Thread: I keep getting a door open warning while driving.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 740il

I keep getting a door open warning while driving.

Like the title states I keep getting this warning in my 99' 740il. It seems to turn off when I'm coming to a stop and then back on when I drive off. It doesn't do it every time. I think it is probably a loose wire somewhere. I opened all the doors individually and only the rear driver's side door doesn't cause the interior lights to turn on. I took off the door panel and checked all the wires and plugs. None of them are loose or cut. Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance for any help.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Wires might be frayed where they enter the door from flexing. Might also be a bad door switch.

My Cars
    yes, I have cars
    Trunk?
    Randy V.
    San Diego, CA
    '98 740iL (Black/Tan/NAV-TV & all the gadgets)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by randy v View Post
    trunk?
    |
    |
    \/
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000740 View Post
    ...only the rear driver's side door doesn't cause the interior lights to turn on.
    Last edited by 7thDimension; 10-11-2012 at 07:16 PM.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thDimension
    Wires might be frayed where they enter the door from flexing. Might also be a bad door switch.
    I will have to check those. I only checked the wires in the door. None of the wires seemed brittle so I doubt they cracked from flexing. I would be happy if they did though because I would at least find the problem.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740il
    I had this happen to my passenger door the lock clasp was sticking when it was cold so I just sprayed it out with wd-40 and lubed it with lithium grease and the problem went away

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Also had the same issue. Replaced the front passenger lock mechanism cause was having lock issues and it cured the door open warning. I think one of your door locks is not working correctly.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    2000 bmw 740il
    I will clean and lube the door locks tomorrow then. Did you guys have problems unlocking or opening the passenger side door? All the doors open and lock/ unlock as they should.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000740
    I will clean and lube the door locks tomorrow then. Did you guys have problems unlocking or opening the passenger side door? All the doors open and lock/ unlock as they should.
    Mine operated a bit slow. I believe the failure was an internal electrical failure or short. it was not related to the lock actuator. If cleaning does not work you can buy another used one on eBay for less than $50

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    07 MCS

Door Open warning and I have exhausted my troubleshooting. Please help.

First off a big shout out to everyone here on the forum. I had a persistent Aux fan problem on my 2001 740i that within posting my problem and history, I had a solution in about an hour. Thanks!

The last of the gremlins living in my 7 is the dreaded "Door Open" error in the dash. I have tried to chase this down for months and finally gave up. It is starting to really bother me now as I had lost a key that I had to replace and due to the error I can't code/sync the key. So here is what I have done and all of the symptoms. Any help would be most appreciated.

Educated Guess:
    I will start off by saying that there was a repair to the driver's door, which is the door I beleive to be the culprit of the error. I am not sure how to inspect the harness from the door leading into the car, but this is my guess what might be the problem.

What I have done so far:
    I have tried the WD40 trick and soaked the lock/latch assembly and that did not help. I also replaced the entire assembly with a used one from eBay. The used assembly appeared to be clean and in good working order. Suspecting the micro-switch, I inspected both when I had the old one out and they both appeared to be working. No luck so far.

Hints:
    I noticed that although the safety light works on the driver's door, it does not come on until another door is open. The driver's door window "auto" function does work.

Any help would be much apprecated! (Is it possible to bypass the loop at the Driver's door? If so, I might consider doing that at this point in time.)

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Inpa or dis should be able to give you more clues

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I don't think I have a picture of the drivers side but you are looking for a rubber boot. Look at the far right on this picture. It's the wiring boot going into the passenger door. You want to pull it out and check for frayed wires.

Make sure your door contact connector is plugged in:

My Cars
    07 MCS
    Other than a simple OBD II to clear some codes, I have not used anything else for diagnostics. Can you recommend a solution? Also, what would the procedure be for trying to track down the culprit when I do have one?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mayorchuck. I will check the harness tonight.

My Cars
    07 MCS
    I finally tracked down the problem and fixed the Door Open problem after chasing this down for about a year. Once I saw a wiring diagram and noticed the the master window switch (Driver Side) had two boards in it, it was obvious that the assembly could be the cause of the error. It is hard to beleive, but my neighbor that owns a 1999 540i just happened to have a new switch and when we plugged it it it fixed the problems.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740 IL

01 740

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjonas View Post
    I finally tracked down the problem and fixed the Door Open problem after chasing this down for about a year. Once I saw a wiring diagram and noticed the the master window switch (Driver Side) had two boards in it, it was obvious that the assembly could be the cause of the error. It is hard to beleive, but my neighbor that owns a 1999 540i just happened to have a new switch and when we plugged it it it fixed the problems.
    I have another master switch I'll try that tomorrow. Im so frustrated with this issue. I did discover that the latch itself has a little square tab less than a 1/4 inch big located below the micro-switch that pushes on the switch to tell the car it is open or closed and the tab on mine had no tension so it could never push against the micro switch. I could take a little pick and just move it at will so that was problem #1. Picked one up at the local yard but still the open message. Im loosing my mind so Im glad I saw your message.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjonas View Post

Just got done changing the master switch. I didn't realize that about 6 months ago I had changed the switch but I didn't use the correct one because mine has the folding mirrors which has the added button and that alone was causing the "Door Open" light to not go away. Thank you for the tip!!