Page 29 of 80 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829303132333435363738395479 ... LastLast

Thread: Forced Induction Section Fabrication Thread

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Holy Sh*t that thing is sick

Now someone just has to convince Garrett to offer vband housing for GT40's

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I think I need a winter house in Florida..

My Cars
    85 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by m3mods View Post
    Holy Sh*t that thing is sick

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I think I need a winter house in Florida..
    South Florida rocks dude..!!

Go ahead and creep this, I dare ya...!!
    Last edited by good & tight; 02-15-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    E36
    God damn that manifold is beautiful

My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Quote Originally Posted by good & tight View Post
    Go ahead and creep this, I dare ya...!![/URL]
    Oh god that wg flow is perfect!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm tempted to ditch the gt40 just to use this thing!

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i

1/8" viton o rings. They actually measured .139

Bored this 4 times to get the perfect fit... They are perfectly snug.

Surge tank. Twin Bosch 044's feeding twin -8 to each side of the rail. Ended up to be about .650 thick after I milled it flat to clean it up. 5.5" diameter t6 6061 that fits inside the 6" diameter tube I got. I'll weld the top on, and I'm making a plate to fit on and sandwich the o rings and around the pumps.

Constructive criticism would be rad!

My Cars
    E36
    Looks great man! The surge tanks that we use here, are set up to use external inline pumps so it's cool to see it with dual in tanks. It's probably a hell of a lot quieter, 2 044's or a weldon pump is crazy for a non race car.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaze View Post
    Looks great man! The surge tanks that we use here, are set up to use external inline pumps so it's cool to see it with dual in tanks. It's probably a hell of a lot quieter, 2 044's or a weldon pump is crazy for a non race car.
    Yea they are normal bosch 044 in lines, but half submerged I thought it was a simple setup this way, less lines! The goal was to make it quieter and a smaller package.

Any idea what length I should make it? I'm not sure what volume I need...

I'm using e85 and e98 with this setup. Motor is not built yet, but I'm running megasquirt 3 and I'm just using a stock m50 vanos to get all the bugs worked out! Building an m52 but finishing the chassis first.

This is a pure race car. Not much for legal. Everything but the windscreen is poly carbonate.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    South Florida rocks dude..!! Go ahead and creep this, I dare ya...!!
    Central Florida here. had no idea you were down there, cool. the only issue with Florida is being in the garage in the summer. flip flops are like wool socks.

My Cars
    85 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by rowleym View Post
    Yea they are normal bosch 044 in lines, but half submerged I thought it was a simple setup this way, less lines! The goal was to make it quieter and a smaller package.

Any idea what length I should make it? I'm not sure what volume I need...

I'm using e85 and e98 with this setup. Motor is not built yet, but I'm running megasquirt 3 and I'm just using a stock m50 vanos to get all the bugs worked out! Building an m52 but finishing the chassis first.

This is a pure race car. Not much for legal. Everything but the windscreen is poly carbonate.
    Wow, that's a nice setup. Daul 044's are capable of over 1000hp worth of fuel.
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i
    Wow, that's a nice setup. Daul 044's are capable of over 1000hp worth of fuel.
    That's the hope! I figured if I'm building my fuel setup, why not build it once.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by rowleym View Post
    1/8" viton o rings. They actually measured .139

Bored this 4 times to get the perfect fit... They are perfectly snug.

Surge tank. Twin Bosch 044's feeding twin -8 to each side of the rail. Ended up to be about .650 thick after I milled it flat to clean it up. 5.5" diameter t6 6061 that fits inside the 6" diameter tube I got. I'll weld the top on, and I'm making a plate to fit on and sandwich the o rings and around the pumps.

Constructive criticism would be rad!
    Im currently erect. Is that constructive? What would you want for something like this?
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Im currently erect. Is that constructive? What would you want for something like this?

It is a very nice piece!

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by ak5 View Post
    Guess who picked up a TIG welder couple weeks ago...

This guy.

Eastwood Pro TIG 200
    Let us know how you like it. I keep thinking about one. I'd prefer a Diversion, but for a hobbist I think the Eastwood machine could be just fine for my needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Otis, I love the manifold man. Vband is the future for sure! No gaskets, no leaks, easyo to install/remove, looks pimp!

Quote Originally Posted by m3mods View Post
    I'm pretty baffled no one really supports the GT40 line. GT40s don't even have an open scroll housing option! I guess people feel the GT35 is a great street/track turbo and people just go GT42+ for drag racing. The GT40 seems to be a great fit for the M5x engines though and its a bummer there are not more housing choices to go with them!
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    I'm pretty baffled no one really supports the GT40 line. GT40s don't even have an open scroll housing option! I guess people feel the GT35 is a great street/track turbo and people just go GT42+ for drag racing. The GT40 seems to be a great fit for the M5x engines though and its a bummer there are not more housing choices to go with them!
    I know! this is really the only thing keeping me from getting this manifold.. I know the 6466 is offered with a .82 vband housing, anyone know of any other vband options similar to the 6466 and gt40 that I may be overlooking?
    Last edited by m3mods; 02-16-2014 at 10:56 PM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i
    [QUOTE=wazzu70;27356768]Let us know how you like it. I keep thinking about one. I'd prefer a Diversion, but for a hobbist I think the Eastwood machine could be just fine for my needs.

- - - Updated - - -

I just recently purchased a brand new diversion 180! Its my first tig machine, but being local to miller, I needed it....

http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-...FQtgMgodu2QAoA

edit: just noticed I could have gotten the same machine from eastwood... and I paid over 2k for a Diversion.
    Last edited by rowleym; 02-17-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I would not call the Eastwood at all the same machine as the Diversion. Not even close. I'd say you made a good call. The only real negative of the Diversion is the low duty cycle when cranked up and the little bit of a pain it is to upgrade parts like the torch.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i

LOL. No clue. Skipped this comment on accident! Would you guys really be interested in a surge tank for the e36 chassis? I bet we could find a great place for it, and incorporate it into the stock fuel system, so you would only have to run feed and return lines to the surge tank!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    I would not call the Eastwood at all the same machine as the Diversion. Not even close. I'd say you made a good call. The only real negative of the Diversion is the low duty cycle when cranked up and the little bit of a pain it is to upgrade parts like the torch.
    Thank god I have a syncrowave 350 at work! Watercooled and pulse But thanks for input though, glad I made the right decision. Its really for manifold and charge piping. low duty cycle stuff. WOrks great on alum!

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Yea, for hobby work the Diversion is great since if you're really running into duty cycle limitations you can always take a break and go grab a beer to let the welder cool off. I almost pulled the trigger on a Diversion as well, but got a Thermal Arc 186 to get a bit more headroom and some features like pulse.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    I know right?

It is a gigantic "WTF?"

You'd think that the Supra crowd would love the GT40 line. Any inline-6...heck the older Skyline peeps as well. There is no logic I tell ya.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    BMWs
    Wasn't the GT40 originally derived from diesel truck parts?

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Aren't also the totally awesome BWs that everyone froths over but they are too big and heavy for most of our setups?

- - - Updated - - -

South Florida rocks dude..!!

Go ahead and creep this, I dare ya...!!
    You put on the hoodie, brought 3 Espresso makers into the shop and disappeared until this was created or what?

Dual 3-1 collectors to 2-1 to a big single with large WG dump going in the direction of flow to a V-band?

FOCKING SICK SICK SICK FLOW DESIGN BUDDY! HOME FOCKING RUN!
    Last edited by highboostingm3; 02-18-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    I think you can use just about any Garrett turbo in that comment. Almost every turbo we have had available for the last few decades does actually.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    +1

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    +1

+ 3

can you make something semi custom?

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    I think you can use just about any Garrett turbo in that comment. Almost every turbo we have had available for the last few decades does actually.
    HeHe

Page 29 of 80 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829303132333435363738395479 ... LastLast