Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY Sticky/Clunky Steering Fix

My Cars
    C4, C5 Corvettes
    Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    A complete failure would be relatively easy to isolate as compared to an intermittent failure. I suggest you look for corroded connectors throughout the entire electrical system. Use an electrical contact cleaner liberally on all accessible contacts.

Regarding the zerk fitting fix for the Z4's jerky steering:

This method of solving the jerky steering problem is now well know, widely used and effective, however, the zerk fitting is simply a tool for the grease gun to engage, it isn't absolutely required. I drilled a hole through the aluminium housing into the steel shaft then shoved a tube of gun grease (TetraGun Grease, available at most sporting goods stores or gun dealers) into the hole. I squeezed the tube so that the grease was forced into the hole. I then inject a shot of RemOil gun oil into the hole. I cannot quantitatively say how much of each was injected but the stuff went someplace. Time will tell to what extent the gears were lub'd but there was no jerky steering when I returned the '04 to its owner. I will get reports on the steering as time passes during the summer months.
    Last edited by vulcan73; 06-15-2015 at 05:29 PM.

My Cars
    04 330 ZHP, 03 Z4 3.0i
    Hey thanks for the response. The car has not done this again so far. When I got home last night I drove the car for about an hour and had no problem. Then only thing that I had recently done was put air in the tires about a week before this first happened. The temp's have really been climbing in this area over the last couple of weeks so I decided night before driving to recheck all of my air pressure. What I found was the right front had climbed to 39.5 and the left front was 37 from the recent heat wave I'm thinking. Both rears had also climb to almost 40. So I re gauged them to 33 in the fronts and 36 in the rear. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the issue but you never know and only time will tell. Also Stromtech do you happened to know the name of high tech spray grease that your mechanic used? Thanks again

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4
    Hello and thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I am a brand new member and have just finished reading this entire thread. I have a 2005 Z4 with the same sticky steering problems although it is quite minor at this point in time. The car has 42,000 kilometers on it. I am going to install a zerk fitting and will definitely use grease. As a retired machinist and industrial mechanic I have had the opportunity to work with lubrication and gears a lot. Worm gears and worm wheels such as the ones used in the Z4 steering column operate under very high pressures and thus need grease for proper long-term lubrication. Grease can withstand a lot more pressure than oil and oil tends to run off and leaves only a very thin film, so it would need to be reapplied often which seems to be the case with some of the folks on this thread. Also, because grease guns force the grease into the fitting at high pressures, the grease will travel to places the oil cannot. Anyway, just thought I would offer my two cents worth and thanks again to everyone on this thread. I am so glad to have found this site and this thread! Cheers.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by craig48 View Post
    I too did the grease fitting method. I had to use a Dremel as also mentioned above to shave away some material to make a flat mating surface to get the fitting I had in but if you can find the long threaded fitting mentioned you won't have to do that. I had a bit for my dremel that shaved away the material in a few seconds since it is aluminum. I also drilled a small pilot hole as mentioned but the second hole I drilled was to big for the grease fitting I had on hand so I had to go to NAPA and get a larger one. Save yourdelf some time and use a smaller bit then mentioned and try screwing the fitting in. Go larger in small increments until the fitting can screw in. I put a piece of masking tape on the bit 5/8" from the tip to assure I did not drill into the steering shaft. This assures the proper depth of the hole.

Thanks to the OP for this cost saving method. I have not driven the car much since so I can't say if it has corrected the issue. I also did the steering rack lube procedure mentioned where you take the CV boot camp off and slid the rubber boot back and grease the steering gears under the boot. This was done to possibly eliminate the groaning noise we had when turning the steering wheel all the way left. Again I don't have any results yet as we have not driven the car much since. I will update we drive it more.
    It has been 3 months and the groan is gone. The cooper grease on the steering rack did the trick for that. The steering feels better as well since I also put the grease fitting in the steering column and pumped the grease gun 4 times.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4
    Could you possibly send us your video...it's no longer on youtube.

My Cars
    BMW Z4 2.2i 2-2004
    Hello from Amsterdam Holland. I want to thank all the guys who experimented with the sticky steering-solution. It's great...even my wife likes to steer the Z4 again (oh oh). The risk is'nt drilling the hole (i did 3 mm) but the risk is what lubricant to use. I know that using siliconspay is the first thing what comes up. Don't do it.....i used it sometime ago on a plastic rolling-curtain but it didn't roll anymore....(i was able to remove it, but that's impossible in the Z4)
    I saw an advise for using Remington-gun-oil. It might have worked, but we in Holland cann't buy is.....
    So I used PTFE lubrifiant spray manufactered by DEN BRAVEN in Holland and it works fine. We've just had a heatwave here and driving after a day standing closed in the sun is great fun again. Thanks ! ! !

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    The spray grease used by my mechanic with great success is a product from Wurth Industries called HHS000. I googled it available here...http://mcfaddensdirect.mcfaddens.com...000-1690z.aspx

I recommend it highly. Rather than buy it my mechanic said he will shoot some in each time I get an oil change if needed.

Happy Steering

My Cars
    Z4
    Hello from Canada. I tried the recommended drilling,zerk and high pressure grease solution and sorry to say it did not work. But we did solve the sticky steering problem by this.Optimization of electro- steering procedure.
    I have a pdf for this but can't seem to post it.This corrected the sticky/notchy/heavy/stiff steering problem we all have expierenced.

Thanks

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    I'm guessing you had a different problem, mine and others were definitely lack of lubricant problems... I would like more info about the pdf you refer to... Who created it, where did you get it and why can't you point us to it or cut and paste the info to this thread
    Thanks

My Cars
    Z4
    Don't know how to. Can you private message me your email and i'll send it to you?

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0
    I am new the Forum and came to the sight to see if I could find a solution to my sticky steering (2004 Z4 3.0). What a wealth of information. I had sticky steering and it was getting worse as the temps rose. I performed the procedure on my Z last week. The "Ultimate Driving Machine" is back. The fix was instantaneous. As soon as I finished I went for a drive and did not have any sticking from the moment I left the driveway. I have driven the car for a week, including a fairly log drive since the fix. Drive great.
    I want to especially thank Bmwha for figuring out the fix and procedure, and also Stromtech for all his posts answering questions and helping all out.
    I look forward to being more of a part of this forum sharing information.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4

Great Information!

Followed you instructions and it worked perfectly. It changed my 2003 BMW Z4 from a car that was unsafe to drive if it was over 80 degrees outside to a fun little convertible that is a blast to drive again. Your suggestions were easy to follow, the pictures were a great help also. Thank you guys for your time and suggestions on this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bmwha View Post
    This guide is a compilation of work by me and other members. It is recommended you read the entire thread before proceeding; however, I have appended the most relevant material below. A big thank you to everyone, especially Stromtech (who has been with this from the beginning), for making this fix possible. If it works for you, please let us know in the post.

DISCLAIMER:
    This is how I fixed mine-- yours may be different and this guide is for informational purposes only. I take no responsibility for anything you do on your own; this serves as educational information to the community. Try at your own risk.

Original Method:

1) After several hours of investigating the location of the problem, I disconnected the battery.

2) I moved the driver's seat as far back as possible before disconnecting.

3) I then removed the panel below the airbag panel. It has 4 screws.

4) Disconnected interior light wires and moved the panel aside.

5) The steering column is made in two pieces. The upper and lower part. I located where the two aluminum housings bolt together.

6) I then took a 1/8" drill bit and drilled a hole exactly dead center where the upper and lower housing come together. When drilling through the aluminum, the drill drills quickly through the aluminum and kind of comes to a stop. At this point, I feel the drill bit hitting the post. Stop before going through the post. I drilled about 5/8" or approximately 15.8mm.

7) Acquire a long-shanked grease fitting (these are self tapping).

8) In my case, I then bored that original hole with a 7/64" drill bit about 1/8" deep to expand the beginning of the hole to accommodate the grease fitting.

9) Started the grease fitting with a ratchet and socket while holding it straight and turning at the same time until the fitting starts to seat itself. Took about two turns.

10) Then, I got my grease gun, pumped 2 squirts of grease (this may vary, try 1 pump and go from there) and reassembled the car.

11) Problem fixed for over a year and the steering is smooth again. If the problem arises again, grease again.

Other Modifications/Adaptions/Information from Members:

From Tvierima:
    Pumped three times the grease (Redline CV-2) and test drive taken.

I used 3mm drill bit until I hit the post and after that I used 6.8mm drill for the 8 mm grease fitting (appr 8-9mm deep). My grease fitting was not the longer one, so I need to take some material off with dremel tool from the lower housing part to level the grease fitting nicely. Yes, just drill from lying on the floor looking up exactly in the center ( I missed the central point, but it worked ) of the joint and drill as it want to go aligning with joint.

From Stromtech:
    Glen...I tried a similar idea, drilled the hole and then inserted a spray tube and shot some Rem Oil (Remington Gun Oil with silicon) into the area. It has made a considerable difference. I don't get the stick on center nightmare I had before so driving in a straight line at speed is now a pleasure. The steering just feels a touch heavier after parking in the hot sun, but much smoother and not sticky.

I think adding the Zerk and pumping in grease would force lube into areas that spraying does not get to. My first spray did nothing so I cut the end of the straw at 45 degrees and rotated the can while I sprayed. That did the trick as it sprayed more to the side. I'll try a couple more spray shots as I prefer using a thin oil. I am concerned grease might dry up and be impossible to remove later.

But this does show that Bmwha has nailed the problem. Scottie seems to have found another drilling location but no pics yet to show exactly where to drill...not sure if his car is the same as I don't know what a 55 plate 2.0 is. I don't see the spot Scottie talked about when I'm sitting in the drivers seat...but again Scottie's solution indicates that the problem can be resolved with lube.

Natspar...I shot the lube for about 10 seconds and then rotated the straw and did another 10...

Since my last post I have not had any sticky or notchy steering and it has been very hot here.....the only thing I have noticed, and it could be because I am constantly feeling for trouble, is the steering feels a bit heavier after the car parked in the hot sun...not sticky or notchy, just seems a bit heavier. That's why I intend to blast some more Rem Oil in there... quite a bit drips out after spraying so best to put some rags down on the carpet.
    Overall, I am now very happy with the way it is ...time will tell how long it lasts but if I have to spray some oil once a year it's a far cry from replacing the steering column. I left the under dash panel off for now.

Yes, from what I have read on the NHTSA site, BMW re-engineered the steering column in June 2006 with increased tolerances and changed to a new lubricant. I suspect the tightness we feel is due to the tolerance issue and the column is binding when something expands in the heat. The lubricant has taken away the notchy stick on center feel which is a vast improvement. The car is once more fun to drive.
    I also noticed the car getting better each day so perhaps it's taken a bit of time for the oil to work it's way into the right places...I plan to blast more in soon and see if there is any further improvement. With the under dash panel off it's very easy, only a couple of minutes to shoot some in.

From natspar:
    The 45 degree cut was a perfect solution. It's cold and rainy today so I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the details.

From Z Vier:
    I too have the stickysteering problem with my 2004 Z4. During the summer in Virginia it is at its worst. Thanks to BMWHA for apparently solving the problem. My only concern is that those who have tried it are introducing a variety of lubricants into the steering gear that may not be compatible with the components. BMW changed to Kyodo Yushi Multemp SC-U in 2006 but I have not been able to find a source for this grease in the US. I want to try this fix but I am concerned that regular auto grease or other products may damage the gears. The Kyodo website lists this product as "High-temperature long-life grease for plastic parts. Contains special plastic lubricity improver and effectively reduces friction of plastic gearsexposed to high surface pressure. Suitable for EPS plastic gears."

From RedZ404:
    Performed Bmwha fix yesterday - had been dealing with the stickysteering off/on, but was leery of drilling into the column. However, given $3500+ repair or 30mins of time to try to resolve squirreling steering, chose the latter. I went with Stromtech version using Rem Oil w/ 45 degree cut to spray tube. Left car sitting in sun all day (although sunny, temp was only around 68 degrees NY). Interior hot but not as hot as say on 80+ degree days when problem really noticeable. Drove for around 1/2 hour and did not notice any stiffness nor tightness, but will continue to monitor. To all on this thread, especially Bmwha, thanks! Technical details - used 1/8" drill bit, centered to 5/8" depth. When I sprayed the lube, heard the fluid going inside, only a little dripped back out of hole. Going to leave under dash panel off for now in case I need to spray more.

Answered Questions by me and other members:

Originally Posted by Stromtech
    Bmwha...Can I assume #8 is a typo and you expanded it to 9/64" from 1/8" which is 8/64? Any particular reason the entire hole could not be 9/64"?

Thanks...

As long as the grease fitting can make its own threads in the hole without falling out, you're good. Pictures and video are posted in the thread. Let me know if you need more.
    Last edited by Bmwha; 07-24-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Originally Posted by z4iowa
    Looking for a little help. I drilled a hole in the spot that was indicated 5/8" deep. It did not appear to go all the way through housing to the rod. My hole was a little off center so would I need to go deeper to get to the rod? I like the idea of the spray but I'm guessing if the hole is opened up to the actual rod it won't do any good. I'm a little hesitant to go further without clarification. Thanks

When I was through the soft metal the drill bit hit the steering shaft which is hard steel...You will know when you are through because the drill will be reluctant to go further. If you are dead center or close to the center you will hit the post after getting through the 5/8 soft metal. I'm guessing the shaft is at least one inch so you would have to be way off center to miss it but the further off center the deeper the shaft will be. Use a 1/8 or slightly larger bit such as 9/64 and it will provide lots of room for the spray straw to be wiggled about.

My steering is like new again, no stickysteering, no notchy steering and after the lube has now worked in, no tighter steering when hot anymore. I'm ready to re-install the under dash panel...that's how confident I am that this will last. If I have to do it once a year I consider it nothing compared to three thousand plus dollars. Bmwha nailed this problem.

Attachment 495780Attachment 495781Attachment 495782

I had the problem with steering binding, not returning to center and a clicking springlike sound on my 98 328is. It was definitely getting unsafe. Found this old thread , which explains the mechanics and has a link to a step by step solution. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Writeup-w-pics Now, I did not have to remove the steering wheel or get under the car. Here's how: 1. Removed the housing around the steering column between dash and wheel. If you look carefully from top/ side while turning wheel, you'll see where bearing is at top of steering column. 2. Using the spray tube, applied PB Blast, then silicone lube, then white lithium into bearing, turning wheel lock to lock a few times between each. PB cleans it, silicone penetrates and is immediate, lithium is thicker and will seep in. 3. In engine compartment, did same to lower bearing using 2 bendy straws inserted and taped. You can get to the top half of bearing and the stuff will find its way in and around if you aim carefully. I also lubed the u joint. This whole process took about 20 minutes, half of which were maneuvering the steering column cover and fumbling with the screws. End result: steering is quiet, smooth and better than new! opacity_60039

Note, it's about a month later and everything is still turning smoothly with no noise or binding.
    Last edited by adxss2; 09-14-2015 at 12:21 AM.

My Cars
    05 Z4
    Do we know what model years this issue effects? I am looking to purchase a Z4 but would like to avoid this issue altogether.

Thanks, Don

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4,
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wrdr View Post
    Do we know what model years this issue effects? I am looking to purchase a Z4 but would like to avoid this issue altogether.

Thanks, Don
    2003- June of 2006.

My Cars
    05 Z4

VIN # Range?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekZ4 View Post
    2003- June of 2006.
    Thanks for the really quick response. Anyone possibly know a VIN # range?

Thanks, Don

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0

Sticky steering fixed

Hallo from Austria, Europe. I bought my 2004 Z4 in the cold season (March 2015) and the test drive was too short that the temperature of the steering column increased. After having bought it and driving home the temperature increased and it turned out that my Z4 has the “sticky steering”. It was nearly impossible to drive along straight roads where you only need small movements of the steering wheel.
    Thanks to Bmwha who had the courage to drill into the steering column. I did it in the same way where the two aluminium housings are mounted together (see pictures). You have to drill 18 mm deep than the driller stops at a part of hardened steel. It`s not the post because it don’t moves when turning the steering wheel. I guess it is a bearing shell or something like this. I tried it with smaller drills but it only worked with a diameter of at least 3 mm. Looking into the drilled hole with a loupe I thought I could see a small opening in the borehole on the side to the upper housing of the steering column. Through this tiny hole you can press the lube to the worm gear. In the attached sketch you can see how I guess the situation in the borehole looks like.
    I decided to use oil which is used for bicycles and sewing machines. To inject the lube I took a syringe on which I put a tip of a small plastic oil can. If you only have an injection needle you can wrap a teflon strip around it to make it fit into the borehole. I only pressed 5 ml of oil into the steering column.
    The effect was tremendous. The 5 ml of lube made the steering as the engineers wanted it to be. And over the time (now 5 month later) it went slightly better. I guess because the dry grease needed time to absorb the oil and become again a good lube. Only when it’s really hot you notice a bit of the sticky feeling. Thanks to all in this forum and especially Bmwha for the fix of the problem. Hallo from Austria, Europe. I bought my 2004 Z4 in the cold season (March 2015) and the test drive was too short that the temperature of the steering column increased. After having bought it and driving home the temperature increased and it turned out that my Z4 has the “sticky steering”. It was nearly impossible to drive along straight roads where you only need small movements of the steering wheel.
    Thanks to Bmwha who had the courage to drill into the steering column. I did it in the same way where the two aluminium housings are mounted together (see pictures). You have to drill 18 mm deep than the driller stops at a part of hardened steel. It`s not the post because it don’t moves when turning the steering wheel. I guess it is a bearing shell or something like this. I tried it with smaller drills but it only worked with a diameter of at least 3 mm. Looking into the drilled hole with a loupe I thought I could see a small opening in the borehole on the side to the upper housing of the steering column. Through this tiny hole you can press the lube to the worm gear. In the attached sketch you can see how I guess the situation in the borehole looks like.
    I decided to use oil which is used for bicycles and sewing machines. To inject the lube I took a syringe on which I put a tip of a small plastic oil can. If you only have an injection needle you can wrap a teflon strip around it to make it fit into the borehole. I only pressed 5 ml of oil into the steering column.
    The effect was tremendous. The 5 ml of lube made the steering as the engineers wanted it to be. And over the time (now 5 month later) it went slightly better. I guess because the dry grease needed time to absorb the oil and become again a good lube. Only when it’s really hot you notice a bit of the sticky feeling. Thanks to all in this forum and especially Bmwha for the fix of the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0

Sticky steering fixed

Hallo from Austria, Europe. I bought my 2004 Z4 in the cold season (March 2015) and the test drive was too short that the temperature of the steering column increased. After having bought it and driving home the temperature increased and it turned out that my Z4 has the “sticky steering”. It was nearly impossible to drive along straight roads where you only need small movements of the steering wheel.
    The effect was tremendous. The 5 ml of lube made the steering as the engineers wanted it to be. And over the time (now 5 month later) it went slightly better. I guess because the dry grease needed time to absorb the oil and become again a good lube. Only when it’s really hot you notice a bit of the sticky feeling. Thanks to all in this forum and especially Bmwha for the fix of the problem.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by z4carinthia View Post
    I first used oil for the same reasons you used oil...but I had minor steering tightening annoyances when it was very hot and parked with the top up. My Indie shot a very fine gear grease from a spray can into the hole and the difference was amazing...No More Sticky Steering in any weather. I noticed the difference between my oil lube and his grease lube before I drove 20 feet. IMHO there is no substitute for a good gear grease.
    FYI...he used a product called HHS-2000 made by Wurth. It's about twenty bucks a can but it is excellent.

BTW...great photos of the injection location though I'm a bit confused with your sketch
    Last edited by Stromtech; 09-18-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromtech View Post
    I first used oil for the same reasons you used oil...but I had minor steering tightening annoyances when it was very hot and parked with the top up. My Indie shot a very fine gear grease from a spray can into the hole and the difference was amazing...No More Sticky Steering in any weather. I noticed the difference between my oil lube and his grease lube before I drove 20 feet. IMHO there is no substitute for a good gear grease.
    FYI...he used a product called HHS-2000 made by Wurth. It's about twenty bucks a can but it is excellent.

BTW...great photos of the injection location though I'm a bit confused with your sketch

Thank’s Stromtech. Next year I will try it also with the Würth lube since my steering feels not total healty when is’s very hot. I intended to make a small peltier cooling system for the worm gear to solve this. But now I think your grease is better.

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by z4carinthia View Post
    I intended to make a small peltier cooling system for the worm gear to solve this.
    Wow, that would have been interesting! Glad you will not have to do it, sorry that we'll never see the how-to.

My Cars
    2009 Subaru Outback
    I am in the market for a Z4 with a soft convertible top and have been actively reading the posts concerning the steering problem. I have a few questions that will aid in my selection of a Z4. Did the manufacturing change in 2006 solve the problem, or does it exist in all years 2004-2015? Does the BMW $3,500.00 replacement part fix the problem? It seems that the problem takes years to surface, so do you have any suggestions for the purchase of a Z4?

My Cars
    Z4 2.5
    Hi all, i'm seby, i'm writing from italy.
    I recently bought an used Z4, but i suddenly realized there was something wrong with steering. After the diagnosis, i carefully read this thread and performed the mod.

I injected

1 cc of fine lube (SVITOL) meant to remove any dirt or grease.
    4 cc of PTFE based grease from the brand Arexon.

The good: No more clunky, sticky steering wheel. The Micro corrections are now smooth without any obstacle.
    The bad: the steering wheel feels somewhat heavier. Nothing dramatic but less confortable than before (like it was with sport function activated - to understand)

I will test over time the evolution.

Is there a way i can reduce the friction of the grease?
    May i introduce some oil or solvent to solve the now heavier steering?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

My Cars
    Bmw z4 3.0 2004
    Does anyone have Bmwha's YouTube link for this fix?, can't find it anywhere. thanks

My Cars
    2009 Subaru Outback
    The sticky steering problem has also been associated with Mini Coopers. A 10/29/15 article in the Reading Eagle titled, "Mini recalls cars to fix power steering" states "Under pressure from U.S. safety regulators, BMW's Mini brand is recalling more than 86,000 cars because the power steering could fail. The recall covers the Mini Cooper and Cooper S models from 2002 to 2005. BMW said in documents filed with regulators that the power steering can fail because of manufacturing or other issues. If that happens, manual steering remains, but it would take a greater effort to steer."

This recall needs to be expanded to include Z4 models with the same problem.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast