Thread: Convertible top opens automatically

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib

Convertible top opens automatically

Hey guys. I have a friend of mine who's having a strange issue with his 2005 325ci convertible. His top opens up by itself and he doesn't know why. He hasn't witnessed it happening but happened a couple of times recently. I have been telling him that this is I believe a common issue because I have came across a thread about this but I can't find it now. What do you guys think the problem is? He closes the top and makes sure it's all locked and ok but wakes up in the morning topless.
    Last edited by BMWoW; 10-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    he's getting punk'd. It's that simple.
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    E92 325ci
    I would search youtube on how to reset the vert or disconnect battery or remove fuse and plug it back.

Thats where I would start at. Then I would get a video of the car at night!!
    Sahara Beige 323i 5MT, Bilstein struts, Carbon Fiber BMW Performance Strut Bar, Carbon Fiber DINAN Cold Air Intake, BMW BBS Style 124 staggered 18" rims, Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 & 255/35, Front plate delete, Debadge, LED Eagle Eye Tailights, BMW Clear corners, BMW rear License Plate PDC sensors

Monaco Blue 318i Auto, Bilstein struts, BMW front grills and finisher trims of 335i, BMW Style 366 staggered 19" rims, No runflats just M mobility kit, BMW M dead pedal, Front plate delete, Debadge, AC Schnitzer replica rear trunk spoiler, BMW OEM accesories:Umbrella, Rubber floor mats, Trunk Bag Hook, 1st aid kit, Tire preasure gauge, Oil storage bag, Tire tote spare wheel for trips

My Cars
    e90 335i, e36 M3
    I did a ton of reserch before buying my vert. I never came across anything like this. I think someone is screwing with your friend.

My Cars
    I think I read something about someone's windows rolling down by themselves. Similar thing. Forgot what the solution was. I think water had gotten into the door and something was rusted and causing connections to touch or something.

Also did he or the previous owner put in that old module that rolls down the windows and top with the remote? Maybe that thing is messed up.

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    I was guessing the GM5 module?

My Cars
    Nah I think it's the door lock actuator thinking the key is in it because its rusted. Google e46 windows roll down by themselves.

My Cars
    '02 330CI Convert
    Quote Originally Posted by smeli View Post
    Nah I think it's the door lock actuator thinking the key is in it because its rusted. Google e46 windows roll down by themselves.
    Yep, the actuator in the drivers-side door. The key can be used to cycle the top. When it goes, weird things happen. Happened to me. Parked the car at the office, supermarket, wherever, with the top up and I'd come back and the top was down.
    '02 330CiC, Electric Red, Sand Leather, SP, PP, Bi-Xenon, Steptronic

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by tdd View Post
    Yep, the actuator in the drivers-side door. The key can be used to cycle the top. When it goes, weird things happen. Happened to me. Parked the car at the office, supermarket, wherever, with the top up and I'd come back and the top was down.
    I just found this thread because my top just came down by itself too. 20 minutes after I parked it, down it came. I started it and put the top back up, turned it off, took out key, got out....about a minute later....POP! down it came again.

I guess I'll pull some fuses til I get it to the dealer. I don't need it opening while I'm on the freeway.

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport
    Sometimes when I use my key fob to unlock the doors on my E46, the door bell in my house rings. In my previous house, the alarm would sometimes arm itself for no reason and disconnecting the radio control module solved it. In other words, consider whether it could be radio interference. If so, perhaps the car can be programmed by your mechanic to not accept remote signals to open the roof?

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325Ci
    none of my manuals have a fuse panel map. anyone know where to find one?

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    You need to replace both front lack latch assembles as it could be either one. You could try the drivers first and see if the problem goes away. Make sure its in a garage or not going to rain out.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Google a fuse diagram. There is one in the fuse panel if you look hard.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325Ci
    thanks. i'm doin some digging. i think i found one

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325Ci
    i think the trouble is in the door key switch. using the key in the door does nothing. no locking. no top control, no anything.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325Ci
    ghost buster car. a day after halloween gets posessed. lol

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330C, 2005 325i
    I just picked up a 2005 330ci and it has developed the top opening on its own issue as well as windows going down on their own, I read where the lock latch assembles need to be replaced to fix the issues. My question to the group is...does this actually fix the issues and do you have to have any reprogramming done after the lock assemblies are replaced.