2003 3.0i Z4 & a 07 Z06
    Nothing more???
    2003 3.0i Z4, 2007 Z06, 2013 Yukon Denali & a 1966 LSC 427 S/C Cobra

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i e85
    Great post, going to try this as well.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Bmwha....I am now getting stickiness even in cold weather at highway speed so I'm going to try doing some lube on the column.

Can you confirm that your 'fix' is still successful? Has the sticky steering returned to your car or do you thing you have the fix nailed down with the grease nipple?

Any chance of another picture showing a bit more of the under dash area so I can better see exactly where you added the nipple?

Thanks...

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Hey,

I'll definitely take some more pics tomorrow--it's already dark here; however, it's working great and I haven't touched it again.

Jet Black 6 Speed '03 Z4 3.0i, Atlanta Blue 6 Speed '03 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue '97 Z3

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Thanks Bmwha...I await your photos

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csf2ahHS-c&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Made a video. Let me know how it plays

Jet Black 6 Speed '03 Z4 3.0i, Atlanta Blue 6 Speed '03 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue '97 Z3

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Nicely done thank you

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    No prob. Hope it helps.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0
    Thanks for the hard work Bmwha! couple of questions: why are we disconnecting the battery? Also, what kind of grease are you using? in the video it looks like it might be starting to dribble out of the void, might want to wipe that before it lands on your tan interior. Maybe a slightly thicker grease would alleviate the problem, something like a white lithium grease maybe. just a thought.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    I disconnect the battery out of habit--just a good practice when I'm down there with wires and lights etc. The grease is just standard grease gun grease; it's actually thick enough to where it doesn't drip. However, the panel would prevent it from dripping I think if it did (I did wipe it up though after).

My Cars
    1990 911C2, 1989 CRX
    Bmwha thanks for your work diagnosing this problem. I encountered this tonight for the first time after driving top down with heaters on blast for about 2 hours. I pulled over and disconnected the EPS fuse. Still felt notchy, leading me to believe this is truly a mechanical problem with the worm gears and not an electronics problem as been noted elsewhere.

Wondering if you're still steering smoothly and ALSO wondering if you could have just opened the column up near where you drilled and lubed it. Is it easy to crack open the wormgear case there?

The car is a 2003 z4 2.5i

Thanks again
    Last edited by donoman; 12-28-2012 at 03:33 AM.
    o>'o Share the road.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Hey, I'm still steering smooth--haven't touched it since I greased it. I chose the fitting in that location because it allows me to lubricate all of the parts (not just those in the case).

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Interesting article and great video DIY. Thank you for taking the time.

I have this issue come up some years back and the local BMW dealership diagnosed it as a steering column failure. BMW replaced the steering column under warranty. However, I'm keeping this DIY in mind if in the future, the same trouble rears back up again.
    Sursum Ab Ordine

My Cars
    Z4 3.0i 2003
    Hi,

Special Thanks for BMWha and greetings from Finland. I have nothing to lose, so I will try this fix. I'll let know after after 3-4 months (need to get rid of snow first ) if it worked.

Take care...

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwha View Post
    I recently purchased two '03 Z4 3.0i's for my son and me. Living in Florida, it is in the 90s every day. When purchased, my car's steering did slightly stick. As time went on, the steering stuck so much the car became difficult to drive. This drove me to take matters in my own hands after reporting the flaw to highway safety. Being a mechanic my whole life, enough was enough. This is how I fixed mine-- yours may be different and this guide is for informational purposes only. I take no responsibility for anything you do on your own, this serves as educational information to the community. Try at your own risk.

1) After several hours of investigating the location of the problem, I disconnected the battery.

2) I moved the driver's seat as far back as possible before disconnecting.

3) I then removed the panel below the airbag panel. It has 4 screws.

4) Disconnected interior light wires and moved the panel aside.

5) The steering column is made in two pieces. The upper and lower part. I located where the two aluminum housings bolt together.

6) I then took a 1/8" drill bit and drilled a hole exactly dead center where the upper and lower housing come together. When drilling through the aluminum, the drill drills quickly through the aluminum and kind of comes to a stop. At this point, I feel the drill bit hitting the post. Stop before going through the post.

7) Acquire a long shanked grease fitting (these are self tapping).

8)In my case, I then bored that original hole with a 7/64" drill bit about 1/8" deep to expand the beginning of the hole to accommodate the grease fitting.

9) Started the grease fitting with a ratchet and socket while holding it straight and turning at the same time until the fitting starts to seat itself. Took about two turns.

10) Then, I got my grease gun, pumped 2 squirts of grease (this may vary, try 1 pump and go from there) and reassembled the car.

11) Problem fixed for over a month and the steering is smooth again. If the problem arises again, grease again.

Let me know if you have any questions. I can't put up pics because I'm new but I'll be glad to email you them.
    Sent from my iPad using BF.com

My Cars
    2004 bmw z4
    G'day Bmwha ive got the same notchy steering problem in my e85 Z4 Downunder .. any chance of those photos you were talking about? Just so i know i get the right spot to drill .. If so its Johno. santafe8@westnet.com.au cheers mate and send as many as want, i am bleeding big time over this.

My Cars
    BMW Z4 2.0I 2005
    Hi Bmwha
    I recently bought a Z4 2.0I (sept 2005) and during the test drive in winter time (+2 degr C°) the owner told me the car is suffering from steering problem due to
    tire size (255x45x17) at the rear axle. Meanwhile we are spring time (in Belgium) and the problem of sticky steering increased particular when temperatures are rising
    Prior buying the vehicle I have arranged a full diagnostic in a specialized center including test drive and they found no remarks
    Next monday 22/04/2013 the car is undergoing service treatment and my mechanic has already purchased a grease fitting to perform same intervention you did
    In this respect would like to know your experiences after almost 1 year , thanks yr feedback and best regards from Belgium

- - - Updated - - -

Did it work with the grease fitting ? appreciate to share your experiences

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Hi! Regards! Steering is still working great! Haven't touched it since. I'll also be posting some more tutorials very soon. Top hinge repair, top motor relocation, and some other repairs/mods. Let me know how it works. Best of luck!

My Cars
    BMW Z4 2.0I 2005
    Thanks! will try tomorrow, keep you posted Best regards

My Cars
    z4 2004/328 coupe 2009
    hallo mengels
    zou jij me willen vertellen of het echt werkt ik zit met het zelfde probleem

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    I'm interested as well. I wonder if European/American cars have different problems. Or if several problems with similar symptoms exist. How'd it go Mengels?

My Cars
    Z4 3.0i 2003
    Hi,

Hi,

I tried that last night (no test drive yet) and I have one question related to this statement:"the drill drills quickly through the aluminum and kind of comes to a stop. At this point, I feel the drill bit hitting the post. Stop before going through the post."
    How deep you with drill until you hit the post? I think that I drilled somehow not in the same angle as you did; I think that I was not able to hit the post .

Otherwise the drilling spot was easy to find; everything looks the same with European with USA models.

Br, Timo

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    I believe it be about 1.5"--if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by tvierima View Post
    Hi,

Hi,

I tried that last night (no test drive yet) and I have one question related to this statement:"the drill drills quickly through the aluminum and kind of comes to a stop. At this point, I feel the drill bit hitting the post. Stop before going through the post."
    How deep you with drill until you hit the post? I think that I drilled somehow not in the same angle as you did; I think that I was not able to hit the post .

Otherwise the drilling spot was easy to find; everything looks the same with European with USA models.

Br, Timo

My Cars
    Z4 3.0i 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwha View Post
    I believe it be about 1.5"--if I remember correctly.
    Hi ,

Thanks for information, that's really deep. So I'm not there yet, I need continue drilling 1.5" = 38mm; so I was only about 15mm deep and lost my faith ...I need to continue until hit the post...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast