Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY Sticky/Clunky Steering Fix

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    All is well!

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Hi Bmwha, I am based in the UK and experienced this very same problem on a long journey on Saturday. Your thread is very detailed and most informative and I plan to carry out the work in the next few weeks. I have followed the link to the video on YouTube but it aqppears not to be there anymore, would you be able to send it to me?
    Many thanks

My Cars
    e24, e85, v40
    Share the new link, so he doesn't have to reply to new requests.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Hi I'm new to the whole forum thing so not sure how to share the new link. Can you give me a steer. Cheers

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Hi guys, sorry about the YouTube link. I'm not sure what happened to it, and I've been going through some health stuff. Hopefully all is well now. I'm going to try and upload a new video this week with an updated guide with compiled information. I'll also post the convertible top motor relocation.

Also, PM is the best way to get a hold of me quickly as I receive the PM in my email.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4

Sticky steering

Quote Originally Posted by Bmwha View Post
    Hi guys, sorry about the YouTube link. I'm not sure what happened to it, and I've been going through some health stuff. Hopefully all is well now. I'm going to try and upload a new video this week with an updated guide with compiled information. I'll also post the convertible top motor relocation.

Also, PM is the best way to get a hold of me quickly as I receive the PM in my email.
    Hi BMWHA
    I am new to the forum, and have read all you have posted regarding the sticky steering on the Z4 , I respond with much appreciation. I have a 2004 Z4 that has developed the sticky steering and it really has spoiled the enjoyment of driving an otherwise superb car. I am going to carry out the repair that you have kindly shared with us and will let you know how I get on .Have you been able to upload the Video? as it would be good to watch before I start work on the steering. Regards Gareth

My Cars
    BMW z4 2.2se
    Hi all, I am new to this forum so hopefully I am posting in the right place.
    I too have the sticky steering problem on my missus z4 2.2.
    I want to try this fix but wo6ld like to see the video first to make sure i get the correct location. Any help greatly received and appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by toesdave; 04-04-2014 at 05:34 PM.

My Cars
    BMW Z4 2006 2.0i SE
    Hi all,

Also new to the forum. My 2006 z4 2.0 SE has this nasty problem and it has ruined the enjoyment of driving my car totally. I just want to appeal for this video tutorial to be put up if still available. Thanks in advance

My Cars
    BMW z4 2.2se
    Hi Halibutbref, did you manage to fix your sticky steering problem yet?
    Just wondering as I have still not done mine.
    Cheers

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Just bought a gorgeous red 2004 Z4 2.5 with only 25,000 on the clock. The test drive obviously wasn't long enough (or hot enough) to exhibit the sticky steering problem. Unfortunately we've now discovered it and are looking into ways to rectify the problem. I have to say that I actually find the car dangerous to drive at times due the inability to accurately position the steering wheel. I find myself passing the intended steering wheel position which then points the car in a direction I never intended.

Has anyone had any success with getting BMW in the UK to replace the steering column?

Many thanks to BMWHA and everyone who has contributed to solving this problem as it must have saved many annoyed Z4 owners thousands of pounds/dollars.

I too tried accessing the Youtube video but with no success. It would be great if someone can renew this so I can get a good luck at the method of resolving the problem.

David

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 Convertible
    New to the forum and just did the BMWHA fix. (Thanks BMWHA!) Unfortunately, it's now turned rainy and cold here in Seattle so I will have to wait till next week to see if it fixes the hot weather problem. And my 2003 Z4 has it bad! Park it in the sun and you have absolutely awful steering where it sticks in position and then jerks past your intended line when it releases (Yes I wrote the NTSB and complained). Even when it's not hot, after driving it a while the steering stiffens up noticeably. I'm the second owner but with only 33k miles on my Z4 I think it's really crummy of BMW not to address an issue like this (I know, it's been said many times...)

Outside of the pain of working under the dash, the fix was pretty easy. I drilled a bit off center so I had to go a bit deeper but could see when it broke through. I enlarged the top of the hole and then used a tap to make threads for my zerk which screwed right in. No leakage of grease when I put in three shots of Valvoline Cerulean #2 grease. I chose that after reading as much as I could find on grease compatibility in general and compatibility with plastics in particular. The Cerulean is a Lithium Complex grease with mineral oil and just a single EP additive, no moly, graphite or other exotic stuff. Lithium complex seems to be the most compatible of all the grease formulas out there. I kind of wanted to use synthetic grease but found most synthetics add a whole bunch of other stuff I would worry about. So I went simple on the grease.

Initial driving impressions are the steering is a bit lighter but the real test will be what it does when it warms up. I'll check back next week and let everyone know!

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 Convertible
    Well, sad to say, it's not totally fixed. Much improved but still gets tight and sticky (but not as sticky as it used to) when parked in the sun all day. I would say it's about 50% better since I pumped in the grease but something is obviously swelling internally when hot and even with lubrication to make it slide it still drags when it swells. I plan to drive it this summer and see if the grease will work in and improve it more. Certainly the steering is lighter when the car is cold so I like the feel and would recommend the BMWHA fix for a definite improvement. Someday, I'm gonna have to spring for a new steering column I think...

My Cars
    C4, C5 Corvettes
    Scout1: How is this fixing working out after a few weeks of driving? I don't own a Z4 myself but a lady friend just acquired a 2004 with the sticky steering. After a little Googling, I quickly found this forum and thread. It looks like I'll be doing the zerk fitting fix for her or at least a shot of Rem Oil (actually CLP). She is located in Covington and I'm in Maple Valley.

Although I'm a Corvette guy, I have driven her ride and it is sweet!!
    Last edited by vulcan73; 07-10-2014 at 06:57 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Worth a look

Not sure if this will help but I’m hoping it will. See, I’ve wanted a Z4 for years and now that I can finally afford one the thought of a repair close to $3 grand on day one terrifies me! If anyone has tried this, let us know if it worked. It will help a lot of people and make my decision to get a Z4 a lot easier. Do the math – a few bucks versus a new steering column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjId3bfMBUQ

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckspot View Post
    Not sure if this will help but I’m hoping it will. See, I’ve wanted a Z4 for years and now that I can finally afford one the thought of a repair close to $3 grand on day one terrifies me! If anyone has tried this, let us know if it worked. It will help a lot of people and make my decision to get a Z4 a lot easier. Do the math – a few bucks versus a new steering column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjId3bfMBUQ
    That is fixing a completely different failure versus the problems we have with these cars... plus these are electronic power steering, so there is no fluid and thus nothing to add to a fluid reservoir.

FWIW the guy in that video never seems to know what he is talking about... most of his videos consist of him telling you about how a mechanic-in-a-can is a good product then his DIY is just pouring something into a reservoir. He is not a real mechanic and I would be wary trusting him.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    06 Z4
    One concise question:

Other than a zerk, what can I plug the 1/8th inch hole with?

I didn't have the most luck with mounting the zerk because of the awkward angle and access and so I just went with lots and lots of spraying of white lithium grease in a can (I cut the straw at 45 degrees and I did multiple applications after steering all the way left and right multiple times to try to move the grease everywhere) but I don't want to put the panel back with an open hole just left there.
    Last edited by Georgeous; 08-15-2014 at 04:56 AM.
    It's never the fuse.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i roadste
    Today I had the "Bmwha fix" applied to my 2004 Z4 3.0i by a certified indie mechanic. He used a synthetic grease that will not melt nor drip. Initially, it seems to be accurate but heavy. I'm hoping that some more hot weather and some exercise will smooth it out. May have more to report later.

My Cars
    06 Z4
    Also, just a small side note, but the panel in my car had six screws.
    It's never the fuse.

My Cars
    E46 M Sport
    I have a 2005 z4 2.5i from the Philippines with 30,000 km mileage . . . the sticky steering happened to me just this week and would like to thank bmwHa for this thread . . . sticky steering is now gone car is under observation hopefully it won't come back anymore

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0, silver
    Hello All,
    I too have a sticky steering problem on my 2003 3.0 litre Z4 roadster. I have read all the posts and would like to thank everybody for their ideas and fixes. I have got all the bits necessary to do this job but am not much good when it comes to car jobs. The first thing it seems, is to remove a panel under the steering column. I do not know exactly which panel it is as there is a lot of plastic cladding and gaps along the length of the steering column. Please could some kind person take pity on an incompetent and send me a photo of the panel and how to get it off. Also in the UK it is hard to find zerks or indeed self tapping grease nipples. I have a thread tap and standard grease nipple and am hoping this will do the job?
    Many Thanks in anticipation...

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0, silver
    Hello Bmwha,
    Again many thanks for your posts on this subject. Warm and even at times, quite hot weather in the UK (25 degrees C!)has once again produced the jerky stick/ slip steering. I am following your ideas but am stuck on the panel that needs to be removed on the steering column. I have a 2003 Z4 3.0 liter convertible. I just wondered if you had any photos from your original job which you could make available. Hope you are well,
    Many Thanks,
    All the best,
    Bill

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    Thank you BMWHA I will also attempt this fix. Any idea as to when you might repost that youtube video so I don't screw anything up?

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    This is a long-old thread, going back several years. I too was having the steering issue on my 2003 z4 3.0. just completed the mod and test drove the car. This cleared up the issue with steering completely. However, I also lubed up the steering joints under the hood with "Sea Foam, Deep Creep". I used "Slick 50" grease with "PTFE" as a lube. ( Don't think they sell this anymore) I removed the (6) phillip screws in the lower panel below the steering wheel and directly back of the air bag. Also disconnected the foot well light. The area for installing the zerk fitting is right behind and above a vent air horn under the dash. It's tight in there, but doable. Used a #3 drill and a 1/4-28 tap for the zerk and used a #30 drill for the lube channel Bmwha got it right! Follow his DIY and you will be just fine. Again this beats the $3K cost for a new steering box any day. BTW, BMW should have fixed this under a recall back when. Don't laugh Porsche is the same way. duck and dive until the warranty runs out and deny there is a problem. Is this a German thing?

Cheers,

Don

My Cars
    Z4 2.2i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by undyscobra View Post
    Well... unfortunately it didn't work for me. Just finished doing it and I've the same problem, to the same degree. Bummer... Thanks for your efforts Bmwha!!

I'm thinking that there are several different problems in these steering columns, similar but different in origin. That would make sense, at least to me.

My problem is only evident at a stop or near stop. It's heat related like a lot of people too. I get a terrible 'groaning' when steering off dead center, either left or right. You can actually feel the groaning as a vibration in the steering wheel. It doesn't require more force to turn the steering wheel during the groaning though. Once moving it's not evident at all. I've no off-center drag (requiring more force to steer) in the steering like many report at higher speeds. That was the symptom reported to the the NHTSA. My problem is at stop or near stop only.

Back to the drawing board...

Undyscobra,

I've just started getting the same problem you had with the steering, a groaning noise as you get to full lock, mine only seems to be when turning right. Did you manage to find out what caused it or a fix for it?
    I've been looking everywhere but can't seem to find any info on it.

My Cars
    '04 Z4 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by frank24 View Post
    Undyscobra,

I've just started getting the same problem you had with the steering, a groaning noise as you get to full lock, mine only seems to be when turning right. Did you manage to find out what caused it or a fix for it?
    I've been looking everywhere but can't seem to find any info on it.
    Hello!

I am lucky enough to have both the sticky steering and the "groaning school of whales" issue

I have just done the following:

Right a bit of an update for those that have this problem.

I managed to sort this out by lubricating the steering rack. If you feel the tie rod ends while someone else turns the wheel you will feel a strong vibration when the noise is audible. This vibration is transmitted from the internals of the rack.

If you remove the rubber boor on the drivers side of the rack you'll be able to see the gear teeth visible on the bottom of the rack similar to those in the following picture

Now my rack was very dry and there did not appear to be any kind of lubricant visible. I applied some copper grease to the rack teeth and applied a few lock to lock turns. To my surprise there was no more noise! I'm really pleased about this as the noise was very loud and it could be very embarrassing! To fix this for a few quid is a result in my book

So if you have this problem get yourself some copper grease and a replacement boot clip - BMW part 32111095897 £5.00 (or jubilee clip of similar size)
    Loosen drivers side wheel bolts
    Jack car up and pop it on an axle stand
    Remove rack boot
    Apply copper grease to steering rack
    Perform a few lock to lock turns
    Apply a bit more grease for good measure
    Perform a few more lock to lock turns
    Re-secure boot with new clip
    Re-apply wheel and bolts
    Lower car
    Torque wheel bolts
    Enjoy some lovely quiet steering

Obviously I don't know how long this will be effective for and a replacement rack might be a long term solution for this, but if we're lucky it might not

Either way its got to be worth a try for a few quid and 30 minutes of your time
    Taken from z4-forum

It has greatly reduced the groaning but we haven't fully dealt with it, when going from right to left sometimes I still get the groan. Going to leave it for a few more days so the grease can work its way up the rack and try again.

I got the clips mentioned above from BMW for this, they're single use though, so if you are unsure how much copper grease to apply maybe get the jubilee clips instead so you can undo them and grab the proper clips for when you're all done. Just whatever you do, don't leave the cover off as the last thing you want to get in your steering rack is rubbish from the road!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast