Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NOTORIOUS VR's E36 328is turbo build

My Cars
    e30
    Good info on the cam sensor. Some day I hope to mess with an engine made later than the early 90s, so I can put this to use
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
    See ya there!
    What will you be in? Where ya staying? Outcast meet!
    Going down in a buddies GLI on Bentley's We're @ the Astoria

Quote Originally Posted by Kame36sedan View Post
    ill be there.. if it doesn't rain were doing a bonfire on the beach at asseatique island!
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by gstuning View Post
    Hey Notorious VR.

Here is what the scope signal looks like,
    You can see it switches frequency at the same place every cycle. Should be simple to make the ecu use it.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?pa...BigMotronicPin
    Hey Gunni, was hoping you would have something to say about this lol.

Jorgen said he will be looking into it as well, he told me to give him a week and he would be able to figure out how to make it work with the VEMS.

I'm going to forward him this info since you've already scoped it.

Do you think the input would be Hall or VR for this Siemens sensor?

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    Can we get some pics to show this AC bracket and what it does or how it moves the AC stuff in comparison to stock? That would be super cool!
    From bobs original post. Looks very simple, but I do not see a tensioner. Looks like it moves the compressor down, which confuses me since I ran my intercooler piping just beneath the compressor when using the stock compressor bracket (trimmed a bit of course).

Last edited by cragg56; 09-26-2012 at 01:19 PM.

My Cars
    none
    That picture is making my head hurt LOL

My Cars
    quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Hey Joaquin, yeah after the S4 was gone decided on something else to build up, what brings you to the dark side lol...
    Well, I have always been part of the dark side, I went from a Turbo 328i to my first S4 and the rest is history

I currently own a e46 M and a e30

Anyway, I'm happy to see you here, I'm sure you will make something really good come out of this like you did with the B5S4 scene, without your sig link I would not be where I am!

Good luck with everything!
    Last edited by GWerks; 09-26-2012 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    e30isT, b18c5 coupe

Nice!
    Sounds good man. Maybe see ya on the strip. I'll be on lookout for you from a black vr mk1 gti

[ 1990 325is Turbo ]
    "..a true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so totally sick
    that the act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster."
    -Tony DeFeo

My Cars
    E30 325i

Nice!

Hey Gunni, was hoping you would have something to say about this lol.

Jorgen said he will be looking into it as well, he told me to give him a week and he would be able to figure out how to make it work with the VEMS.

I'm going to forward him this info since you've already scoped it.

Do you think the input would be Hall or VR for this Siemens sensor?
    When I think about it I didnt note the voltage, although from the picture it seems it swings from +Xv to -Xv so vr would work (it seems).

Let me see if I can find that trace as a saved .csv file and IŽll check.

IŽm also not sure how a single tooth on the cam is able to make it change frequency every revolution unless the ecu is doing something to the input voltage 360° after the frequency change to reset the sensor to low frequency or vice versa. Maybe IŽll try and bench run this sensor and see how it behaves.
    With great challenges comes great engineering.
    Gunni - IG : @gstuning_ & @pnpecu
    DonŽt PM ME, I wonŽt see it

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by GWerks View Post
    Well, I have always been part of the dark side, I went from a Turbo 328i to my first S4 and the rest is history

I currently own a e46 M and a e30

Anyway, I'm happy to see you here, I'm sure you will make something really good come out of this like you did with the B5S4 scene, without your sig link I would not be where I am!

Good luck with everything!
    haha... looks like the roles have reversed this time :P

Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
    Sounds good man. Maybe see ya on the strip. I'll be on lookout for you from a black vr mk1 gti
    Well that should narrow it down lol... sounds good dude, be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by gstuning View Post
    When I think about it I didnt note the voltage, although from the picture it seems it swings from +Xv to -Xv so vr would work (it seems).

Let me see if I can find that trace as a saved .csv file and IŽll check.

IŽm also not sure how a single tooth on the cam is able to make it change frequency every revolution unless the ecu is doing something to the input voltage 360° after the frequency change to reset the sensor to low frequency or vice versa. Maybe IŽll try and bench run this sensor and see how it behaves.
    It seems like BMW depicted it as a VR sensor, but I truly don't understand it's format. Jorgen said he will scope and measure a stock M52 powered E36 so maybe that will us some needed info as well.

Anyway, moving on....

Yesterday I started to clean the entire engine bay.... luckily there was none of that was stuff anywhere, just some oil and dirt...

Some good old Easy Off and engine degreaser and some elbow grease with a brush and the bay came out looking brand new!

Before...

After...

Also a big order of parts... rad, tie rod ends, engine mounts, thermostat, WP, seals, etc, etc...

That's about it for now, after H2Oi the head should be back and I'll be starting reassembly of the motor with the S52 cams, MLS, and starting on the wiring for the VEMS.
    Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 06-16-2013 at 11:50 AM.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Time for another update... After a good time @ H2Oi this year, I came back needing/wanting to finish my project after being without my car there this year.

So I started with picking up some goodies that I ordered for myself that were waiting @ the border for about a week.

UUC Twin disc:

S52 cams:

PTP Turbo blanket and heat wrap for the DP and SPA manifold:

Of course I dug right in to wrap the manifold... was my first time wrapping and most of it went well except for when I got to the collector area, that was a disaster. Not much of a way to wrap it properly though, so I did the best I could...

The next day I prepped the deck with 400 grit...

installed the ARP's...

and then the Cometic and freshly straightened and refreshed cylinder head and TQ'd the studs...

That's how I left it for the night, and to let everything settle and re-check the TQ of the studs tomorrow.

and starting this evening, I checked all the of studs all were perfectly still @ 85 ft-lbs. With that out of the way, I proceeded to install the intake camshaft...

and then the exhaust cam...

lubed it up some more...

timing chain...

everything set...

annnnd, that was it because I forgot to order the VANOS cover gasket... soooo, tomorrow is another day and I hope to get that all buttoned up
    Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 06-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    For what its worth I have the Federal 595RS-R on my BiTurbo M3, putting down almost 500lbs at 3600 rpm. They are holding up great on the street, starting to grip in 3rd gear. 245/35 front and 255/35 rear on 18x8.5 on all 4 corners.

I have not tried them on a track though, but I can imagine that they will not hold up as well as the Michelin CUP or the Toyo R888's.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

3.0L S50B32 EURO Single Vanos with ITB's and Twin Garret GT2252 Turbo
    VEMS Standalone (www.vems.hu) most features enabled.
    Brakes, suspention, rollcage, seats, harness, wheels and tires.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Awesome pace man!

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Time for another update... After a good time @ H2Oi this year, I came back needing/wanting to finish my project after being without my car there this year.

So I started with picking up some goodies that I ordered for myself that were waiting @ the border for about a week.

UUC Twin disc:

S52 cams:

PTP Turbo blanket and heat wrap for the DP and SPA manifold:

Of course I dug right in to wrap the manifold... was my first time wrapping and most of it went well except for when I got to the collector area, that was a disaster. Not much of a way to wrap it properly though, so I did the best I could...

The next day I prepped the deck with 400 grit...

installed the ARP's...

and then the Cometic and freshly straightened and refreshed cylinder head and TQ'd the studs...

That's how I left it for the night, and to let everything settle and re-check the TQ of the studs tomorrow.

and starting this evening, I checked all the of studs all were perfectly still @ 85 ft-lbs. With that out of the way, I proceeded to install the intake camshaft...

and then the exhaust cam...

lubed it up some more...

timing chain...

everything set...

annnnd, that was it because I forgot to order the VANOS cover gasket... soooo, tomorrow is another day and I hope to get that all buttoned up
    I see you've stumbled upon my secret sauce machine shop... It makes sense because I was talking with Dominic(the owner) the other day and told me he had machined a head like mine! Those guys there are amazing, they take long but they do it right the first time

My Cars
    you guys go there?

lol hes not so secret

and nice cayenne calipers up front. lol 8 piston. redonk. can they squeeze under 17s? looks like it to me since you used a regular e46m rotor?

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    GT110 good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by e30kid89 View Post
    I see you've stumbled upon my secret sauce machine shop... It makes sense because I was talking with Dominic(the owner) the other day and told me he had machined a head like mine! Those guys there are amazing, they take long but they do it right the first time
    Yeah actually my buddy who owns the shop where I'm doing this project uses them. So far I've only heard very good things about Astro. My head was badly bowed and needed to be complete disassembled and straightened. Apparently it's a common issue with the straight 6. So I'm hoping after everything I won't have issues with the HG sealing.

Quote Originally Posted by breakfast View Post
    you guys go there?

lol hes not so secret

and nice cayenne calipers up front. lol 8 piston. redonk. can they squeeze under 17s? looks like it to me since you used a regular e46m rotor?
    I highly doubt they will fit under anything under 18's. It's a 350mm setup and with multi piston calipers that take up quite a bit of space there will be no room.

My Cars
    Turbo e36 M3
    You are raising the bar with this build, james cameron.

PT6262 - SPA Mani- NickG Tuning - TiAl - CES Cut-Ring - Blood Sweat & Tears
    PT6262 Budget Build!! | CES Cut-Ring Install Thread

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by cmzwirner
    You are raising the bar with this build, james cameron.
    ROFL
    You know I caught that one.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    skateboard
    Very nice. I assume this will be using the pnp VEMS?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Very nice. I assume this will be using the pnp VEMS?
    There is no pnp VEMS for the M/S5x, I'll be doing a straight wire in using the OE harness though. I've decided I will never go back to the Siemens ECU so I will slim down the OE harness and use it as is.

My Cars
    oh 345mm rotors..I assumed stock 325 e46m rotors.

probably wont fit a 17. those are massive calipers.
    as for warped heads...if the engine has over heated...aluminum head and iron block...they dont like that.

I will definitely want to see this car in person when done

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by breakfast View Post
    oh 345mm rotors..I assumed stock 325 e46m rotors.

probably wont fit a 17. those are massive calipers.
    as for warped heads...if the engine has over heated...aluminum head and iron block...they dont like that.

I will definitely want to see this car in person when done
    Should fit. I run 348mm with wilwood 6 pistons. Generally, the more pistons, the lower profile the caliper.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i E90
    Looks great

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Kinda smallish update... it's Thanksgiving long weekend here so not much work has been done.

I did manage to pick up some solid round aluminum stock from my buddy Marco @ SEM Motorsports, and went to my work on Sat night to spin up some injector spacers on the lathe.

As some might know when using ID's with a stock fuel rail & M50 mani, the injectors are slightly too short, and could move down which leaves the top o-ring in the rail to be right at the end and possibly have a fuel leak. Since we don't like or want potential fuel leaks, I took up the slack by machining some spacers that will not allow the injectors to move.

• Outer dia: 19mm
    • Inner dia: 13.3mm
    • Thickness: 3.3mm

We have two lathes at my work that the service guys use, this is a small one (belt driven as you can see) but it works quite well with smaller things and softer materials like aluminum.

Started with round stock:

Once I reached 19mm outside diameter, time to get the inside to the proper size... 2 step process:

final 13mm drill:

and then slice them off at the thickness I required:

I did have to mill the inside of them open slightly which I didn't show (for a final opening of 13.3mm) but that's only because it was getting late and I wanted to go home lol.

Anyway, here is the finished product...

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 06-16-2013 at 11:57 AM.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    So on Tuesday, I decided to tackle the wiring... I knew it was a pretty big job ahead of me converting the harness from OBD2 Siemens to a plug in to VEMS, also slimming down the harness from all the unneeded BS that I would no longer be using after.

The start...

starting to sort and shrink the harness...

88pin connector gone!

Pulling the spaghetti out...

Organizing the mess:

all cleaned up!

Used one of the O2 sensor connectors to use as my 4 BAR MAP sensor wiring that I will mount under the IM:

Finishing touch after two nights of work:

Yesterday I got all the rest of my gaskets that I needed to button up the head... so I installed the VANOS unit and buttoned down the valve cover...

Installed a fresh set of BKR7E's gapped to 0.024-25"...

and installed the COP's..

Then it was time to test fit the SPA manifold, unfortunately the flanges were cut and due to previous heat cycling it didn't want to slide over the exhaust studs). So I went and drilled all of the flange holes slightly larger on the manifold and while I was there drilling I also drilled a hole for my EGT sensor...

Manifold and turbo on the motor so I can choose where to put the drain..

By the looks of things I'm going to make it straight shot into the pan directly under the turbo instead of going past the turbo and using the 45 deg situation that the previous owner used, and I will be looking to making hard lines for the turbos water cooling instead of using the rubber hoses that came with the kit from Bob.

And of course due to the limited space and some very rusted manifold bolts I had to put in an order to BMW today for 24 new M54 exhaust manifold studs (they're shorter by a few mm) and nuts. Should be here tomorrow, which should allow me to get the motor back in the car at the latest on Saturday after installing the new RMS and the UUC twin disc
    Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 06-16-2013 at 12:02 PM.

My Cars
    M3's
    props for all that work you are putting in! quality work right there!

My Cars
    none
    Put a pressure sensor in the "collector". It will be very helpful to refrence that off of IM pressure. This is ideal to keep things safe when cranking up the boost. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new here..

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast