Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What sounds better, 2 10" subs or 1 12" sub???

My Cars
    98 bmw 323is
    well i guess it all depends on what type of set-up you would like..and also is weight going to play a factor >? 10 w7 weighs in at a hefty 40+ lbs personaly i would run 2 10w6 v2 and a 1000/1 amp..sealed encloser about 1.25 cubic ft per sub..
    Thats why the call it"The ultimate driving machine"

My Cars
    BMW E3
    I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.

Here's my two-cents.

When you are talking about 2-10's vs 1-12" sub the general thought is "the 12 will go lower, but the 10's will hit harder". Which is usually a correct comparison, IF you are talking about the same model speaker. However, even with the same manufacturer there is significant difference. For example assuming Kicker is the brand (my favorite brand, btw)

The 10" 10C104 has a freq response of 30 - 500 Hz, and the 12" (10C124) publishes 27 - 500 Hz. This minor 3 Hz difference may never be noticed by a human ear. And it can certainly be adjusted with a good amp. Basically, the 12" may publish lower Hz, but you won't hear the difference. There's another unit that is measured on subs called the "Fs" frequency, (the natural frequency the sub resonates in free air). Comparing the Comp 10" and 12" there still is only a 3 Hz difference. Which IMHO, you won't notice.

However, with the amp you have, neither of these subs would work anyway. You'll need something that can handle the power, which put's you to the higher end Comp Series or the Solo-Baric series. In those, the frequency response is very similar between the 10" and 12" woofers. (the 10" 10CVR104, 12" 10CVR124, 10" 11S10L34, and 12" 11S12L34 all have a frequency range of 25 - 500 Hz, with very similar power ratings). The Fs on these subs are similar as well, all hovering around 32 Hz with the exception of the 10" 10CVR104 (a disappointing 43 Hz).

Notice that the higher end 10" subs have a lower frequency response than the less-expensive 12". And the higher end 10"s have basically the same frequency response as the 12"s. Therefore, frequency response really doesn't play heavy into this equation. I have an 8" pioneer sub and a 10" Rockford sub that I keep swapping out to try and determine which will be permanently mounted in the jeep. The 8" pioneer hits way lower than the 10" Rockford. It can handle the really deep bass notes that just disappear with the 10". However, the 10" can make the kick drum seem like it's sitting in the back. I love that! Oh the dilemma.

The bottom line, in my humble opinion is keyed off of what was mentioned above, two 10" subs give you 20" of cone moving and one 12" just gives you 12" (obviously). The two 10"s are going to hit harder, if you care about that. When my nephew was asking this same question earlier this year he decided to go with the 2 10"'s just for the volume. He's still young enough to want other people to hear him from far away. I'm a little older and care more about the sound quality. If you care about other's hearing you, the 10"s will be good.

What you mentioned about space in the jeep makes me lean toward a single 12" for you. The Solo-Baric 12" like this https://atfulldrive.com/best-car-subwoofer requires a 1.25 cf box, the two 10"s will require 2.0 cf of space, making the box a lot larger. Just something to consider. Besides, a 12" is more than enough!

I'm in the process of designing a removable box for under the back seat (for the 8" or 10" mentioned above). Not sure if there is enough space for the 12" under there and still make it removable. But once I get the design finished if the 12" would fit I'll share it with you. I'm trying to get the sub in the passenger area b/c when I go topless it can't keep up.
    There are a lot of useful videos on this subject on Youtube.Hope this helps someone. Good luck!
    Last edited by Daprit; 08-30-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12