Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 depreciating vs. "collectible" or "classic"?

My Cars
    '96 911; '00 E320

E46 M3 depreciating vs. "collectible" or "classic"?

I've been looking at nice M3 cabs at around $22K, and I wonder if they will just keep depreciating as new models are released or is there something more to them?

I just sold my Porsche 993 and to be honest, it didn't depreciate at all after 5 years. Admittedly, 993s are special cars, and I know that BMWs aren't Porsches and that you should never buy a car as an "investment," but I don't want to lose my ass either.

What do your crystal balls tell you? For example, we might all agree that the E30 M3 is a modern classic, is done depreciating and might be appreciating. Can we expect anything like this with any E46 models?

My Cars
    2002 Imola Red E46 M3
    It is too soon to tell. However, BMW produced FAR more e46 M's than e36's and e30's combined. I doubt it will ever be a collectable car. Will it always be a great car? Yes. That is the most important thing to me personally

329097_10151144875184101_1020786818_o by boomersooner523, on Flickr
    Past:
    1995 Hellrot E36 M3: JBR LTW flywheel, TRM chip, Dinan exhaust and CAI
    1999 Cosmos E36 M3 Engine: TRM Tune, M50 manifold, B&B Exhaust, BW ASC delete, AFe CAI and LOTS of other stuff
    New: 2002 E46 M3, Imola, 6spd, KW V2, Stoptech BBK, Agency Power exhaust, Mason Engineering Strut bar

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    E46 M3s will continue to depreciate.

And you are right - 993s are special. That depreciation rule doesn't apply to the E46 M3.

My Cars
    2015 M3
    Just a car.

My Cars
    02M5,01740is;M3's(decom)
    E46 M3 (and the E39 M5) will be interesting to watch where it bottoms out on depreciation. Definitely some more value to lose.

Problem is so many produced means there's always going to be some sellers and dealers out there over the next decade more than happy to sell around kbb's value. KBB or any other valuation won't recognize a significant collectible premium (good example now is the 8 series). Last few years I've watched the divergence in sales prices vs kbb on the e39 m5 and e38 740 sport, so the enthusiast premium is emerging. But I say the high supply, continual kbb decline, passage of time just too much downward pressure on values.

Bottom line we can hope for the bimmer /m enthusiast premium but in the end no rarity/collectible premium!

Now an 06 low mileage 6spd m3 w/ competition package 10+ years from now...last of the lightweight high revving n/a inline 6 and best looking bimmer pre fuel efficiency era...

My Cars
    m3
    e36 m3's already bottomed out. Prices have come back up alittle. In the next 5 yrs e46 m's will come back.
    95 M3 stock
    2002 gtp 7psi
    97 328 stock
    1972 Mach1 boosted

My Cars
    '96 911; '00 E320
    Great input!

As long as there are buyers who prefer E46 M3s to the new ones, there will be a demand. That's one part of being a "classic." Let me bore you with some of my supply and demand theory:

As long as kids and novices continue to wad up these cars on road and track, the total supply goes down. As people continue to pile miles on daily drivers, the supply of units with under 100K (for example) will go down. As 3rd, 4th and 5th owners get their grubby paws on them, the supply of well-maintained examples will go down (Google "Porsche 944 syndrome").

So perhaps at this point, buyers who buy low miles, don't put on too many more and take care of their car may not get hurt too bad, resulting in a low cost of ownership if their plans change and they decide not to sell.
    Last edited by dcdude68; 09-27-2012 at 01:23 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 05 Audi All Road V8, 05 M3 ZCP
    The E46 M3 is obviously not done depreciating. Not by a long shot.
    And it will take an even bigger hit once the new M3 comes out-- now were talking two generations removed.

But just how much your E46 M3 will depreciate depends to some extent on how your car is configured, color combo, specs, etc.
    This is a factor that is often overlooked. I know my Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon manual 6-speed ZCP with 50K will hold its value much better
    than a comparable run-of-the-mill black on black, SMG, non-ZCP M3 as there just aren't that many out there, and down the line,
    I will always find the right buyer wanting to pay a premium for it. Well, hopefully...

But both my M3 and the black M3 will continue to depreciate. Just at a different pace...
    Last edited by rommelrules; 09-27-2012 at 03:48 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Coupe
    i agree it'll depreciate more and more.

2003 BMW E46 ///M3 | Alpine White/Cinnamon | 6MT Coupe
    ap headers. rogue el diablo exhaust. bc coilovers w/ swift springs. stoptech st-40. apex arc-8 18x9.5 et22. zkw clear lens. csl bootlid. csl diffuser.

My Cars
    '96 911; '00 E320
    Well there has to be a bottom somewhere. Even nice "regular" (non-M) E30s have settled down at around 1/4 of their original selling price, right? Admittedly, much of the values are propped up by simple inflation.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    To most people there is absolutely no difference between the 318, 320, 325, 328, M3 e36 or e46. Hoping that these will turn into a "classic" or "collectible" is pretty tough. If you could keep a clean M3 for another 40 years or so it might be collectible but not like a barracuda or a superbee. They really aren't all that special from either a styling or performance perspective and the production numbers are huge.

I'll be happy to add a M5 e39 to the garage for a low price. Sadly the maintenance on these cars still carries a hefty premium over the japanese or domestic cars.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    07 Z4
    I will be contributing to the daily driver high mileage M3 pool that will raise the value of the ones who sadly spent their lives as garage queens.. I buy a car to drive and enjoy it, they made a lot of them and more than likely, as has happened in the past, I will move to another BMW car in a few years anyways.

As was posted earlier, its just a car, albeit a great car, still just a car...

Disclaimer-this is my opinion and yours may vary... I am not a troll or attempting in anyway to steer the conversation in a negative way. :p

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Z4 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo Answers
    You are mistake. the 540i is a 4.0L V12.

My Cars
    '96 911; '00 E320
    Not trolling at all. Good perspective. Absolutely nothing wrong with daily driving. There were several people on Rennlist (Porsche forum) who do just that with their 993s. A well-maintained car with 60K - 90K on the clock already is a great choice for that. I was always amazed, however, when people would pay top dollar for a 20K - 30K car then drive the value out of it. An expensive luxury for me. Obviously, E46s are different, but the concept is somewhat similar.

I ride the bus every day. Since daily driving is not an option, losing big value on a garage queen that mostly sits during the week seems like the saddest scenario of all....
    Last edited by dcdude68; 09-29-2012 at 12:10 AM.

My Cars
    06 M3 ZCP
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdude68 View Post
    Great input!

As long as there are buyers who prefer E46 M3s to the new ones, there will be a demand. That's one part of being a "classic." Let me bore you with some of my supply and demand theory:

As long as kids and novices continue to wad up these cars on road and track, the total supply goes down. As people continue to pile miles on daily drivers, the supply of units with under 100K (for example) will go down. As 3rd, 4th and 5th owners get their grubby paws on them, the supply of well-maintained examples will go down (Google "Porsche 944 syndrome").

So perhaps at this point, buyers who buy low miles, don't put on too many more and take care of their car may not get hurt too bad, resulting in a low cost of ownership if their plans change and they decide not to sell.
    Prior to buying my 1998 240sx SE back in 2004 I was trying to find a 1988 944 Turbo S/1989 944 Turbo. They'd come up with either low low miles for about $25,000 or interiors that needed a ton of work or incredibly high miles/beat up.

Even now they are incredibly expensive for cherry specimens. A white on red one with all the mods I would have done came up in Georgia a few years ago with something like 7,000 miles on it. The guy wanted $17k I believe. If I had that cash on me at the time I would have bought it.

My Cars
    E46 M3 ZCP
    E46 M3's have pretty much bottomed out, just as the E36 M3's have. E46's with the SMG's are still selling in the 17-20k range and the 6spd's carry a small (2-3k) premium over those because of the nightmare stories with the SMG. The ZCP's carry a 5-7k premium over any other M3 since they are more rare. Only 2214 shipped to the US. However, like some have said there is still a few years before anything happens and to be honest I see both the E46 and E92's bottoming out in the 25k-30k range when the new M3 comes out because it is a Turbo car and not a naturally aspirated car. The E46 M3 is claimed as the best M3 by a lot of people and still has a high resale value depending on options and transmission which helps keep the value high. I see it like how the Ferrari 360's are selling. The F1 cars sell at a higher price than the 6 speed manuals, also the mileage and maintenance makes a huge difference. I have been watching the E46 M3 market now for 7 years and this is what I have noticed. Also what you see dealers selling the cars for is usually only a 2-3k dollar markup than what they paid at an auction. As of this past April E46 M3's average was 24-35k depending on mileage, options, etc. So even at auctions they are carrying a high premium.
    Last edited by StinkyM; 09-30-2012 at 05:59 AM.
    06 M3 ZCP: RPI Scoops, AFe Stage 2 Intake, Power Flex Urethane Bushings, Shark Injector, VAC Ultra Light UDP's, Turner Solid Diff Bushing, UUC Evo 3, and BAV Auto CDV mod

E46 M3 links:

E46 M3 wheel/tire fitment guide

SSV1 vs SSV2 header dyno

Race Tires!!!

Want to join BMWCCA?

Evolve Tune+Alpha N+Euro Header Dyno, +46 rwhp

My Cars
    E46M3,E36M3,E90,E23,66Mu
    I don't think the E46 M3 is even close to reaching the bottom yet. I do however think the E46 is going to climb much like the E30 in years to come. I feel like in 15 years if you still have a clean, stock, lower mileage E46 it will be starting to become sought after.
    To most enthusiast, it seems the E46 is the pinnacle of the M3 before BMW lost their way creating newer cars that are straying further and further away from the M3s core traits. The newer M3s are becoming better technically however it seems what I consider M3s to be about ended with the E46. For that reason I believe it will have a cult following among BMW purists keeping it fairly sought after.
    I drive my E46 M3 too much, it already has 160,000+ miles on it. If I had some extra cash sitting around I would love to get a stock, clean, low mileage Alpine White E46 M3 coupé. I have zero doubt an car like that is a keeper and if 15 years will be holding value.
    -Brian

-Varis-Hartge-Seibon-Umnitza-TRM--Mason Engineering-Zionsville-Mishimoto-Stewart-Conforti-BMW ///M/LTW

My Cars
    '96 911; '00 E320
    As long as E46 joins the list (at some point) of "icons" like 2002 and E30, nice examples will be in demand. On the other hand, the majority of E30s are worth about $2,000 right now.

My Cars
    ///M POWER
    It all depends on what someone will pay for a car. If someone wants it bad enough than they will pay top dollar for it. Some people wouldn't pay $1000 for a mint E30 M3. On the other hand people will pay top dollar for one because their an enthusiast. Right place at the right time.

My Cars
    M3 M5 X5M
    production numbers alone do not make a collector car or collectible in general. there are many vehicles that were released in north america in small quantities and they didn't become collectors. the fact that many were produced may be beneficial since they were never meant to be collected. people did what they were supposed to do with them... use them. the fact that they were used means they were eventually abused. the more of these vehicles that drive over 75-100k and get beat up and the more the younger crowd consumes them the less clean specimens on the road means the more valuable sub 50k mile cars become. looking back on some of the most popular items over the years and i noticed that things like baseball cards or comics etc climbed in value despite their production numbers. most people didn't bother collecting certain items because they were created in abundance and not cared for. now they are extremely valuable. will the e46 m3 be a collector car? no idea. should you buy it as an investment? probably not. the only way to find out is to wait and see where they are priced in 2035-2040. around that time the generation that was around during the e46 m3 release will be retiring and wanting to revisit something they may had to part with or couldn't afford to begin with and then the hunt begins.

My Cars
    '96 911; '00 E320
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdude68 View Post
    we might all agree that the E30 M3 is a modern classic, is done depreciating and might be appreciating.
    Boy, was I right about the E30M more than 2 years ago. Would be nice if we all had play money (and garage space!) to put our money where our mouth is...

My Cars
    06 JCW
    M cars that are low miles, unmodified, unmolested, and not crashed will always be worth decent money.
    '16 VW GTI
    '77 320i
    '71 E-Type Jag

Past Cars:
    '08 335i, '95 318is, '01 325Ci, '79 MGB Roadster, '76 Triumph TR6, '63 MGB Roadster, '66 Triumph TR4A, 06 John Cooper Mini (Red), '06 John Cooper Mini (Silver)

My Cars
    E46 M3
    The bargain basement crappy cars will continue to depreciate but not my much as they have already bottomed out. However nice individual cars with a decent are already starting to pull a premium. E39 M5 prices in the UK have shot up. Same with the E36 M3...they doubled in value in a few years.

My Cars
    BMW
    It's year 2016!
    And the E46 M3 is still depreciating.
    But I believe it will bottom out when the newer generation G30? (or G80?) M3 comes out.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well I will say that you have to wait another 5 years before it stabilizes, as the oldest E-46 M-3 is 15 years old now, and the newest is 10 years old. Of course a well taken care of car will always pull more than a beater.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    What do you guys think, would a converted SMG to manual be worth more than the SMG? Would you have any issues with purchasing a converted manual M3?
    2000 Alpine White over Estoril Blue & Black Nappa with a Dark Blue Softtop, 1 of 43.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast