Page 73 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2348636465666768697071727374757677787980 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1976

Thread: Forced Induction Section Fabrication Thread

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure the alloy in the oil pan is 70% aluminum and 30% dirt.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    y pedal is broken so I have to use fixed amperage with a finger switch which makes aluminum quite interesting. You have to control penetration with speed and when things get too hot you just have to stop and let it stabilize. Also I'm pretty sure the alloy in the oil pan is 70% aluminum and 30% dirt.

That's some badass aluminum welding for a finger switch. I pedal a TON when I'm welding aluminum, so welding some old, oil and dirt soaked casting with a finger switch is impressive to say the least!

My Cars
    86 325es
    It's a good thing you didn't get a closer look lol. I never use the pedal for anything except aluminum so I'm pretty used to it. I love the finger switch for steel and stainless.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    98 m3

Forced Induction Section Fabrication Thread

I cut up an intake manifold last night and was going to measure it with the cmm and have some flanges machined.. i have been wanting to draw up some new parts and saw the spare manifold last night.

Anybody have any input on something they are looking for?

Im planning on taking them up and including the injector bung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I might be interested in one of those flanges if I can swing it. I'm guessing you're thinking of making something like those ones PPF has?

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    I might be interested in one of those flanges if I can swing it. I'm guessing you're thinking of making something like those ones PPF has?
    Just searched it.. exactly what i was thinking. Hrm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Winter projects already started. Making gearbox coolers (diff and trans). Will go behind the license plate opening mesh with a fan.

YePLSj0.jpg

My Cars
    BMWs
    What cores are you using there?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    What cores are you using there?
    Vibrant

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Those look awesome! Way better than the junk I mentioned....

What's up with the Heart?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Those look awesome! Way better than the junk I mentioned....

What's up with the Heart?
    Go wash your mouth with soap before the Setrab angels cast unspeakable horrors on you.

That was back when I was still learning initially, I had some scraps left after I made my squat cage and I wanted to practice TIG brazing with silicon bronze. A lot more annoying than I expected. But it turned out to be a pretty practical prop.

7VLrFao.jpg

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Done the cooler setup, just need to mount the fan, mount it in the trunk and plumb it with the pump. Jon, FYI I looked up the p/n of the cores I got, they're 4x10x2

gloJT48.jpg

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Any worry about fluid levels with long hose/tubing runs and the cooler being higher than both sumps? Maybe put a sightglass in each to make sure you can see the level with the pump running?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Not really, just need to make sure you put in enough fluid to fill the gearbox, lines and cooler. As with drysump, after shutdown, the gearboxes will overfill but once you're moving again next time it quickly normalizes. But I might add checkvalves to the pump outlets. EDIT: just checked and the Tilton pump actually has a checkvalve, will need to check with GForce if their mechanical pump needs one.
    Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 10-16-2017 at 09:38 AM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    This will probably be gay to you guys, but making a 3d aluminium cross as a present. Quick project, my wife is mad about the amount of ashtrays I'm making.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    99' 323is, 99' 328is
    I played with aluminum this weekend for the first time and I am having a heck of a time. I am laying beads down just fine but as soon as I try a butt weld it all turns to crap. Joining two pieces is proving difficult, I was burning holes and making a mess, I turn down the amps and it seems to not want to make a puddle so I press a bit more on the pedal and starting making holes or big pregnant weld blobs. More practice is needed. Settings are 45 amps, 3/32 filler, 110 hz, 3/32 tungsten, and 35 on the ac balance I believe. I would post pics but I fail at that also Do these setting sound close for intercooler piping?

She's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    With aluminum I find that in most situations you have to add filler to tack. Sometimes if your fitup is super tight you can get fusion, but then the tack will normally crack as it cools. Use the cleaning action for a few seconds around the area you're going to tack across, and only when the parent metal gets shiny, throw in some heat and stab in filler.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    What's your torch setup there? A 9 or 20?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by JimsR View Post
    I played with aluminum this weekend for the first time and I am having a heck of a time. I am laying beads down just fine but as soon as I try a butt weld it all turns to crap. Joining two pieces is proving difficult, I was burning holes and making a mess, I turn down the amps and it seems to not want to make a puddle so I press a bit more on the pedal and starting making holes or big pregnant weld blobs. More practice is needed. Settings are 45 amps, 3/32 filler, 110 hz, 3/32 tungsten, and 35 on the ac balance I believe. I would post pics but I fail at that also Do these setting sound close for intercooler piping?
    When you're first starting out, set the pedal to a lot more than you need then once you get to know different materials and your machine, you'll sort of figure out by feel how much pedal you were using with the amperage you set and dial it back proportionally next time. 45 sounds low, that would be good for .045 steel but even for 0.045 aluminum that won't be enough, especially with that much EP. And if the tubing is really that thin, 3/32 is too much filler and depending on your machine, 3/32 tungsten might be fine but some machines would struggle having a steady arc on such low amperage with 3/32 (but that's fine tuning).

Post details about your tubing. Are you practicing butt welds on plate or did you go straight to the tubing? Tubing welding isn't very hard but it has particular concerns which you don't want to worry about for your first time (namely, you HAVE to be conscious about changing your torch angle with almost every single dip otherwise your torch angle will very quickly become hopeless.

First off, be patient. Aluminum is a heat gobbler and it will take a while before it's happy. For some joints, especially with thicker metal and if you have good fitup, it's best to hit it hard and heavy for a tack weld without filler - set the amps to 50-100% more than you need, get the tungsten super tight (good technique is to actually touch the joint and pull back ever so slightly before you hit it) and give it full jam. It will make a quick autogenous tack without affecting the rest of the piece. This isn't a good idea for thin wall butt joints because you're almost definitely going to blow a hole. You can do autogenous tacks on thin butt welds but it takes a lot of practice. You will learn that as you patiently and slowly build the amps and the edges start melting, if you have no gap, you can wiggle the tungsten back and forth and it will wash the metal around until it joins. This one took me a while to get good at.

The easiest way to get started is to just lay the rod right on the joint, and light up on it. Hit it hard with some amps and it'll wet into the two sides. It's also a good technique for tack welding things with a gap - otherwise you have to build up the edges and it results in a larger tack.

How is your steel game? The main problem with aluminum is it's pretty unforgiving. The same things that you can sorta get away with with steel, like less than ideal torch angle or arc length, you can't with aluminum, not without having it look like shit at best.
    Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 10-16-2017 at 11:58 AM.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by JimsR View Post
    Sounds like maybe not enough max amps, and too much arc length. Aluminum needs a GREAT fitup, you cannot tolerate gaps if your process is off at all. Also, it doesn't like hanging out and building up heat with too low of amperage, you need to let it stabilize at say 50% amps for a second or two and break up the oxide layer, then as soon as you start to get things cleaned off, give it some pedal and dab in filler then motor out. You cannot hang around if you want to like on steel.

Tight arc length, get the puddle started and do the filler/motor out routine and you'll be good with a SOLID fitup. Gaps and stuff will just keyhole out.

Your intercooler piping is probably 1/16" (0.063") wall thickness, so you probably need more like 50-60 amps average for a butt weld. I'd set the machine to about 75 amps and use the foot pedal and see how it feels. You will be using near full pedal towards the beginning, more like half to 2/3rds pedal for the middle/end of the joint. Don't be afraid to let things cool for a few minutes while you're starting either. You'll probably move too slow and put too much heat into things, so letting the joint rest a bit and cool off will help you. The bead will start to look grainy and the puddle flowing like water when you get things too hot.

My Cars
    99' 323is, 99' 328is
    Thanks guys. The advise is making sense in my head, I will give it another go and hopefully I can get some functional pieces even if they are not pretty.

She's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Sounds like maybe not enough max amps, and too much arc length. Aluminum needs a GREAT fitup, you cannot tolerate gaps if your process is off at all. Also, it doesn't like hanging out and building up heat with too low of amperage, you need to let it stabilize at say 50% amps for a second or two and break up the oxide layer, then as soon as you start to get things cleaned off, give it some pedal and dab in filler then motor out. You cannot hang around if you want to like on steel.

Tight arc length, get the puddle started and do the filler/motor out routine and you'll be good with a SOLID fitup. Gaps and stuff will just keyhole out.

Your intercooler piping is probably 1/16" (0.063") wall thickness, so you probably need more like 50-60 amps average for a butt weld. I'd set the machine to about 75 amps and use the foot pedal and see how it feels. You will be using near full pedal towards the beginning, more like half to 2/3rds pedal for the middle/end of the joint. Don't be afraid to let things cool for a few minutes while you're starting either. You'll probably move too slow and put too much heat into things, so letting the joint rest a bit and cool off will help you. The bead will start to look grainy and the puddle flowing like water when you get things too hot.
    You seem very knowledgeable on this subject. You got any examples of your own stuff to show?

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post
    You seem very knowledgeable on this subject. You got any examples of your own stuff to show?
    I'm just a hobby welder, nothing special. But I do at least know the basics because it wasn't all that long ago I went through the same thing.

I actually still feel aluminum is easier because that's what I mostly did for my early projects. Mild steel is pretty easy, but stainless is a PITA on many different levels if you don't have a good backpurge setup.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

Page 73 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2348636465666768697071727374757677787980 LastLast