Thread: How to: Remove Door Handle Mechanism

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320i

How to: Remove Door Handle Mechanism

Hi everyone. Here is a quick how-to thread on removing the door lock mechanism. It isn't especially hard. All that's needed are a few basic tools and a little patience. My door handle stopped working when the door was in the lock position (couldn't unlock it, couldn't pull the handles). Here's how I removed mine:

Step 1: Remove the door panel. Pop out the little screw covers on the door handle, window handle, etc with a small flat screwdriver and unscrew the hardware holding on the handles. Then work the panel off by gently inserting a flat screw driver between the panel and the door. I started at the lock side of the door near the bottom. You might break a few clips. These can be replaced if needed.

When it's done, it will look something like this:

Step 2: Remove the bolt for the window track. It's 10mm and located near the mechanism on a piece of metal holding the window track bracket in place.

Here's a picture of where the bolt goes (I have it all removed):

Step 3: Remove the track and the black box attached to it (which prevents access to the door lock mechanism). Start by removing the rubber strip the window uses and peel it off the metal track starting at the bottom and working your way up. With that completed, pull the outside handle up as if you are opening the door, and shimmy the track a little at the same time to remove it.

Here is what the rubber strip looks like:

Here is the removed metal track:

I went ahead and stuffed the rubber liner up in the door a bit so it wasn't in the way (without damaging it):

Step 4: Now you can begin removing the mechanism. First unscrew the 3 Phillips-head screws and 2 allen bolts. Here's where they are located:

Step 5: Now that the mechanism is loose, there are two rods to disconnect. Remove the connecting rod from the key tumbler to the mechanism first (labeled 1st in picture). Just pull straight back from the circlip on the mechanism and it will come free. You'll probably need a new circlip, as I did, but they are available here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...86&hg=41&fg=40 Now, the next part is up to you. I did NOT remove my tumbler and I did NOT bend the connecting rod from the inside door handle to the mechanism. I simply wiggled the left part of the mechanism in the picture free, then flexed the connecting rod to the inside handle and slipped it off the mechanism. From there I could wiggle it past the tumbler. If you can't do this, however, use needle nose pliers to bend the hook on the rod and just remove it that way.

Here are the two locations where rods must be removed:

Voila, the mechanism is removed:

Install in reverse order. The picture below shows the problem with mine. Somehow the third spring at the very top right of the mechanism snapped, and so if you pull the outside handle while the door is locked (say, you forgot you locked the door and tried it), it will jam the mechanism altogether... That's the broken piece sticking out:

And a view from the side:

Still trying to track down that spring... It's odd, and I can't seem to find it on RealOEM. Not a good sign. Might go to the local Pick-A-Part.

And as a bonus, I'm including a picture of my garage below. I know it's kinda weird, but I love seeing other people's garages, and thought maybe I'd share mine, humble though it is. But. . .it has everything needed to do a little fab, engine work, etc. And plenty of room when both cars are out for a single big project. Yes, I do wood working. And yes, that is a poker table from the 50s I'm restoring some weekend when time allows.

Last edited by zohanisback; 10-17-2012 at 11:24 PM.

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Nice write up.

Had the same thing happen to mine a few years ago. Couldn't find a spring, pulled a used unit from a salvage yard.

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    how much did they charge you for a used one ?

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320i
    I don't know how they are where you are, but around here, if you were to walk in and out with a spring at pick-a-part, it will be something like a dollar (you pay a $2 fee to get in whether or not you get something--yeah, it's a racket). So $3... If you get something else, say, a light assembly for $12, you could virtually walk out with a handful of screws, springs, spare bulbs, and other small hardware pieces for free... If the guys are real nice they'll take into account you paid two bucks and let you walk with a few small goodies without paying anymore.

I usually go for something like a light assembly and some trim pieces, then grab enough odds and ends for the interior which they give me for free to pay for the trip in odds and ends I would have had to buy online.

My Cars
    1978 320i
    poker table? I thought that was a Z car!
    Nice write. Perhaps a nice addition to our faq section?

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320i
    Haha, yes, that roughed up, blue hunk of metal is my second wife. Also known as the Datsun 260z. The poker table hanging from the ceiling...that's, er, a fun project me and some buddies can enjoy later on.

I'm not sure this is FAQ worthy, but hopefully some sound pointers to others who looked at the door and thought it was a dragon, when it was really a kitten... :P I'm not much for interior work.

My Cars
    BMW E12
    Quote Originally Posted by zohanisback View Post
    Hi everyone. Here is a quick how-to thread on removing the door lock mechanism. It isn't especially hard. All that's needed are a few basic tools and a little patience. My door handle stopped working when the door was in the lock position (couldn't unlock it, couldn't pull the handles). Here's how I removed mine:

Step 1: Remove the door panel. Pop out the little screw covers on the door handle, window handle, etc with a small flat screwdriver and unscrew the hardware holding on the handles. Then work the panel off by gently inserting a flat screw driver between the panel and the door. I started at the lock side of the door near the bottom. You might break a few clips. These can be replaced if needed.

Step 2: Remove the bolt for the window track. It's 10mm and located near the mechanism on a piece of metal holding the window track bracket in place.

Here's a picture of where the bolt goes (I have it all removed):

Step 3: Remove the track and the black box attached to it (which prevents access to the door lock mechanism). Start by removing the rubber strip the window uses and peel it off the metal track starting at the bottom and working your way up. With that completed, pull the outside handle up as if you are opening the door, and shimmy the track a little at the same time to remove it.

Here is what the rubber strip looks like:

Here is the removed metal track:

I went ahead and stuffed the rubber liner up in the door a bit so it wasn't in the way (without damaging it):

Step 4: Now you can begin removing the mechanism. First unscrew the 3 Phillips-head screws and 2 allen bolts. Here's where they are located:

Step 5: Now that the mechanism is loose, there are two rods to disconnect. Remove the connecting rod from the key tumbler to the mechanism first (labeled 1st in picture). Just pull straight back from the circlip on the mechanism and it will come free. You'll probably need a new circlip, as I did, but they are available here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...86&hg=41&fg=40 Now, the next part is up to you. I did NOT remove my tumbler and I did NOT bend the connecting rod from the inside door handle to the mechanism. I simply wiggled the left part of the mechanism in the picture free, then flexed the connecting rod to the inside handle and slipped it off the mechanism. From there I could wiggle it past the tumbler. If you can't do this, however, use needle nose pliers to bend the hook on the rod and just remove it that way.

Here are the two locations where rods must be removed:

Voila, the mechanism is removed:

Install in reverse order. The picture below shows the problem with mine. Somehow the third spring at the very top right of the mechanism snapped, and so if you pull the outside handle while the door is locked (say, you forgot you locked the door and tried it), it will jam the mechanism altogether... That's the broken piece sticking out:

And a view from the side:

Still trying to track down that spring... It's odd, and I can't seem to find it on RealOEM. Not a good sign. Might go to the local Pick-A-Part.

And as a bonus, I'm including a picture of my garage below. I know it's kinda weird, but I love seeing other people's garages, and thought maybe I'd share mine, humble though it is. But. . .it has everything needed to do a little fab, engine work, etc. And plenty of room when both cars are out for a single big project. Yes, I do wood working. And yes, that is a poker table from the 50s I'm restoring some weekend when time allows.

Hi thanks for the thread, I have the exact same problem, did you manage to get another spring or find a way to bypass the lock from jamming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320is & 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by zohanisback View Post

(snip)
    Did anyone happen to save the pictures zohanisback posted in his how-to guide above? My 320is driver's side door lock mechanism has failed and if the weather breaks on a day off I'm going to attempt to fix it, because I'm too old to be climbing over the gear shift and emergency brake handle to get in. Or perhaps someone knows how to find zohanisback's pictures on Photobucket? I'm mechanically disinclined and need all the help I can get ... if there were a "E21 Chilton's Manual for Dummies" I'd be all over it.

My Cars
    E21 320i, E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardenclyffe View Post
    Did anyone happen to save the pictures zohanisback posted in his how-to guide above? My 320is driver's side door lock mechanism has failed and if the weather breaks on a day off I'm going to attempt to fix it, because I'm too old to be climbing over the gear shift and emergency brake handle to get in. Or perhaps someone knows how to find zohanisback's pictures on Photobucket? I'm mechanically disinclined and need all the help I can get ... if there were a "E21 Chilton's Manual for Dummies" I'd be all over it.
    Install this plugin for your browser:

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg
    Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...hotobucket-fix
    '81 E21 320i / '90 E30 325i / '̶9̶2̶ ̶E̶3̶4̶ ̶5̶2̶5̶i̶t (sold) / '15 Toyota XW30 / '̶̶8̶0̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶ ̶3̶2̶0̶i̶A̶ (sold)

My Cars
    1978 323i
    These write ups worked well for me:

Door panel removal:

http://todor.info/repair/e21doorpanel.html

Door lock removal:

http://todor.info/repair/e21doorlock.html

Lock cylinder rebuild:

http://todor.info/repair/e21lockrebuild.html

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320is & 323i
    I also PM'd zohan after posting last night and he replied earlier today with a link to his gallery on Photobucket. These pics, plus cgifool's links and the links to the browser plug-ins, are a godsend. THANK YOU ALL!

My Cars
    E21, E34, E39, POS2015VW
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardenclyffe View Post
    Haha the Chilton's manual covers all 3-series and 5-series for like 25 years. The Insane Haynes is useless, of course.
    I've emailed you the section on locks and doors from the factory service manual.