RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Engine trouble or software bug

My Cars
    323i

Engine trouble or software bug

ok, as an aside I am no technician The yellow engine light came on on my 323i an hour or so after i got gas. This has happened before when i didnt turn the gas cap completely on tell it "clicks" which i didnt do this time as well : So i get down to half a tank fill it up again and same light but gas cap clicked. So i figure i just have to drive a little. So i have to drive back to my college anyway approx. 300 miles. fill up gas when i arrive at college and the light is still on?? any ideas or should i just give it time or take it in?

My Cars
    323i
    HAHA the light turned off this morning. Thanks goodness I just have too remeber to click that gas cap all the way..wierd.

My Cars
    96 328is 5spd
    if you don't tighten your gas gap all the way then obdII will set a code for the fuel evaporative system because it senses a pressure loss. the cap maintains the pressure within the fuel tank. once you put it on correctly and drive 3 "trips" (you drive it around 3 different times where you meet the requirements for the computer to see that you fixed the problem) the computer will set the light off. sounds like that's what exactly happened for you...always a nice feeling to see that engine light go off after you don't expect it to come on.