Thread: Need help. strange sound leaving me without a car

My Cars
    95' M3,

Need help. strange sound leaving me without a car

One morning as i was getting on the freeway everything was fine but once i hit 5th gear and about 65 mph the right rear end started to make a strange clunking type of noise. i immediately got off of the freeway and pulled over. Wasnt sure what was up i slowly got it back home and the noise was constant anywhere above say 20mph. the sound goes along with the speed (slower i go slower it clunks fast i go the faster it clunks) so that very day i took it over to the shop and asked them what it could be. I was thinking a CV joint because my car is at 230k. The next day the shop rings up and he said there was metal in the bottom of the diff and he thinks i broke a tooth off somewhere in the diff. Which is strange because i just recently had the cars fluids changed and the diff was completely fine. I took it home today and under power i did not hear the noise but if i am just cruising then i will hear it. Again the sound is coming the right rear. I am going to get a 2nd diagnosis but i want to hear what you all think this could be. Thank you
    Last edited by cfletch13; 09-24-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: forgot thing

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    uh, if you have metal inside your diff then something is amiss.

My Cars
    95' M3,
    Even with the recent service saying that everything was good? could this guy just be messing with me to get more money for a diff install?

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    What does the revent service have to do with anything. U broke it after that

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>