Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E36 M3 Speakers sound like crap

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li

E36 M3 Speakers sound like crap

Noob here but I'm completely stumped. I just installed a new head unit-Sony BT 3000p. When I turn the head unit on the stock speakers sound horrible. Im not sure if Im missing something with the stock amp not being powered on, or if the power from the head unit is not reaching the speakers?

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    hahahahha E36 M3 does sound like crap....

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    Its because the higher wattage from your new deck is being amplified by your amp. The stock deck has no where near the same power output.

In order to get any kind of good audio from the E36 you need to bypass the stock amp and at the very least match the impeadance of the OE speakers, but it's probably better to replace them completely.
    -'98 M3 Coupe
    -'03 M3 Coupe
    -'83 911 Coupe
    -'05 911 Coupe

My Cars
    1997 M3 2dr.
    I went through my stock amp with my x794 and it went fine...

My Cars
    M3, M3, 323is
    Question for you. Does you M3 have the HK system upgrade? Or is it just the normal amped one that comes with the M3?? If you have the HK system go buy this harness with the RCA's on it. Made by Metra 70-8591 This will help with your problem.

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Hmmm... do you have the wire for the AMP turn on wired up right?
    If the receiver signal isn't being sent to the amp, your sound will be pretty bad.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li

Bypassing Stock Amp

Quote Originally Posted by merlinfe View Post
    Its because the higher wattage from your new deck is being amplified by your amp. The stock deck has no where near the same power output.

In order to get any kind of good audio from the E36 you need to bypass the stock amp and at the very least match the impeadance of the OE speakers, but it's probably better to replace them completely.
    How do you bypass the stock amp?

[quote=SpeedDemon4x4;25083511]Question for you. Does you M3 have the HK system upgrade? Or is it just the normal amped one that comes with the M3?? If you have the HK system go buy this harness with the RCA's on it. Made by Metra 70-8591 This will help with your problem.

No I C33 setup, which is Alpine?

Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
    If the receiver signal isn't being sent to the amp, your sound will be pretty bad.
    I think that may be the problem. How can I check to see if the wire for the AMP turn on is wired up? I had a hole in the wall stereo shop install in, never again.
    Last edited by angel8oyz; 09-15-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 M3 2dr.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3
    +1

Sorry I don't have the solution, I did what your trying to do but it's been awhile. Lol

What I'd suggest is pulling the deck and rewiring it yourself, that way you know what goes where. It's pretty simple with the right harness.

My Cars
    1997 M3 2dr.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3
    +1

Sorry I don't have the solution, I did what your trying to do but it's been awhile. Lol

What I'd suggest is pulling the deck and rewiring it yourself, that way you know what goes where. It's pretty simple with the right harness.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    Quote Originally Posted by Addedatmosphere View Post
    +1

The previous owner hacked off the plug, so basically the stereo shop had to wire it without the plug. Do you know where I can find the diagram that labels each wire coming out of the car? There are a couple wires that aren't being used, maybe those could be the wire that powers the amp?

Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
    Do you happen to know where the amp fuse is located? I checked the ones on the car and they are fine, but I know there is one on the amp but cant find it.
    Last edited by angel8oyz; 09-16-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 M3 2dr.
    I don't have the diagram offhand, but if you type e36 stereo diagram in Google images you'll find one. I've used it several times.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    Quote Originally Posted by Addedatmosphere View Post
    I don't have the diagram offhand, but if you type e36 stereo diagram in Google images you'll find one. I've used it several times.
    The previous owner hacked off the harness so I can't identify anything without that. Thanks for the help everyone. I still can't figure it out. I took it to another stereo shop and had a different stereo installed, same thing. Still sounds like the speakers are not getting enough power, or not plugged up right.

My Cars
    Ducati, Miata, Subie
    Quote Originally Posted by angel8oyz View Post
    Noob here but I'm completely stumped. I just installed a new head unit-Sony BT 3000p. When I turn the head unit on the stock speakers sound horrible. Im not sure if Im missing something with the stock amp not being powered on, or if the power from the head unit is not reaching the speakers?
    Are you 100% positive the speakers are in-phase? If the previous owner hacked the harness, it's pretty easy to switch the + & - on one or more speaker leads. If you pressed the "LOUD" button, or whatever the hell they call it these days, and turned the treble/bass up to +10 - that'll make a $1000 speaker set sound like hell.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    Quote Originally Posted by BnGRacing View Post
    Are you 100% positive the speakers are in-phase? If the previous owner hacked the harness, it's pretty easy to switch the + & - on one or more speaker leads. If you pressed the "LOUD" button, or whatever the hell they call it these days, and turned the treble/bass up to +10 - that'll make a $1000 speaker set sound like hell.
    What is the + & - on the speaker leads? How can I determine if they are correct? The "LOUD" is not turned on nor is the treble/base up to +10.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li

Went with 6X9 with adapters instead, and you guessed it, still sounds like crapola.

So I guess my last resort is to bypass the factory amp? Any suggestions on how to bypass the factory amp and connect the rears directly to the aftermarket head unit?

My Cars
    H2,H2,HSE,M1009

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by angel8oyz View Post
    So I guess my last resort is to bypass the factory amp? Any suggestions on how to bypass the factory amp and connect the rears directly to the aftermarket head unit?
    Perhaps you should find a reputable stereo shop and let them sort it out...
    HamsM5
    2015 F80 M3 - Sakhir Orange/Individual Interior
    2015 X5 diesel
    1998 M3/4/6 Turbo - Estoril/Dove
    1986 Porsche 930 Turbo
    2006 Cayman S
    2004 C5 Z06
    1972 Camaro Z/28 RS

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    Thanks for the info.