Page 54 of 80 FirstFirst ... 42944454647484950515253545556575859606162636479 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1976

Thread: Forced Induction Section Fabrication Thread

My Cars
    03 M3,Turbo E36 M3, D675
    Just rent a bottle from your local weld shop, mine is 9 cents a day for a 125 argon bottle, totally worth it

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
    Regarding the 125 being "better" for auto work... I don't have experience with either, but keep in mind that wire diameter can also affect the power. I think if you found yourself between settings, you could try going to the other size.
    They both had 0.023-0.024" wire, which is all I'd recommend for either machine. It perfectly matches its capabilities, and provides good low end control.

It makes more sense if you look at the output charts for both welders and see where the 125's 1 and 2 taps split the 1-3 taps of the 140. I always felt like the 125 was closer to where I'd actually want to set the machine for anything on a car, but the 140 was always in between settings. Not a big difference, but that was my feeling behind the gun.

FWIW, the 125 only needs a gas regulator - not sure how that adds up to $130. I think I bought one for $35 or so? It was a while ago, but I can't see them being much past $40-50 for an entry level regulator.

For the guys saying get a TIG - the other stuff I have for TIG welding is pretty pricey too. Lots of rod, new torches, etc. etc.

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    They both had 0.023-0.024" wire, which is all I'd recommend for either machine. It perfectly matches its capabilities, and provides good low end control.

It makes more sense if you look at the output charts for both welders and see where the 125's 1 and 2 taps split the 1-3 taps of the 140. I always felt like the 125 was closer to where I'd actually want to set the machine for anything on a car, but the 140 was always in between settings. Not a big difference, but that was my feeling behind the gun.

FWIW, the 125 only needs a gas regulator - not sure how that adds up to $130. I think I bought one for $35 or so? It was a while ago, but I can't see them being much past $40-50 for an entry level regulator.

For the guys saying get a TIG - the other stuff I have for TIG welding is pretty pricey too. Lots of rod, new torches, etc. etc.
    Thanks for the advice and the tips. I was looking at the hobart regulator ($75), the 8" hub ($15), and then hose for the gas so it was getting very close to the price of the 140. I could probably do some better shopping, but I have no idea what I'm looking at so I figured buying hobart brand parts was safe. I'll give the 140 a shot and see how it feels. If I don't like it I can always return it. Amazon is good for that, and then I'll just go with the 125.

'96 328iC, '96 328i, '89 s52 swapped 325i
    Shadetree30

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I'm sure you'll like it. Both the 125 and 140 have a nice smooth arc. I like them much more than the Lincolns I've used for instance.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    I never understood why more people dont pick up the hobart stuff. I picked up a refurbished (from Hobart 220 or 240) 10 years ago 375 bucks. great mig!

My Cars
    1994 840ci,'97 M3
    Just picked this up for a deecent deal cant wait to start welding!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Great old school welder. What's your first project?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1994 840ci,'97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Great old school welder. What's your first project?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    I need to make some brackets for the ams solenoids on my car and the 840 needs a catch can holder made up. But first practice

My Cars
    turbo e36 M3
    I was not aware of this thread till now, so here's some of my recent work.

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    nice

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Very nice! Good to see someone who uses back purging.

Quick question for you guys... I'm looking to pick up a TIG this winter and I've held off until I can afford a Miller. Right now I'm set on the Diversion 180. Not that I can afford it but I could be talked into a Dynasty 200. Can you guys give me an Idiot's guide to deciding between the two? What practical benefit do you gain from the Dynasty? EG I get that it's more flexible but specifically, what can I do with it that I can't do with the Diversion? I like the range as 1/4" aluminum is definitely on the plate for me, and it seems the Dynasty can go thinner too. The size of the powersupply is pretty mindblowing too.

My Cars
    turbo e36 M3
    If you plan on tig welding pretty regularly, and would like to upgrade later down the road, id stay away from the diversion. it is very limited on what it can do, and you can not upgrade the leads or torch on it if i remember correctly. i bought the new syncrowave 210, its pretty affordable and still a inverter based welder which is pretty nice. You can also buy expensions for it to add more features if you would like, its all digital and pretty easy to opperate. The 210 will do just about anything that we would use it for on our cars

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i
    I use a wp9fx on my diversion. But yes it's not a quick disconnect or anything.

But honestly it will do absolutely everything you want on a car and more and with very very little head scratching or learning needed. Setup is dead simple. Anyone can use it.

Downside if you are trying to be a professional tig guy, I would want something more versatile.

Also millers sell for about 80% retail used.

Hey e30 dude. Do you actually enjoy the benefits of a Pyrex lens? I do a lot of stainless work and a simple gas lens has done wonders for me. The price on the Pyrex setup is why I don't have one yet.

What's your torch setup?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by derrty30 View Post
    If you plan on tig welding pretty regularly, and would like to upgrade later down the road, id stay away from the diversion. it is very limited on what it can do, and you can not upgrade the leads or torch on it if i remember correctly. i bought the new syncrowave 210, its pretty affordable and still a inverter based welder which is pretty nice. You can also buy expensions for it to add more features if you would like, its all digital and pretty easy to opperate. The 210 will do just about anything that we would use it for on our cars
    You can absolutely upgrade the hose and torch. I run a weldcraft ultra flex hose and WP-9 flex torch on mine for stainless.

Don't totally agree with your recommendation of the Sync 210 vs Diversion 180. Sure it can do a couple more amps but I have yet to weld anything at 180A. But, also, if you look at the duty cycle ratings:

Sync 210: DC 125 Amps at 15 V, 60% Duty Cycle AC 114 Amps at 14.6 V, 60% Duty Cycle
    Diversion 180: DC 150 Amps at 16 VDC, 20% duty cycle (230V input) AC 125 Amps at 12.4 VDC, 35% duty cycle (115V input)

I don't think its an accident that they published the Sync 210 at lower amps but higher DC than the Diversion. There may be a DC chart and maybe the Sync 210 is better than the Diversion at 125A also, but 60% at 125A vs 20% @ 150A makes me wonder if they're pretty similar when compared 1:1. The Sync is $2700 - $2800 and the Diversion $1500 - $1800. I've yet to find a short coming with my Diversion 180 and automotive stuff. Personally, I think the DC argument is moot on cars because we're usually welding 0.065" tube or maybe Schedule 10, but it's unlikely that you're welding at 150A for 2 minutes concurrent on a vehicle. It has literally not posed any issue yet.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i
    Ive tried to weld a super thick intake manifold as fast as possible just to reach duty cycle limits and I have yet to get it too hot. My hand though, holy Jesus.

Don't need any more amps. It needs a watercooler.

On thing to add. It's small man! Best thing ever. Especially 110/220 capable.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yeah you can't hold the torch well before the machines out of DC lol

My Cars
    turbo e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    You can absolutely upgrade the hose and torch. I run a weldcraft ultra flex hose and WP-9 flex torch on mine for stainless.

Don't totally agree with your recommendation of the Sync 210 vs Diversion 180. Sure it can do a couple more amps but I have yet to weld anything at 180A. But, also, if you look at the duty cycle ratings:

Sync 210: DC 125 Amps at 15 V, 60% Duty Cycle AC 114 Amps at 14.6 V, 60% Duty Cycle
    Diversion 180: DC 150 Amps at 16 VDC, 20% duty cycle (230V input) AC 125 Amps at 12.4 VDC, 35% duty cycle (115V input)

I don't think its an accident that they published the Sync 210 at lower amps but higher DC than the Diversion. There may be a DC chart and maybe the Sync 210 is better than the Diversion at 125A also, but 60% at 125A vs 20% @ 150A makes me wonder if they're pretty similar when compared 1:1. The Sync is $2700 - $2800 and the Diversion $1500 - $1800. I've yet to find a short coming with my Diversion 180 and automotive stuff. Personally, I think the DC argument is moot on cars because we're usually welding 0.065" tube or maybe Schedule 10, but it's unlikely that you're welding at 150A for 2 minutes concurrent on a vehicle. It has literally not posed any issue yet.
    I use mine at 185amps all the time, usually when I'm building intercoolers. I've even cranked it to 210 doing rim repairs. Biggest thing between the 2 is that the syncrowave is a inverter. Don't thing the diversion is a inverter. Recently bought a water cooler and that makes the world of difference

My Cars
    BMWs
    I use mine at 185amps all the time, usually when I'm building intercoolers. I've even cranked it to 210 doing rim repairs. Biggest thing between the 2 is that the syncrowave is a inverter. Don't thing the diversion is a inverter. Recently bought a water cooler and that makes the world of difference
    Diversion is an inverter - I welded a cracked aluminum rim with mine as well after using a die grinder with a carbide and then preheating with a torch

So yeah the Sync doesn't offer a whole lot over the Diversion but is $1k more off the bat.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 07-27-2015 at 02:58 PM.

My Cars
    turbo e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rowleym View Post
    I use a wp9fx on my diversion. But yes it's not a quick disconnect or anything.

But honestly it will do absolutely everything you want on a car and more and with very very little head scratching or learning needed. Setup is dead simple. Anyone can use it.

Downside if you are trying to be a professional tig guy, I would want something more versatile.

Also millers sell for about 80% retail used.

Hey e30 dude. Do you actually enjoy the benefits of a Pyrex lens? I do a lot of stainless work and a simple gas lens has done wonders for me. The price on the Pyrex setup is why I don't have one yet.

What's your torch setup?
    ive been using the "Fupa" cup from dog fab for a while. But broke it. Decided to buy a toxic cup and try it out. It is pretty amazing what that cup can do. Really helps out with stick out when I'm doing manifolds

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Diversion is an inverter - I welded a cracked aluminum rim with mine as well after using a die grinder with a carbide and then preheating with a torch

So yeah the Sync doesn't offer a whole lot over the Diversion but is $1k more off the bat.
    Do you know why it's so much bigger than the Dynasty?

My Cars
    turbo e36 M3

You are right, didnt think it was an inverter as well. I will disagree that it doesnt offer a whole lot over the diversion. the syncrowave can adjust post flow, diversion uses a auto setting based on amps, syncrowave can do pulse, diversion cannot, syncrowave can adjust frequency, which is big on aluminum, diversion can not. the syncrowave has a lot more features and easier to upgrade to different cables and even the wireless foot pedal if you plan on doing all that. Im not saying its better than the diversion, some people will use the features, like myself, and some people wont. just depends on what you want to do

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Do you know why it's so much bigger than the Dynasty?
    on the syncrowave, half of the welder is a storage compartment.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    on the syncrowave, half of the welder is a storage compartment.
    Sorry no, the Diversion is so much bigger than Dynasty while being weaker. I always thought this is because Diversion is not an inverter.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Sorry no, the Diversion is so much bigger than Dynasty while being weaker. I always thought this is because Diversion is not an inverter.
    They're both inverters. Dynasty is the "portable" welder.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i
    Portable? How much more portable do you need than the diversion? Lol. It fits in the e30 trunk just fine and I can carry it by myself no problem. I think around 50lbs?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by rowleym View Post
    Portable? How much more portable do you need than the diversion? Lol. It fits in the e30 trunk just fine and I can carry it by myself no problem. I think around 50lbs?
    Plus unless you're stick welding, you need a bottle anyway, so the portability is kinda silly. But I wonder why the Diversion has to be so much bigger.

Page 54 of 80 FirstFirst ... 42944454647484950515253545556575859606162636479 ... LastLast