Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you switch from ODB to ADS for DIS and INPA?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    Figure it out? I still cant talk to E36 ABS/ASC. I can talk to EVERYTHING else though !
    Nope. I have to keep searching. The vendor hasn't gotten back to me either so I'm lost.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    Figure it out? I still cant talk to E36 ABS/ASC. I can talk to EVERYTHING else though !
    i have never been able to talk to that module either although i can in inpa v3

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I have no problem accessing the ABS on my E36 using either of Gerts ADS interfaces or my bmwecu.org Fister interface. As is written above, the Interface = *** line of EDIABAS.ini needs to be set to Interface = ADS and I need to run the ADS Setup from c:\EDIABAS\Hardware before starting DIS. When using my do-it auto version of the One Stop interface I found that if I did not configure the hardware properly (i.e. make sure that DIS and the IFHSrv32 were closed and that antivirus and firewalls were all closed before selecting ADS mode on the interface and starting the software, the interface tended to "stick" in OBD mode. If you have doubts, disconnect the interface from the car and computer, make the changes to EDIABAS.ini, run the hardware setup, then connect the interface, select ADS mode and start the software. One of the things I did not like about these interfaces was that the LEDS for ADS and OBD mode were not marked, so it is easy to confuse the two modes. I made sure that I correctly identified the appropriate modes in my writeup on the Do-it auto unit, which you can find here http://www.repairdynamics.com/do-it-...ace_review.pdf .

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    thats interesting,im using gerts cable in ads mode and it just leaves abs blank,i wonder what would cause that? my only other problem is in inpa v3 under dme there is an option to activate the vanos,i cant activate that however i can in dis. would it be down to missing files?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Jamie, as you know there can be issues with missing data for the M3 in INPA. My car is a 12/97 E36 328i Individual coupe and all modules can be read. Make sure you are selecting the correct ABS system - mine is a Teves ABS/ASC Mk4G1 from memory.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    ok,yes mine is a mk4g,which i can connect to fine with inpa,just not in dis v44 or v57,perhaps i should upgrade to a newer ediabas/inpa and try? trouble is i like the quick diagnostic check that inpa v3 has,this is missing in v5,is there a way of installing v5 and still retain that function?
    Last edited by jamie123; 10-26-2012 at 07:45 AM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    PM me

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    pm sent

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Guys, this has to be an interface problem. Plugged my 12/97 E36 in today using one of Gert's ADS interfaces and the car auto-detects in both DIS v44 and DIS v57 and communicates with the ABS/ASC module fine. I even tried switching the ignition off and starting a diagnostic so that I could choose the car manually and as per the auto detected test, I was able to communicate with the ABS/ASC module without issue. Jamie, it seems that you are manually detecting your car, did you try starting the engine before running the test or does DIS not auto-detect your M3? Also, have you tried choosing a later model variant in case the software has been dealer updated ( i.e. later than 03-1998)?
    Last edited by David Mc; 10-27-2012 at 10:06 AM.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Guys, this has to be an interface problem. Plugged my 12/97 E36 in today using one of Gert's ADS interfaces and the car auto-detects in both DIS v44 and DIS v57 and communicates with the ABS/ASC module fine. I even tried switching the ignition off and starting a diagnostic so that I could choose the car manually and as per the auto detected test, I was able to communicate with the ABS/ASC module without issue. Jamie, it seems that you are manually detecting your car, did you try starting the engine before running the test or does DIS not auto-detect your M3? Also, have you tried choosing a later model variant in case the software has been dealer updated ( i.e. later than 03-1998)?
    thats weird david,i always use auto detect with dis and it finds my model,vin etc with no problems,i will take a screen shot tomorrow of my dis quick test results,i always get no x or exclimation mark next to my ABS/ASC box so im thinking its not conecting to that module right? as i said before i can speak to it using inpa ok.

bingo! it works,what was confusing me was the fact that it was left out during a quick test,if i click on it i get this,

i then get access,

Last edited by jamie123; 10-28-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 530i
    I´ve got INPA v5.02 working with an OBD interface on my 2001 530i, and I want to use it with a TinyADS interface on my 1996 328i. I change the ediabas.ini file just like the OP did, and run the adssetup.exe, restarting my laptop after that, but when I run INPA all I get is a "CreateFile_Error" message just after INPA has opened, being inable to do anything. Any idea? Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12