RM European Auto Parts

Thread: turbo problems(no power) on my 320d E90

My Cars
    320d touring 2007

turbo problems(no power) on my 320d E90

HI GUYS i have a bmw 320d touring 2007,the turbo went last week ,the car lost all power and wouldnt go above 1500 rpm and was making ratling crunching noise from turbo.took to a garage that is familiar with bm's.they have fitted a reconditioned unit,bolted back together and the car runs as did but still no power ,wont go above 1500 rpm.The old turbo was snapped in half so def knackered!
    Weve plugged it in to diagnostic computer and says no faults,mechanic has taken the inlet manifold off to check for cracks, and theres some flaps inside,so checked there all ok and pressent.

please can you help as we are stumped

cheers guys lee

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6
    Out of curiosity and probable useful information for everyone else: what was the determined cause of failure for the previous turbo? As far as I know, must turbo failures are due to a lack of lubrication. If the cause hasn't been determined by the shop I wouldn't feel too comfortable letting them install a new one and risk another failure. I know the 2.0D always had a rep for blowing turbo's in the early 2000's but thought BMW had sorted it out apparently.

Also, what diagnostic machine does he have? I would strongly recommend you get it tested at BMW as their diagnostic machine can tell you MUCH more then any random generic reader. Some live data would also prove useful.
    Last edited by BernardF; 09-27-2012 at 06:37 PM.