Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Found a Dakar Time Capsule Today

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Quote Originally Posted by FerM3 View Post
    I miss qualcom AutoX
    Heading to Chuckwalla in two weeks. Should be fun.
    Last edited by crqflier; 03-05-2013 at 01:05 PM.

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    Wish I could get excited about driving around a parking lot in 2nd gear, but after racing wheel-to-wheel it just doesn't look like that's going to do it for me.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    very nice updates.

man we need an updated leather care thread these days from people who know whats up(for caring automotive finished leather)

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    Looks like a Euro airbox with a 3.5" to 3" adapter in the first few pictures.
    -'98 M3 Coupe
    -'03 M3 Coupe
    -'83 911 Coupe
    -'05 911 Coupe

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    Wish I could get excited about driving around a parking lot in 2nd gear, but after racing wheel-to-wheel it just doesn't look like that's going to do it for me.
    Race gokarts

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Finally got around to doing some stuff that's basically not fun, but necessary. New microfilter - old one was definitely beat. And replaced the valve cover gasket. Looking through my docs, looks to be the first time it's been replaced. The gasket and nut seals were like peanut brittle. Thinking about tackling the oil filter housing gasket next. Really not looking forward to that one either. Not doing anything between now and next weekend though - Chuckwalla HPDE. Don't want to screw something up before that.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Totally forgot about this late arrival. Guess I'll be putting it on before the weekend. Low risk of a disabling screw up. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363046984.930470.jpg

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Beautiful car man, congrats. I notice you have the smooth front/rear mouldings.. What's your production date/last 7 of your VIN? My Dakar was an 05/94 prod last 7 EH00922.. early production. Maybe they were close. oh and that side bolster is awful! haha kidding.. my bolsters look just like that. Seats have been in 3 cars now and the leather is holding up just fine.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Thanks. 1/95 production. Delivery in San Diego - Harloff BMW - Feb, '95.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Well, Chuckwalla was a blast. Considering a last minute reg to California Speedway with the LA chapter in a couple weeks. And definitely signing up for Laguna Seca later this summer.

I've put almost 4k miles on it since buying it almost 7 months ago - about 750 in just the weekend at Chuck - it's just over 43k now. No regrets on the purchase - really is a great drive.

Heading out of town for a week and today was crap weather (for San Diego), so I spent a few hours doing the wash, clay bar, carnuba, and zymol routine. Then broke out the cover for the first time. The PO definitely had all bases covered on this car.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Dammit.

Went to run the autox at the Q today and had a great time. Right up until the point I realized that during the event, a seam of delam opened on my headliner on the trailing edge of the sunroof. This instantly turned my headliner into a big freakin' parachute/wind-scoop. Headliner went from perfect to sagging gaping-hole pouch. Hope a local dealer has a new one in stock. Pretty sure I don't feel like dealing with the DIY.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Well, as I'm guessing most people already knew, new headliners are NLA and there's no stock anywhere to be found. Contemplated doing it myself, but I found a highly recommended shop that'll do it for under $300.

On a positive note, got the bear ssk and dssr installed last week. Lovin that. Plus, got a little Dakar love from the local bmwcca chapter - cover shot in the monthly mag.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crqflier; 06-09-2013 at 11:19 PM.

My Cars
    1997 m3/4
    Wow what a nice car! Please post more pictures of it!

My Cars
    99 BMW M3, 99 BMW 540i
    Can I have that car??.... Please.... It's exactly what I want.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Thanks guys. My photo skills are seriously lacking - all my pics end up looking the same. But here are a few from the local bmwcca clean car event last month. The Dakar farther away is actually a guy from LA's car and was the magazine car at launch with Dinan stuff (used for the comparison articles).

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    This car is a beauty, great find! I mistook that exhaust for stock, it looks extremely similar, are you sure dinan tips were not welded on, the internals look exactly the same
    Last edited by UltimateAutoM3; 06-12-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Dream big, work hard, and let what you love, be what you do.

Best in Arizona, Certified Master Technitions, Founded in 1992 and family owned since.
    http://ultimateautoworks.com/

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateAutoM3 View Post
    This car is a beauty, great find! I mistook that exhaust for stock, it looks extremely similar, are you sure dinan tips were not welded on, the internals look exactly the same
    Thanks. Yeah the original exhaust was a 1st gen Dinan which was an OEM exhaust with some internal mods and Dinan tips welded on. Not entirely sure what the specific internal mods were, but they basically cut it open like a clam then welded it shut.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Cleaned.

Edit - Not sure why two images are attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crqflier; 06-22-2013 at 11:28 PM.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '72 911
    crqflier,
    Stunning car, and I'm happy to see that you are enjoying it as BMW intended.

What Laguna Seca event are you contemplating? (BTW, I love the fact that you still call it Laguna Seca.)

Long story short: Both me and my Pop own '95 Dakar M3's. Mine is a 134K mi mostly stock version that I bought from my Pop last year. His is a 45k mi Dinan time machine that he bought a few years ago to use as his track car, which he does.

It would be fun to get three '95 Dakar M3's on the track at the same time. Besides, Laguna Seca is one of my favorite tracks, and where I first tracked an M3.

Regards,
    Jim

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    Oh hey, I remember you! We talked at the BMW San Diego dealership. You had your car parked out front and I was getting parts. You were with your young son, and I asked you about why your grill was painted yellow instead of the normal black plastic. (This was months ago, but I distinctly remember your painted grill).

You popped your hood open for me because I was trying to see a bolt location on some stupid part I was buying but there was too much stuff blocking my view at the time. We talking about flying airplanes a bit too.

I got the red M3 up and running. Build threads in my sig. I'm trying to get a little group ride once a month in the San Diego area for a short hour cruise and then lunch. Last sunday of the month, if you're interested.

PS: i've done three headliners now myself. Two on e36 coupes. If you want to DIY let me know and I'll show you the ropes one weekend. Did it for $30. Pics in both build threads.
    Last edited by cabdolla; 06-23-2013 at 04:16 AM.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Hey Jim - Thanks for the comments. I signed up for the CCA Oktoberfest, autox Friday and Laguna Saturday. Really looking forward to it. Owned a BMW 15 years and never been. Very cool you both have Dakars. Wasn't sure about owning one myself initially, but now I really like it. There might still be space at LS - you and your pop should head over. Would be great to see.

Cab - definitely remember talking at sd BMW. You were just starting your build - might not have been running at that point. I'll have to check out your thread. You should get in to the CCA if you're not already - lots of runs, autox, and hpde. Btw - yellow grill is oem, not black.

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    Yes, I remember you saying that it was painted OEM. Nice to see you on the forums and driving the car like it was meant to be!

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Just ordered some OEM headliner material from Veteran Company in Los Angeles. Bit of an odd name, borderline useless website http://www.veteranco.com/, but after much searching, believe this will be the right stuff - at least the guy on the phone said "guaranteed, this is the stuff you want". So we'll see. Taking it to a local upholstery shop to have the work done. Thought about using suede, imitation alcantara, or whatever "regular" headliner material the local shop uses, but want to keep this rig looking completely OEM or better. Fingers crossed.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5 & '11 M3/4/6
    Hey crqflier - I remember seeing your car at the last couple of autoxs. I didn't know that it was so mint! I was in my white E90 with red wheels trying to go sideways all over the track...

Are you planning on running this coming Saturday's autox? I'll be bringing my new (to me) '98 E36 for her shakedown run.

Would love to see how the headliner project is coming since mine's coming off as well.

Cheers!
    1998 M3/4/5

Front and rear reinforced powder coated subframes / Rear shock mount reinforcements / Rear sway bar reinforcement plates / Rear trailing arm pocket reinforcement plates / Bilstein Sport shocks with new spring pads / Dinan springs / Vorshlag OEM Z4 M Rear trailing arm bushings with RTAB limiters / Stewart high flow water pump / Z3 2.8 pick up tube / VAC oil pan baffle / Drilled oil pump nut / Dinan axle back exhaust / Dinan carbon CAI / Shark Injector / Motion Motorsport underpanel / Bear Motorsport SSK / Rays Engineering Gram Lights 57 Maximum 17x9 ET35 square (street) / Apex ARC 8 17x8.5 ET40 square (track)

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Thanks. Unfortunately missing autox this time - but going to Laguna for Oktoberfest Two days on the track. I'll be back for the next. Gotta get past those e9xM's in the class.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast