Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Max width of tires on a Non M Z3?

My Cars
    BMW z3
    So informative. What offset would I need to run 17x10 in the back on my non m? Stock suspension and everything/no tuning.

17 x 10?......non M ....stock power?.......yikes...car will have huge wt and drag...

My Cars
    BMW z3
    Any updates on the new wheels?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RacerXTreme7 View Post
    Here is my car with the aforementioned 18X8 ET40 fronts and 18X9 ET45 rears. This is with the previous 225/40-18 fronts and 255/35-18 rears. The 235/40-18 and 265/35-18 actually look much meatier and make the car look lower because the tire to fender gap is tighter (and ride better).

Next week the move to 18X8.5 and 18X10! (same style wheels, just wider).

~Mike....
    Many news on the new wheels??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    17 x 10?......non M ....stock power?.......yikes...car will have huge wt and drag...
    I’m going for the looks. I want the meaty rear look. So all I need is what offsets do I need to run 17x10 or 18x10 in the rear!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.8 Coupe
    Hi all, resurrecting an old thread here in the hopes for some clarification.

I just bought a 1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe I'm planning to do some track days with (novice).

After researching on this forum, it seems pretty well agreed that a 17x8.5 square setup on 245/40-17 tires is a good option. However, I just wanted to confirm that shouldn't produce any rubbing with a stock suspension. I'm planning to go with the BimmerWorld TA5R Flow Form 17x8.5 ET38.

Complicating things is that the car is equipped (as far as I can tell) with Godspeed Project Maxx Coilovers.

I'm thinking that means the further ability to adjust the suspension and ride height would make everything fine, but as I'm new to modified suspensions I figured I would start out by confirming the 17x8.5 and 245/40-17 square setup works with the stock suspension in case I want to replace the coilovers or return the car to stock. I also recognize that given the altered suspension I may have to use a spacer to clear the non-OEM items.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.
    Last edited by SEBimmer; 02-14-2022 at 10:25 AM.
    -----
    2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI

Ive owned a 28 coupe since new..99..... I track..I instruct.....

if u r a novice.... Id run your current suspension....not knowing how good it is..... so its not stock as u said?

and Id ask what wheels and tires do u currently have on car?

btw..u might need some neg camber up frt for clearance.
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 02-14-2022 at 10:37 AM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    so its not stock as u said?

I believe this is the car:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-z3-coupe-32/
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.8 Coupe
    Ive owned a 28 coupe since new..99..... I track..I instruct.....

if u r a novice.... Id run your current suspension....not knowing how good it is..... so its not stock as u said?

btw..u might need some neg camber up frt for clearance.
    Much appreciated jrkoupe.

No, it's not a stock suspension - I'm pretty sure it's this Godspeed kit. The car has 16-inch BMW Style 47 wheels on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Correct- thanks again for your help during the auction!
    Last edited by SEBimmer; 02-14-2022 at 11:01 AM.
    -----
    2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe

as u said... u r a novice... go track her a few times... u may even change out the suspension...hold off on wheels and tires....

maybe in may or june Ill sell u my dk grey 8.5 BW wheels...mint!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.8 Coupe
    as u said... u r a novice... go track her a few times... u may even change out the suspension...hold off on wheels and tires....

maybe in may or june Ill sell u my dk grey 8.5 BW wheels...mint!
    Thanks for the advice! Definitely up for not spending the money until I learn more, if the car is trackable as is.

As a side note - I haven't gone full research on this, but what would you recommend as far as brakes? Could I keep the stock setup and get some high performance pads? I read a post here from years ago where someone said they ran OEM calipers and rotors with Carbotech pads and had no issues at all, even with excellent tire grip.

It looks like I'll have the opportunity for a lot of track time over a weekend, plus will be driving fairly long distances in some cases to get to the track, so I want to make sure that's covered.
    -----
    2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234