was just part of the actual dash. However, my 2001 Coupe has that strip near the windshield and it is cracked and obviously a separate piece from the dash itself. My 2001 does NOT have extended leather. I'm thinking there are two dashes, one extended leather and one not regardless which model Z3 (Roadster, Coupe, ///M or non-///M). Since almost all the ///M Coupes came with extended leather (maybe they all did?) perhaps this is why they don't list that part?

~Mike....

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Neither of my '99 Coupes have the plastic trim strip that cracks, but I have looked at this piece on Roadys. The cracking is due to exposure to sunlight (UV) that rots the plastic. Replace it with a new one, it too will fall apart in time. Used ones are not accepable because of age and exposure. Several other cars haver this same issue, like the mid '90s GM S10/15 trucks.
    If any of you go to the trouble to replace this panel, first take it to a bodyshop to paint it the same color, or spray it with satin/flat clearcoat to get the UV protection thats needed. High-end clear topcoats have a UV blocker.
    Regarding the VIN sticker, they DO NOT peel off no matter how careful you are. They are designed to de-laminate if tampered with, and will read VOIDVOIDVOID if you do. You would be better off cutting the plastic with the sticker intact, and glue the piece of old dash trim w/sticker onto the new one.
    Replacement VIN stickers are available from BMW, but it takes an act of congress (almost) and several months to get one. I did finally receive one, so it can be done.
    Good luck and do the job right!
    -Donny

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    What's under this trim piece on Roadys? Looking at several configurations of coupes and roadys on realoem, I couldn't find any coupes that had the piece, or any roadys without it. The parts diagram seems to show the same dash for each, with the only difference being that trim strip (at about $126) for roadsters.

Edit: I compared dash part numbers between coupes and roadsters. Most use the same dash part number (51458399909). I did randomly find another part number on some 3.0 roadsters, with some option codes listed with it (not extended leather, as that's a different part number). Having the same part number for the dash between roadys and coupes seems to say that the trim strip on roadys is just an overlay on top of the dash that typically isn't present on most coupes. It's still a mystery as to why. So...could roady owners just remove the trim screws, remove/break the trim piece out, insert screws directly into the dash holes, cover the screws, and live happily ever after?

Here's a pic of my coupe dash where this trim would be, through the windshield. Any chance that on a roadster with the strip removed the dash top looks like this also (excepting screw caps, of course)? On my coupe, it looks like some sort of trim strip would fit in there if desired, but there's no reason for it.
    Last edited by Kenn; 10-23-2012 at 04:23 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Just to add to the mystery, looking in through the windshield it appears my coupe has a separate trim panel, and the roadie does not!

/.randy

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    Part numbers for the trip and the caps?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8l
    Well the complete dash swap went much smother than I anticapted. It took only two hours from start to finish. Now with that said I'm sure it was much easier doing it with the window out. After looking at my dash closer on my 98 2.8 roady, the dash is one solid piece with the exception of the pods obviously. Not sure if there were different set ups, but if the dash cracked on mine the whole dash would need to be replaced as there is now seperate trim piece.

Here are some pics of the transformation...
    http://www.facebook.com/?sk=welcome#!/media/set/?set=a.104242719735762.9871.100004501029273&type=1

Quote Originally Posted by Pthurlow
    Well the complete dash swap went much smother than I anticapted. It took only two hours from start to finish. Now with that said I'm sure it was much easier doing it with the window out. After looking at my dash closer on my 98 2.8 roady, the dash is one solid piece with the exception of the pods obviously. Not sure if there were different set ups, but if the dash cracked on mine the whole dash would need to be replaced as there is now seperate trim piece.

Here are some pics of the transformation...
    http://www.facebook.com/?sk=welcome#...1029273&type=1
    Facebook photos.. What was I thinking...

Hope this works...

http://s1292.photobucket.com/albums/...w/Dash%20Swap/

Sorry for bogging down this thread. I am just trying to help
    Last edited by Pthurlow; 10-24-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster
    Not meaning to thread jump, but Pthurlow's Roady has tan & black seats. Never seen that combo before- must be a rare one. The extended leather dash looks great.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthurlow View Post
    Well the complete dash swap went much smother than I anticapted. It took only two hours from start to finish. Now with that said I'm sure it was much easier doing it with the window out...
    Maybe you could do a DIY step by step write up?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8l
    Follow this thread link. gibber66 did a fantastic write-up.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=922228

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast