Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY Sticky/Clunky Steering Fix

My Cars
    06 Z4
    Does anyone have any indication of whether there ever will be a recall? At this point, I did the DIY fix and after consulting a mechanic on this issue, it's concluded that I will need to replace the steering column eventually so it looks like I'm SOL unless BMW finally gets a recall going.
    It's never the fuse.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4,
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgeous View Post
    Does anyone have any indication of whether there ever will be a recall? At this point, I did the DIY fix and after consulting a mechanic on this issue, it's concluded that I will need to replace the steering column eventually so it looks like I'm SOL unless BMW finally gets a recall going.
    i see your from HB. Did you talk to an Indy about changing out the column and if so which one? Before I did the grease fix I spoke to quite a few and one was Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa. They quoted $400 plus parts. They were ok with me supplying the parts too. The cheapest new column I could find was from getbmwparts.com for about $2400.

My Cars
    2004 bmw z4
    I just bought a 2005 z4 love the car --------and of course it has the sticky steering issue (didn't figure that out till after the test drive -----of course)---- I am going to try the zerk fitting and lube it up ------ have a long drive planned for the up coming thanksgiving holiday ----- and also another trip in early December I sure hope this fixes it------ we let you all know when I get back

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    Applied copper grease to steering cable/rack this evening, and groaning was immediately gone. Thanks so much for posting this info.

My Cars
    1990 325i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sorpassoincurva View Post
    Hi all, i'm seby, i'm writing from italy.
    I recently bought an used Z4, but i suddenly realized there was something wrong with steering. After the diagnosis, i carefully read this thread and performed the mod.

I injected

1 cc of fine lube (SVITOL) meant to remove any dirt or grease.
    4 cc of PTFE based grease from the brand Arexon.

The good: No more clunky, sticky steering wheel. The Micro corrections are now smooth without any obstacle.
    The bad: the steering wheel feels somewhat heavier. Nothing dramatic but less confortable than before (like it was with sport function activated - to understand)

I will test over time the evolution.

Is there a way i can reduce the friction of the grease?
    May i introduce some oil or solvent to solve the now heavier steering?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hi newbie here .... can I ask did you drill at an angle here ? Also I'm unsure if I have hit the shaft or not , my drill seems to have stopped at about 17/18mil but I can't see anywhere in the whole where grease or any other product will go ... if I'm at the shaft then when I turn the steering wheel sorely the drill mark on the shaft will move if I.third it, or am I wrong

Steve???

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by spic View Post
    Hi newbie here .... can I ask did you drill at an angle here ? Also I'm unsure if I have hit the shaft or not , my drill seems to have stopped at about 17/18mil but I can't see anywhere in the whole where grease or any other product will go ... if I'm at the shaft then when I turn the steering wheel sorely the drill mark on the shaft will move if I.third it, or am I wrong

Steve???
    When I performed this procedure last year I had some of the same concerns. I drilled an 1/8" hole 5/8" deep, then felt the drill bit hit hardened steel. I know the original post says we are hitting the shaft, but I think it is actually a steel ring in the housing. When I looked in the hole and turned the steering wheel I didn't see the drill bit mark move like you would expect if we were looking at the steering shaft. To confirm that there was actually a place for the grease to go, I took a piece of fine wire and pushed it up into the hole. I could easily push 2" of wire into the hole, so clearly there is a gap between the aluminum housing and the steel ring. Apparently this gap is aimed right at the plastic gear that needs grease.

I would be hesitant to put any type of solvent in the gearbox. The last thing we want to do is have the plastic gear swell up. On my car I used a syringe filled with teflon grease compatable with plastic. There was a bigger improvement than I expected. Besides solving the binding in hot weather, I also noticed a consistent improvement in the steering returning to center. This was especially noticable on an exit ramp where the curve gently opens up. I used to have to give the steering wheel a nudge to straighten out, but now I don't have to do that any more. It has been at least 6 months since I greased the steering column, and I am still satisfied with the results.

Dale

My Cars
    1990 325i sport
    Thanks for the reply Dale, I'm with you on the ring thing but Im at a bit of a loss, Im definitely at the steel ring part but Ive tyred putting some fine wire in the hole but it goes no where, so not really sure where to go from here ???
    did you drill at an angle as in dead centre but pointing more into the casing ? I did read somewhere that you can drill from the top but can't find the tread or any pictures of it being done like this ?

My Cars
    '06 BMW Z4 3.0Si
    Hi, All. My first post. My mechanic is willing to try this fix on my '06 (april) 3.0Si but hopes someone has more pictures. Any help appreciated.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 2.5I
    Hi everyone. I have a 2004-Z4. I am experiencing sticky steering. is there a video around about doing the drilling with exact location on the steering box?

Thanks

Tony Harnum

My Cars
    bmw z4 3.0
    hi everyone

I just got same problem have read through and understand just wondering those people who used oil what did you use to block hole up ?

did you still tap & die with blank plate?

thanks so much

have nice day

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0 6MT, 2007 X3
    Looks like the Wurth spray oil mentioned by Stromtech earlier has been relabeled as HHS-K. Something about EPA compliance. It appears to be the same formulation as the HHS-2000 formerly available.

- - - Updated - - -

Tony, it looks like the original YouTube post has been taken down or is no longer available. I too would love to watch it if the original poster would be so kind as to re-post or send a link. Thank you!

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 2.5i
    My 2004 Z4 has the sticky steering issue, but it's only showed up for me about three times since I bought the car about a month ago. I've noted that it only happens when the temperature is at least 89 F, which is consistent with what others have experienced here. My car is usually parked in the shade, and the first time I noticed the sticking was a warm day where my car was parked outside all day while I was working.

I've decided to go with a combination approach. First, I drilled a hole in the housing as outlined in this DIY, and sprayed some of the PTFE lube that Stromtech recommended (Wurth HHS-K) after cutting the tip to have a 45 degree angle. I sprayed until it dripped back out, which didn't end up being much, so I was skeptical at first that I got the lube far enough in the housing. Immediately after, I drove around our street, turning the wheel completely from left to right a few times. Some more oil dripped back out (on my suede shoes, of course), so I figured it did get in there after all. That was yesterday, and today, it got warm enough to where my dash thermometer read 89, and there was absolutely no sticking, which makes me hopeful, but it's not warm enough to be definitive.

I purchased a grease gun and some PTFE grease called Super Lube, which is supposed to be safe on plastic. I'm following up the spray with BMWHA's approach of hitting it with a shot of grease through a zerk. I figured the Wurth oil will creep into places that the grease might not, and the grease will seal the deal and make the fix more or less permanent. I also thought that if the spray didn't work, I wouldn't have to bother with buying a grease gun which I will have no other use for. Since it did seem to work, I'm going to finish up by installing the zerk and shooting in some grease tomorrow when all my supplies arrive. I will update on this thread by the end of summer here to share my results, but I'm feeling optimistic.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 Roadster
    I have this issue as well (2006 2.0 roadster) local mech. is going to try this for me. Will let you knw.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 Roadster
    and it hasn't worked.
    any further ideas before I trade it?

Thanks

Nick

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0
    Thanks to Bmwha and all. I bought my first BMW (2004 Z4 3.0 with 112K miles) in March and loved the feel of all of it. This summer in central California, it started the "sticky steering" syndrome. Hot weather brought it on, I guess. So I followed the instructions herein, lubed it with Lucas Xtra-Duty grease and all is well. It's been about a month and I've driven it when the temps are over 100F with zero problems. An easy fix and I'm very appreciative. 8-))

My Cars
    328i T, Z4-3.0si
    Hi borzoidad, I also have a 5/06 3.0si with steering issue. It seems that the issue for the o6 Z-4's is the grease used for that year is different than the earlier years used. I am going to see if BMW is still doing any dealer assistance on the early 06's as they were fixed after June 2006 I believe. Let me know if you find out any news for your Z-4

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    You might try reading this....

Sent from my iPad using BF.com

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Let's try this again...

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/...b-33fba06e6196

BMW response letter on this issue to regulator questions.

Sent from my iPad using BF.com

My Cars
    04 BMW Z4 3
    Just got bought a 2004 Z4, of course I have sticky steering, so I am getting an inspection and oil change. The mechanic is a friend and said he would try and duplicate the success most have had with the grease fitting. I will keep you posted.

Jamie

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisstone View Post
    hi everyone

I just got same problem have read through and understand just wondering those people who used oil what did you use to block hole up ?

did you still tap & die with blank plate?

thanks so much

have nice day
    I found no need to plug the hole, any excess stopped dripping stopped almost immediately. BTW, I still have not experienced any further problems and it's been over a year since my mechanic last sprayed it for me. I remove the cover when I go for an oil change and he sprays it no charge...I replace the cover when I get home.
    Last edited by Stromtech; 08-27-2016 at 10:54 AM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is Coupe
    I bought an 04 Z4 this past weekend with only 65k on it. I test drove it didn't feel anything wrong so i was like awesome! Started to begin the 5hrs back in the newly bought Z4, then suddenly I felt the stickiness. .... Brought it home and parked over night and then later that afternoon I drove it another 6hrs to school and my wrist was killing me from fighting the wheel. So with further research I found out it was a common problem and wondering why it hasn't been a recall because its clearly a safety hazard. Anyway I had to drive it again another 6hrs yesterday so on Thursday I did this mod. I am extremely happy with the outcome! Thanks for the write ups and links to others!

My Cars
    M135i LCI Xd 2016
    Any chance that someone reup the video please ?
    F21 M135i Xd - E85 - 2.5i - R1200RT - GSXR1000

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5 L
    Can you send photo of the location?

My Cars
    2004 Z4
    Hi

I tapped the hole to 1/8" NPT and inserted a pipe plug. I used Tectran Pendilube and have had no sticking for over 2 years.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5 L
    Quote Originally Posted by spic View Post

Steve???
    I preformed this last week and all is well. I just used regular axle grease that is a high temp product. Drilled the hole in the location shown, squirted about two ounces into the hole and plugged it.

Thanks to all for the blog and finding a fix that did not cost $3500.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast