Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Sticky/Clunky Steering Fix

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i

DIY Sticky/Clunky Steering Fix

This guide is a compilation of work by me and other members. It is recommended you read the entire thread before proceeding; however, I have appended the most relevant material below. A big thank you to everyone, especially Stromtech (who has been with this from the beginning), for making this fix possible. If it works for you, please let us know in the post.

DISCLAIMER:
    This is how I fixed mine-- yours may be different and this guide is for informational purposes only. I take no responsibility for anything you do on your own; this serves as educational information to the community. Try at your own risk.

Original Method:

1) After several hours of investigating the location of the problem, I disconnected the battery.

2) I moved the driver's seat as far back as possible before disconnecting.

3) I then removed the panel below the airbag panel. It has 4 screws.

4) Disconnected interior light wires and moved the panel aside.

5) The steering column is made in two pieces. The upper and lower part. I located where the two aluminum housings bolt together.

6) I then took a 1/8" drill bit and drilled a hole exactly dead center where the upper and lower housing come together. When drilling through the aluminum, the drill drills quickly through the aluminum and kind of comes to a stop. At this point, I feel the drill bit hitting the post. Stop before going through the post. I drilled about 5/8" or approximately 15.8mm.

7) Acquire a long-shanked grease fitting (these are self tapping).

8) In my case, I then bored that original hole with a 7/64" drill bit about 1/8" deep to expand the beginning of the hole to accommodate the grease fitting.

9) Started the grease fitting with a ratchet and socket while holding it straight and turning at the same time until the fitting starts to seat itself. Took about two turns.

10) Then, I got my grease gun, pumped 2 squirts of grease (this may vary, try 1 pump and go from there) and reassembled the car.

11) Problem fixed for over a year and the steering is smooth again. If the problem arises again, grease again.

Other Modifications/Adaptions/Information from Members:

From Tvierima:
    Pumped three times the grease (Redline CV-2) and test drive taken.

I used 3mm drill bit until I hit the post and after that I used 6.8mm drill for the 8 mm grease fitting (appr 8-9mm deep). My grease fitting was not the longer one, so I need to take some material off with dremel tool from the lower housing part to level the grease fitting nicely. Yes, just drill from lying on the floor looking up exactly in the center ( I missed the central point, but it worked ) of the joint and drill as it want to go aligning with joint.

From Stromtech:
    Glen...I tried a similar idea, drilled the hole and then inserted a spray tube and shot some Rem Oil (Remington Gun Oil with silicon) into the area. It has made a considerable difference. I don't get the stick on center nightmare I had before so driving in a straight line at speed is now a pleasure. The steering just feels a touch heavier after parking in the hot sun, but much smoother and not sticky.

I think adding the Zerk and pumping in grease would force lube into areas that spraying does not get to. My first spray did nothing so I cut the end of the straw at 45 degrees and rotated the can while I sprayed. That did the trick as it sprayed more to the side. I'll try a couple more spray shots as I prefer using a thin oil. I am concerned grease might dry up and be impossible to remove later.

But this does show that Bmwha has nailed the problem. Scottie seems to have found another drilling location but no pics yet to show exactly where to drill...not sure if his car is the same as I don't know what a 55 plate 2.0 is. I don't see the spot Scottie talked about when I'm sitting in the drivers seat...but again Scottie's solution indicates that the problem can be resolved with lube.

Natspar...I shot the lube for about 10 seconds and then rotated the straw and did another 10...

Since my last post I have not had any sticky or notchy steering and it has been very hot here.....the only thing I have noticed, and it could be because I am constantly feeling for trouble, is the steering feels a bit heavier after the car parked in the hot sun...not sticky or notchy, just seems a bit heavier. That's why I intend to blast some more Rem Oil in there... quite a bit drips out after spraying so best to put some rags down on the carpet.
    Overall, I am now very happy with the way it is ...time will tell how long it lasts but if I have to spray some oil once a year it's a far cry from replacing the steering column. I left the under dash panel off for now.

Yes, from what I have read on the NHTSA site, BMW re-engineered the steering column in June 2006 with increased tolerances and changed to a new lubricant. I suspect the tightness we feel is due to the tolerance issue and the column is binding when something expands in the heat. The lubricant has taken away the notchy stick on center feel which is a vast improvement. The car is once more fun to drive.
    I also noticed the car getting better each day so perhaps it's taken a bit of time for the oil to work it's way into the right places...I plan to blast more in soon and see if there is any further improvement. With the under dash panel off it's very easy, only a couple of minutes to shoot some in.

From natspar:
    The 45 degree cut was a perfect solution. It's cold and rainy today so I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the details.

From Z Vier:
    I too have the stickysteering problem with my 2004 Z4. During the summer in Virginia it is at its worst. Thanks to BMWHA for apparently solving the problem. My only concern is that those who have tried it are introducing a variety of lubricants into the steering gear that may not be compatible with the components. BMW changed to Kyodo Yushi Multemp SC-U in 2006 but I have not been able to find a source for this grease in the US. I want to try this fix but I am concerned that regular auto grease or other products may damage the gears. The Kyodo website lists this product as "High-temperature long-life grease for plastic parts. Contains special plastic lubricity improver and effectively reduces friction of plastic gearsexposed to high surface pressure. Suitable for EPS plastic gears."

From RedZ404:
    Performed Bmwha fix yesterday - had been dealing with the stickysteering off/on, but was leery of drilling into the column. However, given $3500+ repair or 30mins of time to try to resolve squirreling steering, chose the latter. I went with Stromtech version using Rem Oil w/ 45 degree cut to spray tube. Left car sitting in sun all day (although sunny, temp was only around 68 degrees NY). Interior hot but not as hot as say on 80+ degree days when problem really noticeable. Drove for around 1/2 hour and did not notice any stiffness nor tightness, but will continue to monitor. To all on this thread, especially Bmwha, thanks! Technical details - used 1/8" drill bit, centered to 5/8" depth. When I sprayed the lube, heard the fluid going inside, only a little dripped back out of hole. Going to leave under dash panel off for now in case I need to spray more.

Answered Questions by me and other members:

Originally Posted by Stromtech
    Bmwha...Can I assume #8 is a typo and you expanded it to 9/64" from 1/8" which is 8/64? Any particular reason the entire hole could not be 9/64"?

Thanks...

As long as the grease fitting can make its own threads in the hole without falling out, you're good. Pictures and video are posted in the thread. Let me know if you need more.
    Last edited by Bmwha; 07-24-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Originally Posted by z4iowa
    Looking for a little help. I drilled a hole in the spot that was indicated 5/8" deep. It did not appear to go all the way through housing to the rod. My hole was a little off center so would I need to go deeper to get to the rod? I like the idea of the spray but I'm guessing if the hole is opened up to the actual rod it won't do any good. I'm a little hesitant to go further without clarification. Thanks

When I was through the soft metal the drill bit hit the steering shaft which is hard steel...You will know when you are through because the drill will be reluctant to go further. If you are dead center or close to the center you will hit the post after getting through the 5/8 soft metal. I'm guessing the shaft is at least one inch so you would have to be way off center to miss it but the further off center the deeper the shaft will be. Use a 1/8 or slightly larger bit such as 9/64 and it will provide lots of room for the spray straw to be wiggled about.

My steering is like new again, no stickysteering, no notchy steering and after the lube has now worked in, no tighter steering when hot anymore. I'm ready to re-install the under dash panel...that's how confident I am that this will last. If I have to do it once a year I consider it nothing compared to three thousand plus dollars. Bmwha nailed this problem.

Steering (1).jpgSteering2.jpggrease fitting.jpg
    Last edited by Bmwha; 03-11-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Updated

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Good post! So perhaps it's just a problem with the electric assist gears getting dry?
    Chris

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    I didn't take it apart to check--the easiest way to get lubrication down there was to add the fitting. I don't think it's the gears, I think it's the white nylon bushing that's binding up.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    I am very interested in your fix for the sticky steering and I would appreciate if you can send me some photos of where you drilled and installed the grease fitting
    I will be great if this can fix the problem.

please PM me and I'll give you my email. I tried sending you a message but you have the option turned off

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    I can't PM because of posts. I sent you an email. Let me know if it works.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Thanks...got the email

I appreciate the picture....worth a thousand words as they say

I'll try that next spring...did you use a standard zerk?

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Can you post the pics?
    Chris

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    PM sent
    Last edited by Bmwha; 09-24-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Got pm privileges

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Here...compliments of Bmwha
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    I would guess that (based on the location), the electric assist drive gears are getting dry and sticking. Thus this grease fitting is allowing the replenishment of lubrication.
    Chris

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    I sure wish I knew what the inside of that casing looks like...where does the grease end up? What is the purpose of the white nylon bushing?

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Bmwha...I found this picture on the NHTSA website in the documents submitted by BMW during the investigation...can you describe where your grease fitting is located in this picture?

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Another view from the same documents

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    It looks like everything in 8,9 and 2 is being lubricated. I'm sending you more pics.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Great...I'll post them here when they arrive

Thanks

My Cars
    2003 3.0i Z4 & a 07 Z06
    My 03 Z4 steering column "groans" at low speeds, especially in reverse. I'm thinking this is just a symptom variation of the same root problem. I'm very interested in further pictures and information.
    2003 3.0i Z4, 2007 Z06, 2013 Yukon Denali & a 1966 LSC 427 S/C Cobra

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    I like where this thread is headed....I have added the names of the parts to the diagram I posted earlier in this PDF
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    englishdchs.edublogs

.org/files/2012/09/20120924-211302.jpg

I spaces the link if someone would upload that would be awesome.
    Last edited by Bmwha; 09-24-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster

Uploaded
    Chris

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Here you go...

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Thanks. Sid that help?

Thanks. Did that help?
    Last edited by Bmwha; 09-24-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    It's a good shot thanks....I'll give your fix a try next summer when it starts acting up again in the heat and sun...that's the only time of year I'll know if it improves the problem.
    I appreciate you posting your solution and getting those pictures to the forum.

My Cars
    2003 3.0i Z4 & a 07 Z06
    I'm having a bit of a problem visualizing just where the drilled hole and zerk goes. It would appear to be drilled between the top of #8 and the axle tube flange (piece not numbered).

Clarification anyone??
    2003 3.0i Z4, 2007 Z06, 2013 Yukon Denali & a 1966 LSC 427 S/C Cobra

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    I'll take some more shots tonight

Jet Black 6 Speed '03 Z4 3.0i, Atlanta Blue 6 Speed '03 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue '97 Z3

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Sorry guys, I'll have some up soon. I've been busy trying to find a short.

Jet Black 6 Speed '03 Z4 3.0i, Atlanta Blue 6 Speed '03 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue '97 Z3

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast