Thread: wtf is my car's problem?

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.

wtf is my car's problem?

A little history of my car
    Ok here goes:
    Bought it CPOed until may 2005 from BMW of knoxville. Basically perfect condition. After about 2K miles (right about when it started getting cold outside, It was difficult to get it in (and sometimes out) of gear. Most of the problems were 1st, 2nd, and reverse. I took it to BMW of NAshville about 5 times complaing of this. THey did nothing. The whole time the car was getting harder to drive. I had to sit in gear at red lights jsut so I didnt hold up traffic trying to get it into first. Yes, it was that bad. Then, a knocking noise from the rear started to occur. It also got worse. (i ultimately figured out that it was the rear diff bolt. It gfave way a short time after that.

Had it towed to bmw of nashville. Diff bolt replaced with CPO warranty 50 deductible. It was still difficult to get it into gear though. A few weeks later, took it in again. No help for the 6th time! Finally, the diff bolt startes to act up again. After about 1k miles, the mother breaks again. HAve it towed to bmw of nashville. WHile it is in the parking lot "someone tries to steal my licenseplate frame" according to bmw and bends my frame and plate. not a big deal, just 40 bucks down the drain.

They diagnose it as a diff bolt. I tell them that the bolt cannot be the source of the problem, there has to be something causing it to break so often. After a week with no car, they call me back and say that they did, in fact, find something wrong with the tranny and the diff. A new diff and new tranny (possibly refurbished) were put into my car for another 50 dollar deductible. Car drove fine, but not great, for about 100 miles then it was hard to get in and out of gear again. It also makes a grinding noise from the rear (sounds like the diff area) when accelerating during a turn. (this happens with ASC on and off). My inspection II was coming up, so I figured I would drive out to BMW of chattanooga to have it done since bmw of nashville overcharges and doesnt know how to.

Get the inspection done and the car drives a hell of a lot better, but it is still a little rough to get it into 1st and reverse. It is startign to get worse and the grinding noise from the rear is really getting bad. What is going on here? THe car currently has 45,500 miles. I think the tranny and diff got replaced at 44,000. and 550 of those 1500 miles since the change were from the trip to get it serviced. WHAT IS MY CAR'S PROBLEM?

-Jon
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 07-12-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: profanity
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    btw, this REALLY sucks because i want to mod the damn car, but I'm so afraid that if I start adding stuff to it, BMW will not honor my CPO. If the car wasnt so damn problematic, I would have a Really Really fast car right now. I must have over 6 grand of mods sitting in my living room...
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    anyone?
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    Well, I can't tell you exactly what is wrong with your car. It obviously has a bad tranny, and the diff bolts keep snapping. The problem is that you are at the mercy of the CPO and therefore the dealership. I would say that you should take it in to them as many times as it takes. If they keep screwing you over then call or write BMW NA. Trust me, they will help you. Good luck!

- Pat

My Cars
    don't ask
    Could you take it to a good independent shop to have it checked out, and then take it back to the dealer to have what has been diagnosed to get fixed? Or does the CPO only apply to things that the dealership finds flawed with the car?
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    E39 M5
    You car may have more then one problem that will have to be tracked down and all problems isolated.

Have you checked and determined if you have a stock or aftermarket shifter that may be contributing to the tranny problem? Could be a shifter problem and a tranny problem.

I would suggest that you go to an independant BMW service shop for a 2nd opinion.

You might want to visit each local BMW dealer to determin if the car you have has been serviced at any of the local BMW dealers to review the service history?

Good luck!
    Cheers

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Other than what others have said, do you have a aftermarket clutch stop? Sometimes people tend to overlook this small piece... make sure its screwed down enough to allow the clutch to fully engage/disengage.