Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NOTORIOUS VR's E36 328is turbo build

My Cars
    turbo m3
    I know this question may seem stupid...

BUT, I thought originally the feed was on the front side and the return on the back? If so, why did you change?
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    So nice... A running, tunable car.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    S54/E36 ; E30 ; Saab
    Nice work homie.
    #E36-S54 #CSLWannabe

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    For whatever reason I am unable to see the last two posts in this thread... sweet forum software... and now I can after posting this...
    Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 11-09-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: BFC is ancient

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    For whatever reason I am unable to see the last two posts in this thread... sweet forum software... and now I can after posting this...
    same here.. its been killing keeps saying there is a new post.. so i go to look and see if there is an update. but no more post.. aha
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

My Cars
    none
    That was fast!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    I like the stainless boost reference line, I will be doing the same after having two over boost situations do to boost line issues.

PS replace that coolant reservoir before it pops and wrecks all your hard work. As a rule of thumb, if it's not white any more, replace it.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Are you going to go with a welded banjo directly from the WG port or a silicon/rubber connector from the standard banjo hosebarb to the steel piping?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb

Are you going to go with a welded banjo directly from the WG port or a silicon/rubber connector from the standard banjo hosebarb to the steel piping?
    I will probably use a rubber hose to connect the line to the waste gate and will use constant tension clamps. I had a Ty-wrap fail and the hose came off causing one of my over boosts. The other happened when the hose running near the turbo was burnt when the turbo mount nuts became loose. Tracks days test the reliability of your set up a lot more that the street ever would.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3
    I know this question may seem stupid...

BUT, I thought originally the feed was on the front side and the return on the back? If so, why did you change?
    Sent from my iPhone 5 using BF.com
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Well with all good things come some bad things...

Yesterday a buddy helped me get my exhaust system finished.. really happy with the way it turned out and more happy how it sounds... sounds really really good and aggressive which is what I was going for... yet a clean sound.

Today I finished up all the misc VAC lines to the WG/boost controller and lines to the VAC block and BOV.

Bled the cooling system (that was a PITA because everything was bone dry)... and took the car for it's maiden voyage around the complex a few times.. All felt weel and I needed gas so I put in the old headlights and just as I was pulling out of the complex I hear a bunch of noise from the front end.. looking back I was loosing coolant and the motor was vibrating like crazy. Pulled over popped the hood and found that the overflow hose was wrapped around the fan blade, multiple blades were missing and the brand new rad had major dents in the a few spots...

No idea what caused this. My guess is that the overflow hose that runs between the top of the rad and the fan shroud drooped down or something... the fan caught it and the rest is history.

Kinda bummed about it since the car was running/driving so well... tomorrow the new fan and expansion tank is going to be at the shop...
    Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 06-16-2013 at 12:44 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I'm sorry to hear this but worse things have happened. You'll be boosting in no time.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    ^^ True, hoping to get the car sorted today and on the dyno by this weekend...

forgot to put up some pics of the exhaust system, excuse the poor lighting...

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 06-16-2013 at 12:45 PM.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    nICE CARNAGE- WHEW

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Got a pic a few hours ago from the shop.. an awesome friend of mine stopped by and he and the shop owner decided to swap in the new parts for me... only thing left to do is connect my SPAL fan and finish bleeding the system again.

Big thanks to Gary (MadTech) and Robbie @ RS Autosports

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Got a pic a few hours ago from the shop.. an awesome friend of mine stopped by and he and the shop owner decided to swap in the new parts for me... only thing left to do is connect my SPAL fan and finish bleeding the system again. and take some videos
    Fixed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

My Cars
    e30
    I was going to say, perfect excuse for an electric fan upgrade. You beat me to it though!

Bummer about the fan, but things will be better now.

I assume you are controlling the fan through VEMS?
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    1995 325is
    How much boost/power can the stock bottom end handle??

My Cars
    BMWs
    How are you controlling the electric fan? I need to put one on my e30 swap.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    So when is the clutch fan going back in?

though without ambient air temp comparisons we may never KNOW
    if the mech/clutch fan "cools better" than a SPAL in THAT location.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    I used the stock E30 wiring for my larger Spal mounted on the condenser. The smaller fan in installed on the engine side is controlled by a 190* temp sensor I put in the upper radiator hose. Make sure you get a super low profile fan. I bought one of the lowest profile and I still have to cut the threads off my water pump... Not much room in swapped E30.
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    I was going to say, perfect excuse for an electric fan upgrade. You beat me to it though!

Bummer about the fan, but things will be better now.

I assume you are controlling the fan through VEMS?
    I had the SPAL from my Audi, and was originally going to put it in but then I didn't really like that only part of the rad is effected by the fan (when mounting directly to the rad) so then I tried to make a shroud for it but the fan is too deep (the motor) to mount off of the rad.

So I decided to put the clutch fan on in the mean time and then decide later what to do about it.

Yes the fan is controlled by the VEMS.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEE36Hunter View Post
    How much boost/power can the stock bottom end handle??
    No idea... I assume 450-500whp shouldn't be an issue

through the VEMS ECU.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Welp.... tuning got put off... after the entire issue of the fan destroying everything around it and having a hell of a time trying to bleed the system, yesterday I pulled out the WP (brand new Bosch) on after the motor wanted to constantly over heat and lack of coolant flow.... I figure something happened to it when the manual fan destroyed itself and shocked it or something.

so in the mean time I put on my wheels...

255/35's
    Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 06-16-2013 at 12:46 PM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Perfect time to put in Stewart Warner pump!

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Perfect time to put in Stewart Warner pump!
    While I was made aware of this Stewart Warner pump the other day, I will leave that for another day... Come Monday I will be putting back a stock/Bosch pump for now and getting this thing tuned and out of the shop...

the SW pump will make it on my list though and maybe even into my car before Spring/Summer

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    I'm a big fan of vibrant mufflers, I have one that I will be using for my turbo build, I'm curious as to how yours sounds, sad to see you put a muffler in the middle

Build looks great and im glad you ditched the stock fan.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast