Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Found a Dakar Time Capsule Today

My Cars
    93 325 97 328 95 M3
    Great find! Glad you are taking good care of it. Stewardship, really ...
    '93 325is AutoXer, '97 328is DD, '95 M3 project

My Cars
    99' M3 Convertible
    39,300 original (SC) miles... Crazy' is about right.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." A. Einstein

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Heading out to the tire shop. Putting on some RE-11's. Got what I think is a sweet deal - buy 3 get 1 free promo. Feel bad about ditching the PS2's I've got on it now since they have maybe 4-5K miles on them. But they are 10 years old and just not worth the risk for me to keep 'em. Hope the RE-11's are at least close to the PS2's.

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
    Heading out to the tire shop. Putting on some RE-11's. Got what I think is a sweet deal - buy 3 get 1 free promo. Feel bad about ditching the PS2's I've got on it now since they have maybe 4-5K miles on them. But they are 10 years old and just not worth the risk for me to keep 'em. Hope the RE-11's are at least close to the PS2's.
    great tires and hecka lot cheaper then the ps2, wont be dissapointed

My Cars
    M3
    Nice nice car man one of the nicest examples we have seen in awhile

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Love this car, and PHATassM3's avitar picture...

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2

Stromung Exhaust after Dinan Fail

Thanks guys for the comments.

So you may have seen my other post about a rattle that developed inside my Dinan Gen 1 exhaust. Only happened at 600 rpm, but it was super annoying. Taking it down to Calvin's for surgery and hopefully a quick touch up, here's what we found:

Seems that the Dinan s-curved pipe at the entry was constructed of something other than good stainless. The rest of the box - the factory stuff - looks fine. Guess had I waited about another few months, the rattle would have been gone because the part that was rattling would have rusted off!

After calling around a bit and thinking pros/cons of trying to repair the Dinan, I decided to go for the unscheduled expense of a new cat back. Decision was new OEM, Stromung, or AA. I really wasn't up for loud. Placed a call to Scott at Stromung and he was able to ship a staggered tip to me immediately - overnight (they are about 60 miles away). And they were even having a sale. The exhaust arrived today.

Quick stat: the Stromung weighs 26 lbs, the Dinan 43 lbs. Install was supper easy/quick and fit is perfectly. Seems like a quality product. Imagine it is, based on all the positive comments on bf.c. Here it is installed:

Verdict: It's definitely louder and lower (sound, not physically) than the Dinan - especially in the 1500-3500 RPM range. Nothing crazy, but probably takes about 20 years off my driving profile. Kinda like Emmit Smith Mr. Graybeard using Just for Men....

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i

PS2's are OLD technology. The RE-11 is better.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Both are great exhausts...I think the AA have better tips. (much deeper inner wall..really looks good polished up!)

Never a huge Dinan fan, not surprised.

Looks good!!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Day 2 of the Stromung. Compared to a fairly quiet Dinan, freeway cruising definitely has a louder tone. I won't call it a drone, but its definitely noticeable. Also, IMO, the Dinan sounded better at WOT from 3500-7000. It would definitely open up with a bit more where the stromung is pretty linear and relatively quite in that range. Maybe just the dynamic of the Dinan (soft to loud wot) that sounded great. Overall happy with stromung.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    My AA Gen 3 is nice and deep down low, no drone...but wind the car out and its an alien scream! Love it.....Have always heard great things about the Stromungs too...

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quick stat: the Stromung weighs 26 lbs, the Dinan 43 lbs. Install was supper easy/quick and fit is perfectly. Seems like a quality product. Imagine it is, based on all the positive comments on bf.c. Here it is installed:

copycat
    -Rich-

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    I saw this time capsule today and to say it's clean is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

Holy crap is this thing immaculate. Huge score.

Nice pickup Steve
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    copycat

Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    I saw this time capsule today and to say it's clean is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

Holy crap is this thing immaculate. Huge score.

Nice pickup Steve
    Thanks man. Appreciate the help. Enjoy CO.

Also, had mentioned earlier in the thread that I was going to do a blackstone analysis to see how the sedentary life for the last ten years had impacted the engine - if at all. Just got the report back and everything is excellent.

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 02 525
    Wow, so much for the Dinan's products. shocking !!! they cost an arm and couple of legs for this quality?

More pics please...not enough towels to clean my drools.
    Where are you hurting?

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Thanks. Pretty surprised by the Dinan - especially since everything else was fine inside. seems they cut corners on those two pipes. I'd post more pics if I knew how to take good ones. They all end up looking the same.

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    I'm not surprised at all about the Dinan. Back in the day (early '90s) my dad had his shop do some work on a first-gen Legend LS 5-speed (rare car, but not a bimmer!). The experience was less than underwhelming. They showed me where they were designed the chips and it was a dusty, out-dated PC in a mezzanine office with less oomph than an Atari 800. It appeared they were simply messing with parameters without any dyno verification. And then my dad discovered months later that his car was missing all sorts of under-panels and accessories. When he called to complain, they said, "Oh yeah, there's a box of parts here with your name on it." WFT? I know a lot has changed for Dinan since then, but my distinct impression back then was that the guy was a charlatan.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    I put some limiters on the RTA brackets over the weekend plus some bimmerworld SS brake lines. Pockets were perfect and the bushings looked great. I bought some H&R OE Sport springs a month or two ago. Been sitting in my garage since. Wasn't sure if I wanted to put them on or leave my stock springs. Faced with getting an alignment done and reading more about the springs, decided to put the springs on. Of course, work is too busy this week so I'll admit I'm having a shop do it - yeah, I know. But they're good guys that support the BMW scene and while they're at it, they're welding on some AKG reinforcement plates. All in time for the autox this weekend and our HPDE in a couple weeks. At least I won't need to worry about ripping an RTA out at 100mph. X-brace and I'm done after that...

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Don't know where you live in CA, but in Mission Viejo there is an awesome BMW (they do work on other Germans cars too, but are 99% BMW focused) shop call German Car Garage, on Obrero st. Known the owners for many years and when I didn't have time I let them work on my M3 and my kids German rides. Evan has a long history racing them, and was a Mechanic in the Indycar circuit back in the 80s...and nearby is Canyon Motorsports, another awesome shop.

Having moved to WA, I miss them both!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Thanks Jet. I'm in San Diego. Took it to Oceanside Motorsport. It's a long way away, but 7 year old son likes going because we get to watch some planes at Oceanside airport (across the street from the shop) then take the Coaster train home. Owner is a BMW tech and a local bmwcca instructor - so pretty big enthusiast. Should work out well. Just seemed odd to pay for the spring install. RTAB welding? - past my skills.

My Cars
    When you're ready to sell it, please give me a shout and name your price. Best,JG

jmg240@yahoo.com

My Cars
    1995 BMW m3
    man, and I thought my 95 with 63k miles on it was a good find!

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2

Fun Weekend

Had a great day Saturday...

[ame="http://youtu.be/mbyKij7u1SY"]http://youtu.be/mbyKij7u1SY[/ame]

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, Techno
    why get all mad about the poster trying to give you an idea of what items are wearing out? Seems like the OP is trying to fix the few things that are not perfect...knowing about that bolster can save him from destroying nearly mint vaders.

FWIW, I've seen many tears there from this issue. At this point in time, it's a very simple fix...take the seat back off (2 torx 15's at the bottom, take off headrest), then unhook the leather from the tabs on the rear of the seat (only the side near the outer bolster). Peel back the leather to expose the original foam. Pull the foam together and glue it with something like gorilla glue to get it solid again. Then use spray adhesive and glue on a 1/4" piece of foam around the existing foam. Then pull back the leather, rehook it, and put on the seat back. This will firm up the bolster and make it stay looking like new...

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    I miss qualcom AutoX

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast