Page 1 of 80 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1976

Thread: Forced Induction Section Fabrication Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    45,519
    My Cars
    BMWs

    Forced Induction Section Fabrication Thread

    So why not a fabrication thread to see what everyone is working on or has worked on?

    With all the manifold chat it'd be interesting to see what guys are using for fixtures and such and share what we're working on.

    If you've got something you're proud of post it up! Try and keep the bashing to a minimum!



    I made a pipe beveler using a bosch router, a carbide bit, and some steel plate:


    Pipe Beveler Project by Jon Kensy, on Flickr


    Pipe Beveler Project by Jon Kensy, on Flickr


    Pipe Beveler Project by Jon Kensy, on Flickr


    Pipe Beveler Project by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

    Very useful for welding thicker wall schedule pipe.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 10-10-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    1,168
    My Cars
    Swapped e-Dirty
    Don't make me show you up rookie.
    ar design stage 1 turbo kit - 11.7 @ 127mph 12psi of boost..... 5300ft elevation E36 S50 stock long block w/ARP

    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    45,519
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by ar design View Post
    Don't make me show you up rookie.
    Show me up sun that's what the threads for... sharing projies.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    1,168
    My Cars
    Swapped e-Dirty
    Sorry, what was that? Hard to hear you when you are ALL THE WAY OVER THERE IN THE KITCHEN! (Thanks for that Mike )



    Prepping parts for a batch of downpipes....







    Moar plz?



    Completed parts....





    Manifolds





    Equal length manifold for a Porsche 996TT





    996TT Exhaust



    Last edited by ar design; 10-10-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ar design stage 1 turbo kit - 11.7 @ 127mph 12psi of boost..... 5300ft elevation E36 S50 stock long block w/ARP

    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    45,519
    My Cars
    BMWs
    ^^^ Sick!

    Get some vids of you laying beads! I need to take note.

    Still learning here.

    After troubleshooting some boring database crap yesterday I went home to make this antenna mount bracket for a project at work:


    Antenna Mount by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

    IT by day, metal gluing by night. It was fun though.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dakota County, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,732
    My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Ooooh. Shiny things.

    I like this thread

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,564
    My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T, Jeep XJ
    Wow. I hate life now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    bonita springs fl
    Posts
    915
    My Cars
    oloa 318ti
    THAT PORSCHE STUFF IS SO SICK... it would be cool to have a subforum for fabrication. so i can ask questions like what is a good entry level tig welder that i can weld stainless and alum?
    one lap of america s52/gt35r 318ti..500whp 533wtq 19psi via rk-tunes....
    follow me on instagram @whitecord1

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    45,519
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecord View Post
    THAT PORSCHE STUFF IS SO SICK... it would be cool to have a subforum for fabrication. so i can ask questions like what is a good entry level tig welder that i can weld stainless and alum?
    I've asked for a fab sub-forum a number of times. I figured a thread would give us some access at least.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    1,168
    My Cars
    Swapped e-Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecord View Post
    THAT PORSCHE STUFF IS SO SICK... it would be cool to have a subforum for fabrication. so i can ask questions like what is a good entry level tig welder that i can weld stainless and alum?
    The Miller Diversion welders are a GREAT product.
    ar design stage 1 turbo kit - 11.7 @ 127mph 12psi of boost..... 5300ft elevation E36 S50 stock long block w/ARP

    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington NC
    Posts
    1,854
    My Cars
    96 Oil Gobbler
    I bought an Everlast power pro 205 and absolutely love it. Tig ac/dc, stick and plasma cutter.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    3,308
    My Cars
    e30
    Awesome thread idea!

    I dont have anything to add at this time unfortunately.


    I have a fab question though. I only have a MIG, not optimal, but its what I have. Has anyone used stainless wire in their MIG? I have read with stainless wire and a different gas mix (Helium based) you can get decent results.

    I figure I will try it at least and see how it goes.


    Jon do you have the Diversion 180?
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

    Turbo Camshaft Thread

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    10,079
    My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5
    ^^^ Sick!

    Get some vids of you laying beads! I need to take note.

    Still learning here.

    After troubleshooting some boring database crap yesterday I went home to make this antenna mount bracket for a project at work:


    Antenna Mount by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

    IT by day, metal gluing by night. It was fun though.
    Nice Jon!

    My question is why do you want/need that pipe beveler?

    Sent from my iPhone 5 using BF.com
    This is my signature....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    45,519
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Awesome thread idea!

    I dont have anything to add at this time unfortunately.


    I have a fab question though. I only have a MIG, not optimal, but its what I have. Has anyone used stainless wire in their MIG? I have read with stainless wire and a different gas mix (Helium based) you can get decent results.

    I figure I will try it at least and see how it goes.


    Jon do you have the Diversion 180?
    I run stainless in my Hobart 140 all the time. To have proper shielding yes you should have tri-mix gas. It's not very expensive. I keep a bottle of tri-mix on hand just in case I need to mig stainless. Tri-mix is getting more expensive though due to the helium shortage.

    Yep, I have a Diversion 180 but as you can see in my antenna bracket pic I have modified the hose/torch.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Nice Jon!

    My question is why do you want/need that pipe beveler?

    Sent from my iPhone 5 using BF.com
    Pipe beveler is very useful for schedule pipe because it's so thick. If you look at the pic AR Design posted of the "Equal Lenght 996TT" manifold you'll notice each piece of schedule pipe has a bevel. This helps for penetration.

    With a nice bevel you can get a autogenous root pass without needing to backpurge much:


    Autogenous Weld Root Pass by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

    You would follow that up with a cap pass.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    7,802
    My Cars
    '97 M3
    +1 to the Miller Diversion 180

    Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,832
    My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by ar design View Post
    The Miller Diversion welders are a GREAT product.
    Yes they are, I love my 165, but I have to get a SyncroWave or a Dynasty for the shop, the little guy isn't up for welding for hours lol
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    45,519
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by JackEatsEmoKids View Post
    Yes they are, I love my 165, but I have to get a SyncroWave or a Dynasty for the shop, the little guy isn't up for welding for hours lol
    Yep for shop use it comes down to duty cycle.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,832
    My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Yep for shop use it comes down to duty cycle.
    Yup plus the torch gets nice and warm lol btw where did you source the red flex hose for yours? I'm sick of mine, likes to go its own ways.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    45,519
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by JackEatsEmoKids View Post
    Yup plus the torch gets nice and warm lol btw where did you source the red flex hose for yours? I'm sick of mine, likes to go its own ways.
    Its a weldcraft ultra flex hose. Its amazing. You need an adapter for inside the diversion. There's a guy on a 4x4 site that makes them. Search google I will try and post a link later.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,832
    My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Its a weldcraft ultra flex hose. Its amazing. You need an adapter for inside the diversion. There's a guy on a 4x4 site that makes them. Search google I will try and post a link later.
    You the man, thanks!
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    1,168
    My Cars
    Swapped e-Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by JackEatsEmoKids View Post
    Yup plus the torch gets nice and warm lol btw where did you source the red flex hose for yours? I'm sick of mine, likes to go its own ways.
    Water cooled torches will change your life.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    I run stainless in my Hobart 140 all the time. To have proper shielding yes you should have tri-mix gas. It's not very expensive. I keep a bottle of tri-mix on hand just in case I need to mig stainless. Tri-mix is getting more expensive though due to the helium shortage.

    Yep, I have a Diversion 180 but as you can see in my antenna bracket pic I have modified the hose/torch.



    Pipe beveler is very useful for schedule pipe because it's so thick. If you look at the pic AR Design posted of the "Equal Lenght 996TT" manifold you'll notice each piece of schedule pipe has a bevel. This helps for penetration.

    With a nice bevel you can get a autogenous root pass without needing to backpurge much:


    Autogenous Weld Root Pass by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

    You would follow that up with a cap pass.
    It says made in China right on it Kennesey. Stop trying to take credit for the hard work of others.
    Last edited by ar design; 10-10-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ar design stage 1 turbo kit - 11.7 @ 127mph 12psi of boost..... 5300ft elevation E36 S50 stock long block w/ARP

    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    45,519
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by ar design View Post
    Water cooled torches will change your life.



    It says made in China right on it Kennesey. Stop trying to take credit for the hard work of others.
    If the machine can only do 20% DC at hot amps it ain't worth water cooling.

    Quit frontin' sun


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    1,168
    My Cars
    Swapped e-Dirty
    I am sorry your machine is inadequate, sir.
    ar design stage 1 turbo kit - 11.7 @ 127mph 12psi of boost..... 5300ft elevation E36 S50 stock long block w/ARP

    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    3,308
    My Cars
    e30
    Jon, thanks for the info on MIG and stainless! Very helpful.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

    Turbo Camshaft Thread

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    45,519
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by ar design View Post
    I am sorry your machine is inadequate, sir.
    I make the best of what I've got!

    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Jon, thanks for the info on MIG and stainless! Very helpful.
    No prob post up some results once you get going.


Page 1 of 80 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •