Thread: BMW 745Li - 2004 Transmission Problems

My Cars
    2004 745 li

BMW 745Li - 2004 Transmission Problems

Greetings all

I have recently purchased a 2004 745Li that has 98K miles on it. The car has not been driven for nearly two years. The problem is when the transmission transitions from the 2nd to the 3rd gear, there is senstation of a 'kick' and then the transmission transitions to the safe mode.

I have consulted three mechanics. One is of the opinion that the problem is valve body related, the other believes that the car needs a new transmission while the last mechanic states that since the car was idle for two years, the drive computer has to be reset or re-programmed.

Obviously all these differing opinions have me bewildered. I have searched the forums and although other posters have experienced a similar problem as mine, it appears that the resolution for each case was different. Furthermore there were hints of Bulletins being issued for this car that may have been related to the problem that I'm currently experiencing. Unfortunately I was not able to find much information on these Bulletins on the web.

Any help, hint or suggestion regarding this issue is greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    first of all you need to have the fluid level checked. check condition (does it smell burnt?) this is your cheapest route.

if the car has been "dead" for 2 yrs it prob would not hurt to have the software level updated. this is your next cheapest route. prob 1-2 hrs labor to update your car.

NEXT is to replace the mechatronic (valve body with control module). this will have to be coded/programmed to your car.

the most expensive is to replace your trans plus code/reprogram it to your car.

someone with BMW diag software and BMW experience is teh best way to go.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745Li
    *only way to go

My Cars
    03 525it
    These trannys have a square plastic/rubber seal on top of the valve body that cracks. Depending on what faults are stored this can be your problem. Take it to the dealer or to a respectable indy shop you know and have them check it out. There is an sib for this.