Thread: e39 Swap Instrument Cluster Re-Coding

My Cars
    1998 540i

e39 Swap Instrument Cluster Re-Coding

“How do I deal with the CAN-BUS?” “How can I make the instrument cluster work in an e39 with an engine swap?” I get asked this question more often than you can imagine, Posts, PMs, e-mails, texts, Facebook messages (and I’m not even on Facebook ). I don't browse this forum very often or have time to respond in depth to every inquiry. The basics have been posted by me and others, but now I am going to put it all in one place. All inquires will be directed here.

First off, I take absolutely no credit for figuring this out, Schitzo figured out how to make this work by some form of magic long ago.

In the modern era, the IKE can be recoded easily with NCS Expert and/or PA Soft, which I prefer for this particular application because it is so easy and very hard to do incorrectly (also it is way easier to show how do this in PA Soft than it is with NCS Expert).

If you can’t get NCS Expert to work and especially if you can’t get PA Soft to work, you really shouldn’t be trying to do the recoding. The same thing goes if you can’t read the WDS wiring diagrams or add a wire to a BMW connector. This thread is how to do the coding and make the cluster work, not how to wire the entire car.

The e39 has a lot of modules, which are all just small computers. They will eventually drive you nuts if you have one of these cars long enough, but one advantage is that they allow BMW to use the same parts for cars in different markets with different options.

What you need to do is to tell the instrument cluster that the coolant temperature signal and the tach signal are old-fashioned analog signals. The good news is that in some e39s this is true, so the cluster has to be able to accommodate analog signals for these gauges.

Below is the screen from PASoft where you do this:

As you can see, the yellow area shows UNCHECKED boxes for “Engine speed via CAN” and “Coolant temp via CAN”. Once these boxes are UNCHECKED, the instrument cluster stops looking for these signals by the CAN BUS and starts looking for them as analog signals – it is that easy.

If you need to get rid of the automatic transmission gear indicator, then check the "Manual" option under "Gearbox". The "Engine" area is where you can make adjustments to the how the tach signal is being output from the LS computer (you can change that in the GM computer as well, but that is outside the scope of this post).

You can also use PASoft or NCS Expert to change the maintenance indicator (the area labeled "Service Intervals"), turn off the DSC light and lots of other things, but that is outside the scope of this thread.

Now that the cluster is re-coded, you need to do some wiring, so that the instrument cluster can get the analog signals that it is now looking for. The tach signal wire will usually be in place but check it, here is the WDS wiring diagram:

Make sure that the wire #3 on connector x10114 goes to the tach signal and it will work (verify the wiring diagram for your level of instrument cluster just to be safe).

Here is the coolant temp WDS wiring diagram:

For the coolant temp signal, one wire will usually be missing, so make sure that they are both there by adding a wire to the connector at the missing pins #18 and #19 on connector x10114 are connected to your BMW coolant temp sensor (again verify the wiring diagram for your level of instrument cluster just to be safe).

There you have it.

I ask people please not to clutter this thread with a bunch of junk and to keep it focused so that it is of use to other people.

Happy swapping!
    Last edited by rao; 02-06-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Thank you rao for the info and for the help you have given me via PM

Here is a link to the scanner rao recommended to me:
    http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html

It comes on a slow boat from China so be patient.

You will also need a BMW 20 pin to 16 pin obd2 adapter. I got mine from ebay, but I'm sure they are available other places as well

My Cars
    99 540i6
    If you want the MPG gauge to operate, you'll also want to un-tick consumption via CAN and wire in an injector signal.
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    1998 540i
    I checked this post and realized that the pics were gone so I replaced them and added a few other items. I recently got a new cluster and had it coded from scratch using PA Soft in about 10 minutes, the process is not difficult.

Enjoy
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    357is (e30 w/LS1)
    Cheers

E30-LS1 Swap Guide and Kits, email us at e30ls1@gmail.com !!! or check our website e30ls1.wordpress.com

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Beautiful!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    If you were to uncheck the box for ASC via CAN, would that turn off ASC, or leave it on all the time with no ability to turn it off via the ASC button?

My Cars
    Canada
    thanks. will reference when I am ready to swap.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    I'm guessing you need to have the full version for this. My demo version will not write the setting.

My Cars
    2x E38 740iL/04 4.8 E53
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    “How do I deal with the CAN-BUS?” “How can I make the instrument cluster work in an e39 with an engine swap?” I get asked this question more often than you can imagine, Posts, PMs, e-mails, texts, Facebook messages (and I’m not even on Facebook ). I don't browse this forum very often or have time to respond in depth to every inquiry. The basics have been posted by me and others, but now I am going to put it all in one place. All inquires will be directed here.

First off, I take absolutely no credit for figuring this out, Schitzo figured out how to make this work by some form of magic long ago.

In the modern era, the IKE can be recoded easily with NCS Expert and/or PA Soft, which I prefer for this particular application because it is so easy and very hard to do incorrectly (also it is way easier to show how do this in PA Soft than it is with NCS Expert).

If you can’t get NCS Expert to work and especially if you can’t get PA Soft to work, you really shouldn’t be trying to do the recoding. The same thing goes if you can’t read the WDS wiring diagrams or add a wire to a BMW connector. This thread is how to do the coding and make the cluster work, not how to wire the entire car.

The e39 has a lot of modules, which are all just small computers. They will eventually drive you nuts if you have one of these cars long enough, but one advantage is that they allow BMW to use the same parts for cars in different markets with different options.

What you need to do is to tell the instrument cluster that the coolant temperature signal and the tach signal are old-fashioned analog signals. The good news is that in some e39s this is true, so the cluster has to be able to accommodate analog signals for these gauges.

Below is the screen from PASoft where you do this:

As you can see, the yellow area shows UNCHECKED boxes for “Engine speed via CAN” and “Coolant temp via CAN”. Once these boxes are UNCHECKED, the instrument cluster stops looking for these signals by the CAN BUS and starts looking for them as analog signals – it is that easy.

If you need to get rid of the automatic transmission gear indicator, then check the "Manual" option under "Gearbox". The "Engine" area is where you can make adjustments to the how the tach signal is being output from the LS computer (you can change that in the GM computer as well, but that is outside the scope of this post).

You can also use PASoft or NCS Expert to change the maintenance indicator (the area labeled "Service Intervals"), turn off the DSC light and lots of other things, but that is outside the scope of this thread.

Now that the cluster is re-coded, you need to do some wiring, so that the instrument cluster can get the analog signals that it is now looking for. The tach signal wire will usually be in place but check it, here is the WDS wiring diagram:

Make sure that the wire #3 on connector x10114 goes to the tach signal and it will work (verify the wiring diagram for your level of instrument cluster just to be safe).

Here is the coolant temp WDS wiring diagram:

For the coolant temp signal, one wire will usually be missing, so make sure that they are both there by adding a wire to the connector at the missing pins #18 and #19 on connector x10114 are connected to your BMW coolant temp sensor (again verify the wiring diagram for your level of instrument cluster just to be safe).

There you have it.

I ask people please not to clutter this thread with a bunch of junk and to keep it focused so that it is of use to other people.

Happy swapping!
    I just have a few quick questions. I am currently on the later end of a motor swap in an E38. The wiring of the RPM gauge and temperature gauge are next on the list. I see the wiring diagram and know how to use NCS expert to do what you are saying. I am currently in the process of a motor swap and have a distributor. Will this work the same way as you have described? Also, I know very little about what and where to wire. Can i see some diagrams with a little more detail on what and where to wire? Any help would be great if someone can help me.
    2001 E38 (Stroker Motor) / 2004 X5 4.8iS / 2006 760Li V12

My Cars
    01 530i 02 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by James39 View Post
    If you want the MPG gauge to operate, you'll also want to un-tick consumption via CAN and wire in an injector signal.
    Any idea what pin to use on the KOM cluster from a 98 528i?

My Cars
    2000 BMW e39 530d LS1
    Hi there fellow LS swappers, im in the last part of my swap, and are now pretty much only missing the programming of the cluster. I have previusly played with INPA / PA Soft, but it has been about 15 years ago, and i just cant remember how to code. (at that time it were a seriel com port programmer, and not usb based - as well as something with a virtual machine)....

The thing is that i have a 2000 e39 touring, and have added a M5 cluster and have swapped a LS1 with 4l60e. I have added the bmw coolant temp censor in the other head. And added a oilpressure clock from vdo (bmw style), where the foglight are usually turned on - right to the cluster.
    I have added the connection for CEL
    And injector signal

pretty much all i need in hardware, now i only need coding.

I need the following coded:

VIN in the cluster, so that the tamper dot disaper
    Manual gear under gearbox - think maybe it already has been coded since the cluster dont show PNRD (and inpa display manual under cluster)
    konventional engine speed - untic can
    konventional temp - untic can
    Check engine light
    Tacho to 2 imp pr. round - 4 cyl tacho

I have tried pretty much everybody calling them selves "guro's" in Denmark, with no luck. Nobody remembers, or have actually tried it before, and talking to them i end up beeing the one most quallified - bringing me no luck since im not there yet.

Is there anyone who will accept the challenge to guide a Dane to get the programming done - or maybe just make some screen dumps of the process?

My Cars
    2000 BMW e39 530d LS1
    Quote Originally Posted by e39LSX View Post
    Hi there fellow LS swappers, im in the last part of my swap, and are now pretty much only missing the programming of the cluster. I have previusly played with INPA / PA Soft, but it has been about 15 years ago, and i just cant remember how to code. (at that time it were a seriel com port programmer, and not usb based - as well as something with a virtual machine)....

The thing is that i have a 2000 e39 touring, and have added a M5 cluster and have swapped a LS1 with 4l60e. I have added the bmw coolant temp censor in the other head. And added a oilpressure clock from vdo (bmw style), where the foglight are usually turned on - right to the cluster.
    I have added the connection for CEL
    And injector signal

pretty much all i need in hardware, now i only need coding.

I need the following coded:

VIN in the cluster, so that the tamper dot disaper
    Manual gear under gearbox - think maybe it already has been coded since the cluster dont show PNRD (and inpa display manual under cluster)
    konventional engine speed - untic can
    konventional temp - untic can
    Check engine light
    Tacho to 2 imp pr. round - 4 cyl tacho

I have tried pretty much everybody calling them selves "guro's" in Denmark, with no luck. Nobody remembers, or have actually tried it before, and talking to them i end up beeing the one most quallified - bringing me no luck since im not there yet.

Is there anyone who will accept the challenge to guide a Dane to get the programming done - or maybe just make some screen dumps of the process?
    ALL GOOD, I managed to get everything programed today by myself, after a good readin and watching youtube. However I can't seem to get the rpm shoving correct. It seems like there are only 3 options in the IMP pr round (3 impulses pr. round, 4 impulses pr. round and the last option are "comething" CAN)

How do you guys manage to get it to read right? and where do you find the 2 imp pr round - is it possible in PA-Soft?